Taskmaster

K

On 16/04/2021 at 11:33, Skummy said:

My girlfriend straight away asked why the others weren't wrapping up each leg individually. It never would have occurred to me to do that. 

I was immediately gobsmacked that four of them wrapped both legs together. Maybe it's because I have watched every series plus the NZ version in less than a year, but I can tell a two-parter task from a mile away!

2 hours ago, Charlie Tango said:

Did anybody else notice the points for Sarah (I think that's her name) being neutered somewhat with the prize task? Her guitar was the best prize of the bunch but picked up just a couple of points. Greg going a bit early this time to pull everybody together in the season standings.

That's fine with me! Taskmaster is like the TV show equivalent of the mini-games on Mario Party - and that game fucking loves parity.

I think it was more forgetfulness than ambivalence toward his wishes, but yeah. Shouldn’t have happened.

God. When we finally learned the meaning of the title, I absolutely lost it. I am so glad Mike is a phenomenally good sport.

• Like 1

I've been catching up on the Taskmaster podcast, and for Series 1 Episode 3 they have Josh Widdecombe on. He revealed that his daughter Pearl had been born three days before he started the Champion of Champions series, and when he got into his dressing room the producers and Alex had left a task on the table, which said:

Dear Pearl

Have the best life ever.

Your time starts now.

It's now framed on her bedroom wall. It got me all teary-eyed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GA! said:

I worried slightly while binging Taskmaster last year that they'd run out of incredible contestants as it went along, but they've had Johnny Vegas and Mike Wozniak back-to-back. What a wonderful show. :wub:

there's still infinite people i want on the show. They have barely even scratched the surface of the original edinburgh lineup:

Dan Atkinson, Tom Basden, Jarred Christmas, James Dowdeswell, Rick Edwards, Tim Fitzhigham, Stuart Goldsmith, Steve Hall, Tim Key, Lloyd Langford, Josie Long, Guy Morgan, Al Pitcher, Mark Olver, Mark Watson, Henning Wehn, Joe Wilkinson, Lloyd Woolf, Mike Wozniak, and Tom Wrigglesworth.

Only four of those have appeared. I'd love to have Josie Long, Rick Edwards, Al Pitcher, Henning Wehn and Jarred Christmas on.

• Like 1

This is one of my favourite casts - Mike is all time, and although I was a bit iffy about Sarah Kendall at the start she's really come into her own as the series has progressed and has been a great sport. Charlotte Ritchie has also been incredible fun, and contrary to a lot of people I've enjoyed Jamali to. It's a bit surprising that Lee Mack has actually been the least memorable cast member this series - he's been pretty good, but I expected him to be great. 

I'm not sure whether the show has just got better at dealing with it, but they also all seem so much more comfortable without a crowd than last season. It's a real shame this cast didn't get the chance to perform in front of a live crowd, but it's still been so much fun and some of the tasks have been great. 

From what I can piece together of the studio filming, seasons 10, 11 and later this year's season 12 were all done around the same time (a year ago according to Lee on this week's podcast), so it's probably the different groups of people reacting to the situation in different ways.

It means that even if all the restrictions are lifted by September/October, the next season will probably still not have a live crowd, unless they only did 10-11 at the same time, and the recorded tasks will still be social-distanced. I'm fairly sure Alex has said all three seasons were grouped together though.

2 hours ago, Azazel said:

I only know who one of those people are, but some of my favorite cast members lately have all be people who I never heard of before the show so I'm looking forward to it.

Spoiler

Alan Davies is a comedian, best known now as the panellist from QI, as well as the star of the Sherlock-like crime series Jonathan Creek

Guz Khan has his own Sitcom, Man Like Mobeen, which is incredible. It goes to some hard places for a sitcom, it's really enjoyable.

Victoria Coren Mitchell is a television personality probably best known for being the host of the incredibly difficult quiz show only connect. She is razor sharp, and has won over two million quid on the professional poker circuit.

The other two I'm less familiar with

On 09/05/2021 at 07:48, Charlie Tango said:

This may paint me in a poor light but I had absolutely no idea who Mike Wozniak was until this series. I've since began watching Man Down from the start, I'd been told to watch it for years but it's been one of those on my Netflix list I never got round to.

He has a really new podcast with two other comedians called Three Bean Salad, which is probably one of the funniest things i've ever listened to. i really recommend it.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Desiree is an American stand-up that's been in the UK for a few years, and I have seen her on Frankie Boyle's roundtable programmes. 

Morgana is someone that I only recognise as the eccentric neighbour in Bob Mortimer and Vic Reeves' sitcom 'House of Fools' from quite a few years ago.

• Like 1

Mike Wozniak is... a human being of no possible comparison. This has been a really good series, from Mike's utter madness to Charlotte's infectious sweetness, it covered everything.

Season 12 looks interesting too, Morgana is fairly crazy from what I remember, and I've always found VCM hilarious. I was always sort-of hoping they might have her and David Mitchell in the same series, but I'm glad she's on it.

More women than men for the first time as well, in fact the same amount of female contestants in this series as there were in the first 3 combined.