Sky Bet EFL 2016/17

Lineker

I think Newcastle are more likely to go back up, but there is a sense that teams will rise to the occasion when playing someone who has just dropped down. Added to that the additional workload in terms of scheduling, it can be tougher than it looks.

Oh undoubtedly. I just think they have an excellent squad, and I remember what happened the last time they came down. They won the league fairly easily and I think went unbeaten at home all season, or only lost one game or something.

Of course, they should have lost to us there...but Martin Woods hit a late penalty so badly it nearly hit me in the head, and I was in the top tier in the Leazes End, so high up I think I could just about see Big Ben from my seat.

• Like 2

I might get a season ticket this year and sit in the south stand. There is a ten foot drop at the end of the pitch like a death zone, I've been waiting for a player that isn't used to our ground go and try to jump the rail and end up in the bar under the south stand. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adam said:

Oh undoubtedly. I just think they have an excellent squad, and I remember what happened the last time they came down. They won the league fairly easily and I think went unbeaten at home all season, or only lost one game or something.

Of course, they should have lost to us there...but Martin Woods hit a late penalty so badly it nearly hit me in the head, and I was in the top tier in the Leazes End, so high up I think I could just about see Big Ben from my seat.

Hah, Martin Woods was on that sextape the Sunderland players made when Keane was gaffer. 

3 hours ago, Just Joe said:

Hah, Martin Woods was on that sextape the Sunderland players made when Keane was gaffer. 

Oh Donny Rovers are all over that. Off the top of my head, no pun intended, the participants were:

Chris Brown, who had two spells playing for us and is a well regarded forward born here.

Martin Woods who we've already mentioned and played for us for years.

Ben Alnwick, who had a loan spell with us but didn't play.

Liam Lawrence, never played for us but is from the nearby town of Retford.

Perhaps we recruited based on the video? Let's hope not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Oh Donny Rovers are all over that. Off the top of my head, no pun intended, the participants were:

Chris Brown, who had two spells playing for us and is a well regarded forward born here.

Martin Woods who we've already mentioned and played for us for years.

Ben Alnwick, who had a loan spell with us but didn't play.

Liam Lawrence, never played for us but is from the nearby town of Retford.

Perhaps we recruited based on the video? Let's hope not.

Makes for a hard team

• Like 1

I'm a little apprehensive about the start of the season, but there's some excitement in there too. Pre-season seems to have gone quite well, for what that's worth, and at least there's an experienced manager in charge this time round. Promotion would be a tall order, but I'd like to think that this squad is good enough to improve on last season's showing. A top-half finish would be nice.

• Like 1