Taskmaster

K

just finished taskmaster new zealand season 2, absolutely one of the best seasons of taskmaster from any country. Top notch. Probably up there with Season 7 of UK taskmaster for me. Loved it. If you haven't watched it yet and want to, head over to the reddit r/panelshow and get it. it's amazing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I assume it's a mistake, but the bleeped version of the show is genuinely annoying to watch. I never knew how much the swearing adds to the comedy (although I think it's more the ding sound that's causing my irritation).

Wait, it's not the ding, it's that the audience are laughing but I don't know what's been said.

I had wondered about that - thought maybe that there was so much swearing that they crossed some kind of swearing threshold. 

I really enjoyed it - Alan Davies as the doddering older one is going to be great, I love Victoria Coren-Mitchell being simultaneously bewildered and hyper-competitive, Morgana Robinson is brilliant, and I've been completely won over by Guz Khan pretty much instantly. No real stand-out tasks, or performances thereof, but the balloon one was fun (and replicable!).

• Like 1

Yeah this is a really good cast, should be a fun series! VCM is just always always always delightful.

I also finished the second series of NZ Taskmaster the other day and fuuuck those last two episodes were amazing. David Correos' performance in the diss track task is one of my favorite performances by any cast member in any task.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

Yeah this is a really good cast, should be a fun series! VCM is just always always always delightful.

I also finished the second series of NZ Taskmaster the other day and fuuuck those last two episodes were amazing. David Correos' performance in the diss track task is one of my favorite performances by any cast member in any task.

second season of taskmaster NZ is probably one of the best seasons of all time. i think i would put it just under UK season 5 for my money.

this new uk season is off to a cracking start. really enjoyed it, really like all the contestants from the jump. Thought VCM might be a bit much, but she was good. 

Also I watched it on the taskmaster youtube channel where they host it for select countries for the first time, and it was weird watching a version that had not only the adverts cut out, but even the interstitial throws to commercial missing. 

54 minutes ago, Jerandon Cutler said:

Good start. I knew straight away Alan was winning that balloon task  but it was still great overall.

If I'm picking an early winner, I don't know why, but it's Guz Khan.

the balloon task was great. i was talking to my wife and my first thought was it's gotta be the darts, but then while i was watching i realised that unless you can hit it within three, time-wise, you should have just taken the scissors, and even then it's a stretch. that's only thirty seconds of breathing room to purchase and throw. But i guess that's what the pressure of the moment does. great task. easy to look back on and realise where you messed up.

• Like 1

Finished season 2 of Taskmaster NZ in a couple of days - what a delight. I agree it's up there with one of the very best seasons of the show. It's also a big improvement on season 1, but I think a lot of that is down to the cast which seemed to gel a lot better. They are also doing some fun things outside the show.

I know there's a lot of focus on David, but I thought Guy and Laura were an absolute delight. Guy Montgomery's date was one of my favourite things. It's great when the assistant cracks up in tasks (e.g. Alex with Katherine Parkinson's catapult task), and this was another great example. 

Edited by Mongrel

My wife and I got into this so late and are just up to the last episode of the much-derided series 6.

It's not as bad as I worried it would be. The tasks certainly feel a little less creative at times, but Tim Vine was great and I while I love Liza Tarbuck anyway, I especially enjoyed how she swerved between being too annoyed to do a task and then going really off-piste and creative the next.

Russell Howard was my least favourite, half the time he seemed pretty bored and going through the motions.

We did watch a random series 8 episode on holiday a while back and Iain Stirling was truly terrible, so not looking forward to that series.

Iain Stirling is pretty good to watch as a contestant as he is clearly very competitive and quite antagonistic, so adds a different element to things. Doesn't mean you'll like him, but does mean there are some good individual moments involving him getting his comeuppance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

My wife and I got into this so late and are just up to the last episode of the much-derided series 6.

It's not as bad as I worried it would be. The tasks certainly feel a little less creative at times, but Tim Vine was great and I while I love Liza Tarbuck anyway, I especially enjoyed how she swerved between being too annoyed to do a task and then going really off-piste and creative the next.

Russell Howard was my least favourite, half the time he seemed pretty bored and going through the motions.

We did watch a random series 8 episode on holiday a while back and Iain Stirling was truly terrible, so not looking forward to that series.

it's definitely a weaker series, but it has some high points, and some absolute classic tasks (Episode 7, task 4 cracks me up just thinking about), but I think for me, it's funnier when almost everyone is trying to win, but series six you had Lisa and Alice both not really bothering very much, and Asim sort of being quite half arsed with it all. Tim had his moments, but was also quite bumbly, which just left Russel as the competitive one. I think you need at least a couple of them trying really well to win and to do the tasks 'properly'. I feel like it also lacked a chaotic one. 

I think season six and eight also suffer by following two of, probably, the best series. Five and seven were absolute delights.