Formula One 2017

Lineker

Long time coming, unfortunately. It was great to have a female team principal, but that ridiculous situation with van der Garde made her situation untenable then. I imagine she's been on thin ice ever since.

Might be interesting to see what happens with the Honda deal, though. If McLaren really are pulling out of the deal and Honda will only have Sauber left, will they maybe take it over as a works team?

This has been such a crazy race, and now we have Seb driving into Lewis, seemingly deliberately.

I love Baku. It so obviously shouldn't be a race track which cranks the difficulty up to 11.

And now Kimi and Sergio have un-retired!

• Like 1

That's one of the most exciting races I can remember in a long time. Shame about Stroll losing second but it's a great result for him, and I'll be eating my words about not deserving his F1 seat for a while it seems.

Stroll was probably one of the most consistent and cleaner drivers this weekend. Phenomenal stuff and the jump up by him in the last few weeks has been phenomenal.

But crazy to think that at so many stages of this race, Lewis, Seb, Max, Ocon, Perez and Massa could have won and then it was Danny Ricc...

Also I guess I have to eat my words about the circuit...

• Admin

That race was fucking bonkers. If things had worked out ever so slightly different you could had a Force India 1-2! 

Seb is now two penalty points away from a race ban - although some of those penalties fall off his record for Silverstone. He's going to have to keep his nose spectacularly clean in Austria in a fortnight. 

I haven't seen it yet (are there any highlights on C4?) but it sounds a mental race. Everyone seems to be asking how Vettel got away with a small penalty for essentially revenge driving into the side of another car, is that how it was or was Hamilton in the wrong for "brake testing" Vettel?

Either way, I hope they both keep crashing into each other. Great to see Ricciardo get the win, awesome for Lance Stroll in only his eighth race ever, and best of all...points for Alonso :w00t:

Oh also, was the Force India crash Ocon's fault or Perez's? Cos Perez took a lot of the flak when they cocked up before.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Everyone seems to be asking how Vettel got away with a small penalty for essentially revenge driving into the side of another car, is that how it was or was Hamilton in the wrong for "brake testing" Vettel?

It's really 50/50, but I assume British tv will make it differently so.

The thing is, Hamilton was leading the race so he can back up the pack as much as he wants when the safety car is preparing to go in. But he slammed on the brakes right out of a somewhat blind corner, and really didn't give Vettel a chance to avoid slamming the car's nose into the back of Hamilton. It's a really dickish move, and with a guy like Hamilton it's hard to know whether or not he was doing it deliberately, because he's the type of person to do that.

On the other hand, Vettel was really close on Hamilton which caused him to get brakechecked in the first place. At the same time, he shouldn't have flown off the handle and smacked tyre-to-tyre with Hamilton in anger, which is a really dangerous move to do in any case and could have ended up disasterous if Hamilton had braked or sped up (Vettel smacking into Ham's sidepod instead of clanging the tyres, which would cause a massive pile up with the grid so bunched up.).

Ultimately, I feel that Hamilton got off easy and should've gotten penalized. At the same time, Vettel deserves the punishment too. And karma being karma, Hamilton's head rest popping loose pretty much had the same effect as a penalty.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Adam said:

I haven't seen it yet (are there any highlights on C4?) but it sounds a mental race. Everyone seems to be asking how Vettel got away with a small penalty for essentially revenge driving into the side of another car, is that how it was or was Hamilton in the wrong for "brake testing" Vettel?

Either way, I hope they both keep crashing into each other. Great to see Ricciardo get the win, awesome for Lance Stroll in only his eighth race ever, and best of all...points for Alonso :w00t:

Oh also, was the Force India crash Ocon's fault or Perez's? Cos Perez took a lot of the flak when they cocked up before.

Probably Ocon's if anyone but I'd say a racing incident. C4 had the race live so I doubt they have a highlights show too.

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

It's really 50/50, but I assume British tv will make it differently so.

The thing is, Hamilton was leading the race so he can back up the pack as much as he wants when the safety car is preparing to go in. But he slammed on the brakes right out of a somewhat blind corner, and really didn't give Vettel a chance to avoid slamming the car's nose into the back of Hamilton. It's a really dickish move, and with a guy like Hamilton it's hard to know whether or not he was doing it deliberately, because he's the type of person to do that.

On the other hand, Vettel was really close on Hamilton which caused him to get brakechecked in the first place. At the same time, he shouldn't have flown off the handle and smacked tyre-to-tyre with Hamilton in anger, which is a really dangerous move to do in any case and could have ended up disasterous if Hamilton had braked or sped up (Vettel smacking into Ham's sidepod instead of clanging the tyres, which would cause a massive pile up with the grid so bunched up.).

Ultimately, I feel that Hamilton got off easy and should've gotten penalized. At the same time, Vettel deserves the punishment too. And karma being karma, Hamilton's head rest popping loose pretty much had the same effect as a penalty.

Lewis Hamilton did not brakecheck Vettel nor did he decelerate or lift off the gas. Telemetry data that the stewards checked showed that he did nothing wrong and that he had done the exact same during the previous restart. Vettel was too keen to get on the gas to stop Perez getting the run on him like he did after the previous safety car. I think Vettel got off lightly for doing something so blatantly dangerous whilst the safety car was out on track.

Edited by The LBTN Express