Formula One 2017

Lineker

• Admin

Pascal Wehrlein will skip the Chinese Grand Prix, and could miss the Bahrain race too, as he battles to regain fitness after pulling out of Formula 1's season-opener in Australia.

The Sauber F1 driver missed 2017's first race in Melbourne, after struggling through Friday practice and deciding he wouldn't be fit enough to complete the race.

The Mercedes junior suffered a back injury from a crash during January's Race of Champions event, which forced him to skip the first pre-season F1 test in Barcelona and avoid heavy physical training while he recovered.

The FIA passed him fit to race in Australia, but Wehrlein only completed short stints during the second pre-season test in Spain and struggled to achieve consistent lap times during the second Friday practice session in Melbourne.

Ferrari third driver Antonio Giovinazzi stepped in at the last minute to replace Wehrlein in Australia, finishing 12th on his F1 debut, and will continue to race for Sauber until Wehrlein regains fitness.

Sauber hopes Wehrlein will return to action for the third race of the season in Bahrain, but anticipates the 22-year-old may have to wait until the Russian Grand Prix at the end of April to make his comeback.

"For me the most important [thing] is that I can train intensively to ensure a 100% performance from my side as soon as possible," Wehrlein said.

"I will then be well-prepared for my first complete grand prix weekend for the Sauber F1 team.

"Hopefully this can be in Bahrain but, if not, then we will take the time it needs until Russia to make sure I am completely ready."

Sucks for Pascal, and I'm sure it might also spell the end for most F1 drivers to partake in the ROC every December, since their teams will seriously refuse them to do anything of risk in between F1.

At the same time, Gio looked good in Australia despite only jumping in before quali, I think he might impress further in China. Probably leapfrog the Toro's by way of a Ferrari engine.

• Admin

Virtually zero Friday running in China due to the local airport being shut (bad weather conditions), which would have meant that the medical helicopter would have been unable to land there in an emergency.

The Malaysian Grand Prix will be dropped from the Formula 1 calendar next year, after a joint decision was made with grand prix chiefs to end its deal early.

The long-term future of the Sepang event had been in doubt for several months, after government ministers announced last November that they would not fund an extension of the original deal that ran to the end of 2018.

The decision to not continue with F1 was based on the high costs of holding the event, allied to low ticket sales.

However, following discussions with new F1 owners Liberty Media, a deal has been reached for the contract to be terminated after this year's race, with the event being replaced by the returning German Grand Prix in 2018.

F1's managing director of commercial operations Sean Bratches said in a statement: "It's always sad to say goodbye to a member of the Formula 1 family.

"Over nearly two decades, the Malaysian Formula 1 fans have proven themselves to be some of the sport's most passionate supporters.

"As we said in Melbourne, we have big plans for bringing our global fan base closer to the sport than ever before, providing an enhanced digital experience and creating new events.

"We're looking forward to talking more about these plans as the season progresses.

"We will have 21 exciting events to look forward to in the 2018 calendar, with the additions of the French and German races.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Sepang International Circuit for their hospitality and professionalism over the years, and their ongoing commitment to motorsport."

Although Malaysia has not been able to make a success of its F1 race, the track remains fully committed to MotoGP, which has attracted bumper crowds and generates a profit for the circuit.

I like Malaysia as well, but to be honest if you gave me the option of France or Germany against Malaysia, I'd choose either of the former. The fact we're (hopefully) getting both makes it an even easier choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

Sucks to see Malaysia go, definitely one of the best Tilke circuits (up there with COTA & Turkey). 

God, I miss the Turkish GP so much. That track was aces, it was such an amazing sight to see cars try to take as much speed as possible through the double apex turn 8

3 minutes ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

So handily, Chase Carey has now agreed "in principle" with Erdogan to Istanbul returning!

As much as I proclaimed my love for the race a week earlier, I have mixed feelings about Erdogan getting his ego stroked more.

• Admin

0d49b0736f03c24427ccb70920a3caf9.jpg

Autosport can reveal how the 'shield' cockpit protection concept, presented to Formula 1 drivers last week as an alternative to the halo or aeroscreen, could look.

F1 is edging closer to a decision on what type of head protection system will be introduced for 2018, with the new canopy-style solution known as the shield revealed to drivers in last Friday's briefing at the Chinese Grand Prix.

Autosport technical editor Giorgio Piola's artist's impression shows how the design displayed to drivers at Shanghai could look when fitted to a generic 2017 F1 car.

Rather than the shield being an attachment around the edge of the cockpit like the halo and aeroscreen, it is more integral to the nose section of the car and begins much further forward than the two ideas already trialled.

The sloping see-through screen does not extend fully over the cockpit, even though it does end up higher than the driver's crash helmet.

Drivers were told in the Shanghai briefing that while the design has proved effective in early testing for smaller pieces of debris, it is not as effective when it comes to deflecting larger items such as wheels.

But given the resistance to the halo from some quarters, it has been suggested that the shield could present the best compromise between safety and aesthetics.

bbdbcddfe92df444688fbf4e100ca76b.jpg

Some drivers found it more agreeable than the halo, while others were not convinced.

Felipe Massa, who suffered a head injury when he was hit by a spring during qualifying for the 2009 Hungarian GP, argued a final decision on which cockpit system to use should be made only on safety grounds.

"To be honest it looks really nice," said Massa, when asked by Autosport for his opinion on the shield.

"It's beautiful compared to the halo, but I don't think we need to go for how beautiful it is, but how better it is for the safety. That's the only answer we gave to them.

"If you can make it better, nicer and safer then it's done.

"Maybe for my accident this new system could have been OK, but for some other accidents maybe not.

"The wheels are much heavier now, so if you have a wheel flying and it hits it, it will not protect [you]. So I push for safety."

F1 teams and the FIA have agreed to introduce a form of cockpit protection for next season, but agreement has not yet been reached on which concept it should be.

Majority approval on the matter is required before the end of this month, otherwise the FIA will need unanimous backing from teams - something that may not be possible as several of them are not convinced about the need to cover cockpits.