UEFA Champions League 2017/18

Lineker

They got away somewhat lightly, surely Benatia should have been given a second yellow for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Gazz said:

They got away somewhat lightly, surely Benatia should have been given a second yellow for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

The rules changed, didn't they? A penalty was deemed harsh enough in those instances.

13 hours ago, DMo Salah said:

Definite penalty. Absolutely daft. 

Just seen it for the first time, then watched it multiple times with the replays via the app - and it seems like a soft decision to me, especially at such a crucial stage of the match. Benatia's foot did come around, but Vasquez was looking to go down the entire time. Now I know why there's such a split opinion on it!

2 minutes ago, Nerf said:

The rules changed, didn't they? A penalty was deemed harsh enough in those instances.

Something like that yeah. Violent conduct in the box is still a red, and purposely bringing a player down with no attempt to try to win the ball is also a red - in this case, it wouldn't be.

I'm not talking about a straight red card though, I'm talking about a booking, which you will still get for denying a goalscoring opportunity and since Benatia had already being booked, it's a sending off.

• Like 1

It was a penalty but I can understand Buffons reaction. Not saying he was correct to blow his top but he knew it was his last chance, Juve were in a strong position to go through, him and probably ever other Juve player were probably expecting the last minute penalty the same as me and everyone I spoke to during the game did. It was a terrible way to end the game for them and it was a bit soft cos he didn't even look like he was trying to attack the ball, just waiting for contact to go down.

Buffon was wrong to go nuts but it isn't that hard to see why he did.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'm not talking about a straight red card though, I'm talking about a booking, which you will still get for denying a goalscoring opportunity and since Benatia had already being booked, it's a sending off.

Oh, I dunno, then. Presumably Oliver subscribed to the same line of thinking that a second yellow would be too harsh.

To add, scenes like you saw with Buffon are probably symptomatic of the lack of transparency with referees. Governing bodies are obsessed with keeping everything under wraps, but occasionally we get snippets like Lee Mason pretty much admitting he's guessing as he goes along, or Mark Clattenburg boasting that he wouldn't give decisions to a team if the fans had given a hard time, or whatever. Stuff like that adds up, subconscious resentment begins to form, and then it inevitably boils over.

True, but if he wants Oliver to calmly and rationally explain his decision, then he's going to have to stop screaming in his face from an inch away so he's got opportunity to speak.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MadJack said:

How anyone can side with Buffon over this is ridiculous to me. He's in his face, screaming at him. Just completely lost it.

I don't think anyone has taken his side? Just explored how/why his reaction was what it was.

The time of the match is irrelevant, a foul is a foul in minute 1 or minute 95. You can see why it's a foul, and certainly Vasquez is about to score when the contact comes, so Buffon should spent more time telling at his own team for being inept in defence in injury time rather than the referee.

19 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

The time of the match is irrelevant, a foul is a foul in minute 1 or minute 95. You can see why it's a foul, and certainly Vasquez is about to score when the contact comes, so Buffon should spent more time telling at his own team for being inept in defence in injury time rather than the referee.

Eh, emotion is itself irrational. What he did was wrong but it's hard to really condemn too harshly.

5 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Eh, emotion is itself irrational. What he did was wrong but it's hard to really condemn too harshly.

I agree, I understand his reaction but I certainly don't condone it. And I feel a bit for the ref cos he has a thankless task.

Also, I'm going to stop typing on my phone because the dumb auto-correct is making me look stupid in lots of posts at the moment <_<.

Yeah Buffon is getting away with this because of who he is. He's acting a complete dickhead, fuck him.

Oliver made the correct decision in every facet of that incident. His referee intimidation both during the game and afterwards with his comments are a joke. Ref should be commended because so many others would have bottled it with the occasion (Howard Webb 2010). 

I'm sure Juve are well used to getting the rub domestically and refs rolling over for them and this is the consequences of that perk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I've already agreed his actions were unjustified and crossed the line, no question. But saying the time is irrelevant is silly. It makes no difference to the nature of the foul, yes, but it makes all the difference to your emotional reaction. If Juve went 3 nil ahead and immediately conceded the exact same foul and the exact same penalty in the 62nd minute rather than the 92nd, there's no chance Buffon reacts like that. Guaranteed. You'd be pissed off but he would be able to try and recover. I'd say his eruption was very likely entirely because it was in the last minute of the game that handed the tie to Madrid.

The defence absolutely should have done better and absolutely shouldn't have given away the foul. Buffon absolutely acted like a dickhead. He was absolutely in the wrong. But it's silly to act like there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to react.

He was 100% wrong but I know for a fact if Arsenal were to concede a last minute penalty that puts them out of the Europa league tonight I will be fuming with everyone. I wouldn't have the composure to think critically of my teams defence, and Im not even at the game let alone playing.

I dunno, I'm rambling now. I think some people (not necessarily you) are overreacting and being a bit holier than thou about it. Buffons an asshole but who wouldn't be in that scenario?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kaney said:

I've already agreed his actions were unjustified and crossed the line, no question. But saying the time is irrelevant is silly. It makes no difference to the nature of the foul, yes, but it makes all the difference to your emotional reaction. If Juve went 3 nil ahead and immediately conceded the exact same foul and the exact same penalty in the 62nd minute rather than the 92nd, there's no chance Buffon reacts like that. Guaranteed. You'd be pissed off but he would be able to try and recover. I'd say his eruption was very likely entirely because it was in the last minute of the game that handed the tie to Madrid.

The defence absolutely should have done better and absolutely shouldn't have given away the foul. Buffon absolutely acted like a dickhead. He was absolutely in the wrong. But it's silly to act like there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to react.

He was 100% wrong but I know for a fact if Arsenal were to concede a last minute penalty that puts them out of the Europa league tonight I will be fuming with everyone. I wouldn't have the composure to think critically of my teams defence, and Im not even at the game let alone playing.

I dunno, I'm rambling now. I think some people (not necessarily you) are overreacting and being a bit holier than thou about it. Buffons an asshole but who wouldn't be in that scenario?

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it was irrelevant to Buffon's reaction, just to the decision of the referee. He should always give a penalty there if he thinks it is, which I do too. No doubt the circumstance of it all is likely to illicit that kind of reaction from Buffon and the Juve players, I'd be the same I'm sure, but it doesn't excuse it. Refs shouldn't be treated that way. I'm not surprised the story about the Sunday league ref getting assaulted last weekend is gaining mainstream traction today in the wake of last night's events.