FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

33 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Case in point right there.

Oh, and again.

@GoN_ just out of interest, what's the national opinion of the Portuguese players like Pepe and Quaresma being such complete dicks?

I think pretty much the same as the rest of the world, really... They are dickheads, but Pepe is by far our best center-back (even if most of the time we are horrified by the sight of him possibly losing his head and getting sent off). As for Quaresma, people just think of him as an idiot with a butt-load of talent. Now if you ask a Porto fan, chances are he will simply tell you that they are awesome. :P

4 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

How has the referee given a penalty there?! 

He has lost total control of this game. Totally.

I think the missed penalty was a good call, but he lost control of the game there. From that moment on, Iran only tried to get a penalty or a red. I think Ronaldo could have been sent off, even though I don't think he wanted to really elbow the other guy. I think there should have been a penalty on a William charge over one of Iran's players and I totally don't think that last penalty should have been called.

Can't say I pity Iran after that second half. They tried their best to play the ref. 

Oh here's something a Portuguese "meme maker" did after the shit Pepe pulled with Morocco:

DgJPN0SWsAITw1H.jpg

:D

If that wasn't Ronaldo then it's a red card. It's either a red or nothing, the ref bottled it or FIFA were in his ear to keep golden boy in for the 2nd round

Was also never a pen to Iran so I guess it evened itself out!

10 hours ago, Troynisia said:

VAR dicked me out of a fiver. :( 

VAR meant you honourably are now a fiver poorer

9 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT

2 minutes ago, Switzerlineker said:

Hawksbee and Jacobs are alright.

Max Rushden and Barry Glendenning are good on the weekend. Hawksbee and Jacobs are enjoyable when I am working.

• Like 1

• Admin

Switzerland’s Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri have escaped a ban following their controversial celebrations in the 2-1 World Cup win over Serbia last Friday.

The pair could have faced two-match bans if Fifa had decided their celebrations broke rules on political and offensive messages.

Xhaka and Shaqiri scored in the Group E match and were then charged after they celebrated by putting their hands together to form a double-headed eagle, similar to the one on the Albanian flag.

This nationalist symbol risked inflaming tensions in the Balkans among Serbians – who do not recognise Kosovo’s independence – and ethnic Albanians.

Stoke City’s Shaqiri was born in Kosovo and the Arsenal midfielder Xhaka was born to Albanian parents who were from Kosovo. Xhaka’s father was a political prisoner following the 1986 student demonstrations in Yugoslavia against the communist government in Belgrade. Xhaka’s brother Taulant plays for Albania’s national side.

The Football Association of Serbia (FSS) had revealed it would complain to Fifa about Shaqiri’s boots – which bear the flag of Kosovo – and the display of “several controversial flags” during Friday night’s match in Kaliningrad.

However, a statement from Fifa on Monday confirmed that Xhaka and Shaqiri had been fined 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,632) each and Stephan Lichtsteiner 5,000 Swiss francs (£3,816), with all three also given warnings, having “infringed the Fifa disciplinary code for unsporting behaviour contrary to the principles of fair play.”

33 minutes ago, Switzerlineker said:

Switzerland’s Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri have escaped a ban following their controversial celebrations in the 2-1 World Cup win over Serbia last Friday.

The pair could have faced two-match bans if Fifa had decided their celebrations broke rules on political and offensive messages.

Xhaka and Shaqiri scored in the Group E match and were then charged after they celebrated by putting their hands together to form a double-headed eagle, similar to the one on the Albanian flag.

This nationalist symbol risked inflaming tensions in the Balkans among Serbians – who do not recognise Kosovo’s independence – and ethnic Albanians.

Stoke City’s Shaqiri was born in Kosovo and the Arsenal midfielder Xhaka was born to Albanian parents who were from Kosovo. Xhaka’s father was a political prisoner following the 1986 student demonstrations in Yugoslavia against the communist government in Belgrade. Xhaka’s brother Taulant plays for Albania’s national side.

The Football Association of Serbia (FSS) had revealed it would complain to Fifa about Shaqiri’s boots – which bear the flag of Kosovo – and the display of “several controversial flags” during Friday night’s match in Kaliningrad.

However, a statement from Fifa on Monday confirmed that Xhaka and Shaqiri had been fined 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,632) each and Stephan Lichtsteiner 5,000 Swiss francs (£3,816), with all three also given warnings, having “infringed the Fifa disciplinary code for unsporting behaviour contrary to the principles of fair play.”

A really interesting article on all of this and on Serbia's toxic nationalism problem:

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/serbs-rage-at-albanians-football-celebration-is-hypocritical-06-25-2018

6 minutes ago, Hobo said:

A really interesting article on all of this and on Serbia's toxic nationalism problem:

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/serbs-rage-at-albanians-football-celebration-is-hypocritical-06-25-2018

The first two paragraphs were great but midway through the third I stopped reading.