Formula One 2017

Lineker

Because there are no motorracing threads out there, I'll just put this here.

Really gutting news, because whilst even though i've always been a fan of Rossi, I find that their title fight in 2006 was what really pushed me into motorsports as a whole, and got me interested in all sorts of motorracing.

Also with the death of Michele Scarponi less than a month ago under the same circumstances, It's crazy to think going out with a bicycle is still  dangerous in developed countries.

World Superbike rider and 2006 MotoGP World Champion Nicky Hayden has passed away aged 35, as a result of injuries sustained in a cycling accident last week, the hospital treating him has announced.

Hayden was out cycling in the Italian city of Rimini, on the Adriatic coast, following the San Marino round of the WSBK season, when a car struck him.

He was initially taken to a hospital near Rimini, before being transferred to Maurizio Bufalini Hospital in Cesena, where he was diagnosed with "severe brain damage".

Updates over following days repeated that the American remained in a "very critical" condition, with his "clinical picture unchanged".

On Monday, the hospital announced his death.

Hayden's fiancée Jackie, mother Rose and brother Tommy were at his side.

In a statement, Tommy Hayden said: "On behalf of the whole Hayden family and Nicky's fiancée Jackie I would like to thank everyone for their messages of support.

"It has been a great comfort to us all knowing that Nicky has touched so many people's lives in such a positive way.

"Although this is obviously a sad time, we would like everyone to remember Nicky at his happiest – riding a motorcycle.

"He dreamed as a kid of being a pro rider and not only achieved that but also managed to reach the pinnacle of his chosen sport in becoming World Champion. We are all so proud of that.

"Apart from these 'public' memories, we will also have many great and happy memories of Nicky at home in Kentucky, in the heart of the family. We will all miss him terribly.

"It is also important for us to thank all the hospital staff for their incredible support – they have been very kind.

"With the further support of the authorities in the coming days we hope to have Nicky home soon."

Hayden graduated to MotoGP with Honda in 2003, taking his first victory two years later, before edging out Valentino Rossi for the 2006 crown.

He collected several more podiums with Honda before switching to rival marque Ducati for 2009, his final rostrum finish coming in early 2011.

After his final full-time MotoGP seasons with Aspar, Hayden returned to World Superbikes in 2016, a championship he initially appeared in back in 2002.

He made two further MotoGP outings last year, replacing injured Honda riders, some 10 years on from his title win with the Japanese manufacturer.

Edited by Jasonmufc

No Hamilton in the top 10 immediately made qualifying much much more interesting. Even though I doubted he would've put it on the top row either way. I'm very happy for Kimi to finally break his pole position dry spell of epic proportions, and he drove immaculately on that pole lap.

Hoping a few guys can spring a few surprises come race day. With the track as small as it is, even the McLaren's looked pacey and capable and I wouldn't put past Button to work himself up the grid and put himself somewhere in the top 10. Also hoping one of the Red Bull boys can make a push at a podium spot, maybe even go for a win if there's drama on circuit which there often is at Monaco.

Also, can Max Verstappen finish a Monaco GP on his third attempt?

This is the first race I'm properly watching this year, I really like how beautiful the cars are now. Monaco isn't generally the most exciting of races to watch but I love seeing these guys navigate what must be such a difficult track to get round 78 times.

5 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Oh Jenson :(. Thank God Wehrlein is alright though.

Gutted for Jenson, hope he still pee'd in the seat for Nando :)

Hairy moment for Wehrlein, too. Glad he's okay, he really seems cursed in that he's finding ways to get flipped over in any racing class he drives in.

Also Eriksson dinging it into the wall when unlapping, the pillock.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I love how Monaco is one of the oldest races and their podium ceremony is still complete chaos.

Looking forward to hearing what a pissed off Kimi has to say, although "not a lot" is the likely answer.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Raikkonen looks so sour on that podium.

I enjoyed that race, not the most thrilling but nice to see a good, clean race and it's always a pleasure to here the Italian national anthem up there.

For a guy that literally has one emotion, you could still see that Kimi was ready to shank someone.

• Like 1

This is the first IndyCar race I've ever properly watched and it's quite enjoyable, shame about the prolonged yellow flag periods and ad breaks though.

I'm still hoping for a Fernando win but if Max Chilton pulls it out that would be great too.

Aaaand Fernando's engine blows up. Because of course it does. Fuck off Honda.

Sato winning is pretty cool, especially given the setback he had during a pitstop. Having Brits finish third and fourth is nice too.

I know everything won't be the spectacle of the Indy 500 but this has convinced me to start watching more IndyCar races.

• Like 1

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sportswriter-tweets-japanese-indy-500-winner-makes-him-uncomfortable-n765826

Sportswriter Tweets That Japanese Indy 500 Winner Makes Him ‘Uncomfortable’

A Denver sportswriter is out of his job after triggering an onslaught of criticism for tweeting that a Japanese driver winning Sunday's Indianapolis 500 made him "uncomfortable."

Terry Frei, a sports reporter for the Denver Post, sent the questionable tweet shortly after Japanese race car driver Takuma Sato hailed victory in the illustrious Indy 500.

"Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend," he wrote.