MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

Agreed. Will probably pre-order on my next pay cheque. I usually don't because I'm so eager to play and hate waiting for it to come in the mail. But I got pretty into collecting cards and stuff last year so I would like the pre-order bonus stuff this year. 

17 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It's clear that I'm not in the loop with sports games because Polygon has published an article about how the presentation in this series is weak. I thought it was really good, but that's probably because I can only compare it with the previous sports games I played in the 1990s.

I've always heard that it is considered good in most places, and I play a couple of different sports games a year and would agree.

Yeah, I don't think it's bad. But I also feel like there's a lot more they could do with it. I remember when it first came out on the PS4 and they gushed about just how much more powerful and how much more they could do with the PS4 than the PS3, but it feels like they've plateaued already which can't possibly be true. 

But I agree with Liam. Compared to Madden and NHL, The Show has them beat. Though I still think NBA 2k series has the presentation gold medal locked down. 

• 3 weeks later...

Franchise blog release got pushed back to the 15th, must have needed time to come up with more ways to describe all the things they haven't changed.

• Haha 1

Well that's lame. I get that they make a lot from that Diamond Dynasty stuff, but I haven't cared about that game mode in any of the sports games and doubt I ever will. I've always been a franchise guy. I'll get this years, because I'm a sucker when it comes to the Show, but I'm not as excited as I've been in years past. 

• Like 2

To be fair, part of the problem with The Show is that it's so good that it's hard to actually make any notable improvements year-to-year.  They've probably gone as far as the current consoles will allow them to go.

I wouldn't expect another Show title to feel like a truly new game until PS5, whenever that comes out.

The only thing I can imagine would significantly improve MLB: The Show is to add more and deeper managerial functions to the game, easier times to find splits and all that kind of good stuff. But then you're basically stretching the game into OOTP territory, and the game itself is too action and user-controlled to really have a use for such depth to the franchise mode. 

Add an expansion team mode, and all the fun that comes along with it.  Let me create ballparks.  Hell, I want beefier operations options as well.  Let me set prices on stuff, run promotions, etc and if you do well, you make more money, which you can then use in free agency.

• Like 1

Expansion or Relocation through Franchise mode could be added. Re-signing players during their final contract year, instead of having to wait until free agency would be nice. Finding out that your star player is going to test the market because he's not happy with finishing outside of the post-season, would add layers to the trade deadline as I would probably want to try moving him to get some kind of return, as opposed to letting him walk during free agency and hoping that my compensatory draft pick works out.

4 and 6 man rotations being a legitimate thing in the game would be nice, as well.

Proper stat tracking for guys outside of the MLB would be nice too. I'd like to see how minor league guys did stats-wise in previous seasons.

I adore The Show, and Franchise is the only mode that I play. I could honestly be okay with what they have now as long as they keep making tweaks and fixes, and getting me updated rosters, new commentary, etc.... but if the above things were to be added, that would make me so happy.

Yup, Phases are literally the only change in franchise mode

The first words out of Ramone's mouth during the preview video are "We did a lot of work to streamline franchise mode."  Essentially, they've decided that the average person who plays this doesn't want to deal with anything other than playing the game and skipping large chunks of the season.

The Operation Sports forums are in full-blown meltdown with people cancelling their pre-orders. 

Reading through this year's changes to Franchise, I am probably going to just re-acquire The Show 17 to get my Franchise fix. I had it on disc, but wound up trading it in to get my wife something. It's pretty inexpensive on the digital store right now though, and may even have a temporary price drop when the new one comes out.

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm still going to get it. I always love the little details that change in-game. 

I am actually quite intrigued by the phases and how that might change the franchise mode. I guess my decision will come down to whether or not I bonus this month. If I bonus, I'll probably just spend the $80 to get The Show 18. If I don't, $30 for last year's game isn't too bad. Though, I may just end up talking myself into getting 18 anyways, because I sometimes let my irrational brain take over.