Formula One 2018

Lineker

• Admin

Robert Kubica is understood to have a race drive on offer from Williams for the 2019 Formula 1 season, as well as a chance to take a reserve role with Ferrari.

Kubica has some backing in place for a potential F1 race seat next year, and it's believed that with other options such as Esteban Ocon not working out for Williams, and an expected title sponsorship deal with Rich Energy going to Haas, the Pole is now top of the team's list to partner George Russell, with a firm offer to race next year.

However, he's also in demand at Ferrari, which will lose the services of both Daniil Kvyat and Antonio Giovinazzi next year, and is keen to have a driver familiar with current F1 cars and tyres to spearhead its simulator programme.

Although he wouldn't elaborate on his options, Kubica says he will make a decision on his future in the next few days, after this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

"I think we are quite close to the decision," Kubica told Autosport. "From my point of view I'm getting there, and I have a deadline very soon, in my head.

"It will be within a few days, what I decide, what I want to do, and what I think is the best direction for me.

"I'm in a comfortable situation, and this is what I've been saying for a few weeks.

"I will be doing something which in one way or another attracts me, and gives me the confidence that I will be doing something that I enjoy.

"But a lot depends on making my mind up on what direction I want to go, if I want to race, and where to race, if I can combine things, and if I can focus only on one thing, as I did this year."

Pressed on whether a long-term arrangement such as a Ferrari deal would be his priority he said: "Maybe the wish of driving and coming back to F1 is bigger than the wish of a long project. I leave a lot to personal conclusions.

"When I'm saying I want to make my mind up, it's also about what I want to do with my future.

"I'm not looking only for the next three months, or one year, but what's is my feeling.

"It's not because once I decide everybody is waiting with open arms, there are also things to look at and see how it can work.

"I have a long flight back from Brazil, it's good to have last thoughts, and then we'll see."

Kubica admitted that a relationship with Ferrari would have obvious appeal.

"I said always when you are a small child you dream about F1, then once you are established as an F1 driver there are two things, either you win championships, or you drive in the red car," he added.

"I cannot look behind, I have to look forward. It could be very interesting, but I have to see more about working with a top team on a high level.

"It would be a good opportunity from a professional point of view, but also from an emotional point of view it can be something interesting."

KUBICA HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO

So Vettel had an incident at the weigh bridge during qualifying where, among other things, he drove directly at a steward trying to stop him going on the scales before they were ready.

He does have these bizarre moments of anger-fuelled madness.

19 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

That's entirely Max's fault there. Ocon is entitled to unlap himself.

A 10-second penalty for that is a joke. 

Sure, you're entitled to unlap yourself... But why should he, what did he have to gain to start battling Max because the moment he unlapped himself he'd be blue flagged again and required to yield the position back.

That's the thing with F1 blue flags, the car in a lower position MUST yield position and isn't allowed to race. So basically Ocon messed up his own race, but also arguably cost Max a victory on top of that.

It wasn't a good move from Ocon, unnecessarily risky.

29 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

That's entirely Max's fault there. Ocon is entitled to unlap himself.

A 10-second penalty for that is a joke. 

Like I say, I'm against unlapping in the first place, but if you look at it from the hypothetical that they were racing for position Verstappen was ahead and on the racing line, Ocon didn't back out and hit him.

I'd love to know what Max said on the team radio after the race that caused them to bleep out five seconds of dialogue.

• Admin

Robert Kubica has agreed a deal to race for Williams in the 2019 Formula 1 season, Autosport understands.

An announcement is expected early in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend.

Williams's decision to bring Kubica into its race team means he will make an incredible return to the F1 grid eight years after the rallying accident in Italy that left him with severe arm injuries and interrupted his racing career.

Autosport learned earlier this month that the 33-year-old had moved to the top of Williams's list for its remaining 2019 vacancy and was considering a firm offer from it to race again.

Kubica had originally appeared to be set for a 2018 Williams race seat last winter.

He had first been in contention for a Renault drive after a series of summer tests, having begun to push harder for a shock F1 return following a previous motorsport comeback in rallying.

Kubica then moved into the frame at Williams late last year when Renault elected not to proceed with him.

A 2018 Williams race deal appeared to be done, before a late change of plan meant Sergey Sirotkin was brought in alongside Lance Stroll instead and Kubica ended up in a test and reserve role.

That position has allowed Williams to get to know Kubica more and assess his contribution behind the scenes, across five days of testing and two GP Friday practice sessions.

Kubica has also attracted further sponsorship from his native Poland that he can bring to Williams.

Williams is expected to announce Kubica as George Russell's 2019 team-mate in a press conference in the Abu Dhabi paddock on Thursday, at the track where he made his last F1 race start in November 2010.

Kubica, who was at the Williams factory this week conducting his regular simulator work, had also received an approach from Ferrari to become its simulator driver.

Though that would have enabled Kubica to join the team with which he had a future F1 contract prior to his devastating rally crash, he hinted in Brazil earlier this month that the prospect of racing again was potentially more tempting.

"Maybe the wish of driving and coming back to F1 is bigger than the wish of a long project. I leave a lot to personal conclusions," he told Autosport.

"When I'm saying I want to make my mind up, it's also about what I want to do with my future.

"I'm not looking only for the next three months, or one year, but what is my feeling."

FUCK YEAH CHOO CHOO HYPE TRAIN

16 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Holy shit, Kubica returning? How is that even possible?!

- Kubica showing in tests that despite having partial function in one arm, he still has the pace to keep up with the drivers.
- George Russell needing a mentor for next season, and Kubica being a perfect one.
- Kubica being well liked by Williams' engineers in terms of working on the car and being able to communicate to them and help develop the car.
- Williams is going to be shit next year, they are in dire need of good sponsors, and an older driver who also has the feel good story he has will possibly attract sponsors a bit better than a duo of youngsters.
- Williams really has nothing to lose at this point.

Either way, fuck yeah, Kubica hype train! 

• Like 1