UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

It definitely touched his arm, then onto his thigh and in. Some of the angles don't allow you to catch it but it definitely hits it. 

Doesn't matter either way as it was well tucked in. Also second the opinion of Dele Alli being an insufferable, dirty little cunt. Very happy for Son though, he's the best.

As much as I'm glad City got knocked out. Away goals is such a shite rule. 

Also Deli Ali is a gobshite. Good player but a massive bellend

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Kane is having the piss taken out of him on Twitter for yelling Tesco during his celebrations last night. 

I've seen the video in which someone's put Peppa Pig in the background 

43 minutes ago, Lineker said:

April 30: Spurs/Ajax
May 1: Barca/Liverpool
May 7: Liverpool/Barca
May 8: Ajax/Spurs

For whoever asked for it:

Why's no one posting our highlights <_<

Can't wait for the 7th. Gonna be a cracking time at Anfield

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Away goals is unfortunate for the team that loses out, but I'll take the last minute drama of a team chasing a goal than two sides playing with a must not lose mentality and forcing 30 tedious minutes of extra time.

Whilst I agree with your point, it does make for more excitement at times, I still think it’s a bullshit rule as nobody has won the tie but somebody still goes through. 

Stick it straight to penalties. 

I think it would be foolish to write them off. Two legs against Ajax, then a one-off final where anything can happen. Teams don't fluke their way to the semi-final of the Champions League, any one of those four sides could win the trophy.

• Like 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Spurs ain’t winning the Champions League, they are better off making sure they can do better than this result on the weekend and try and pick something up off of City this weekend

Stupid post. We are probably the least favourites but we have a small chance - as do all the teams remaining.

• Like 3

I think it's beautiful that we have a Dutch team in the semifinals. They are dripping with talent (that will of course be sold off if they haven't already) that will be top players at top European clubs for the next decade, but to have this core of young Ajax players making one run at the biggest club trophy there is is fantastic.

I also wanted to comment on away goals. I do think it makes for more exciting second legs. Overall I'm of mixed opinion on the two-leg elimination round though. It does typically guarantee the best team goes through, but I think of the halcyon days of the single-elimination European Cup when stuff like Steaua Bucharest winning happened. One-game playoffs just make for that much more drama as we often see in the World Cup or Euro. It also makes the trophy that much harder to win as you have that much less margin for error. Plus, frankly, with how much of a grind the entire season is for top clubs and their players at this point it would take some of the load off and likely make for more exciting domestic competition. Needless to say though, will never happen due to money. Two matches are worth more than one. However, to my point, having the away goals rule does make those 2nd legs intriguing late when otherwise they might not be as a team can much more comfortably sit back and not try to score.

Just now, damsher hatfield said:

I think it's beautiful that we have a Dutch team in the semifinals. They are dripping with talent (that will of course be sold off if they haven't already) that will be top players at top European clubs for the next decade, but to have this core of young Ajax players making one run at the biggest club trophy there is is fantastic.

I also wanted to comment on away goals. I do think it makes for more exciting second legs. Overall I'm of mixed opinion on the two-leg elimination round though. It does typically guarantee the best team goes through, but I think of the halcyon days of the single-elimination European Cup when stuff like Steaua Bucharest winning happened. One-game playoffs just make for that much more drama as we often see in the World Cup or Euro. It also makes the trophy that much harder to win as you have that much less margin for error. Plus, frankly, with how much of a grind the entire season is for top clubs and their players at this point it would take some of the load off and likely make for more exciting domestic competition. Needless to say though, will never happen due to money. Two matches are worth more than one. However, to my point, having the away goals rule does make those 2nd legs intriguing late when otherwise they might not be as a team can much more comfortably sit back and not try to score. 

If it were up to me it would be more like the FA Cup in the knockout stages. Do a draw, play one game home or away and if it is a draw, play the away leg followed by pens. Rinse and repeat.

Oh, and the final stadium should be chosen closer to the final. Imagine if it is a Spuds vs Pool final... would be much better held at Wembley.

10 minutes ago, MDK said:

Oh, and the final stadium should be chosen closer to the final. Imagine if it is a Spuds vs Pool final... would be much better held at Wembley.

Then hold an Arsenal vs. Chelsea Europa League Final at Spurs' new stadium? :lol: 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Mixed feelings on this. 

On one hand it would save fans money as they do get shafted with flights and hotels etc. 

But on the other, you've got the stories of travelling to different countries and cities and the tales from there. I remember my dad telling me about the two trips to Rome and Paris. And my mate went to Kiev and had a mental trip there, despite the result he was made up he went. 

Can you imagine that if what you suggested was the case? WE HAD A MENTAL COACH TRIP IN WHICH WE STOPPED AT THE SERVICE STATIONS IN NORTHAMPTON. WILD SCENES 

or what actually does seem to happen around FA Cup semi finals and finals when travelling down to Wembley. VIRGIN TRAINS HAVE DECIDED TO HAVE THEIR ANNUAL STRIKE OR THERES BEEN AN ACCIDENT AROUND MILTON KEYNES SO THE TRAINS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. 

• Admin

The European Club Association has set out potentially explosive plans to revamp the Champions League to include more matches and some form of promotion and relegation when the agreed format and football calendar concludes in 2024.

The ECA and Juventus chairman, Andrea Agnelli, spelled out the principles informing the top clubs’ push to reshape European football in a letter inviting all the ECA’s 232 clubs to discuss them at a special general assembly in Malta on 6 and 7 June.

Describing the proposals as “fundamental to the future of European football”, Agnelli set out a list including more European football to be played by clubs, a “pyramidal” structure across Europe, and more “mobility and dynamism across the system through carefully applied promotion and relegation”.

The proposals state participation will be based on “sporting meritocracy” not “historical privilege” – a response to reports that top clubs such as Juventus are looking for permanent membership of a Champions League elite competition.

ECA Representatives of the ECA declined to provide further detail, and said full proposals have not yet been worked out. Agnelli first set out his ideas for expanding the Champions League in an interview with the Guardian last year, suggesting top clubs could play more high-profile and lucrative European matches simply by switching the competition’s group stage from eight groups of four clubs to four groups of eight. He acknowledged that he foresaw an impact on national leagues, arguing they should reduce in size and the top clubs might field junior sides.

These early moves to develop such changes to European football’s sporting and financial landscape, which began on 19 March with an ECA and Uefa “brainstorming” meeting, have become politically fraught. Representatives of national leagues criticised reported ideas from that meeting – including playing Champions League matches at weekends, which Agnelli denied was a proposal – as a threat to the long-established structures.

In his letter to member clubs, Agnelli denounced that criticism as based on “incorrect speculation and rumour” and even urged ECA clubs not to attend a meeting of the collective body, the European Leagues, in Madrid on 6 and 7 May to which all ECA clubs have been invited.

In a scathing response, Lars-Christer Olsson, the European Leagues president, described Agnelli’s as “a strange letter” containing “false accusations” and said he expected clubs to be “grown up enough” to make their own judgment about whether to attend the meeting. He said he could see the leagues would have “different opinions” from the ECA proposals about the future, and that they plan to develop their own ideas for the post‑2024 formats with national leagues and football associations.

“Do not forget that it is the football associations that ‘own’ Uefa who take the final decision,” he said.

The Premier League issued a strong statement on behalf of its 20 clubs this month, emphasising opposition to any plans “that would alter the structures, calendar and competitiveness of the domestic game”. England’s top league also stressed that “the structures of domestic football are determined by leagues and their respective national associations”.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

There's utterly nothing wrong with the format as it is, it has worked for years, so what's the need to fuck about it with it?

The euros had a perfect 4 group-16 team format and it was changed for a format that had sucked when used previously in world cups. Fuckin' up things that work perfectly well is what people in charge of this sport do best. I'm not surprised they want to change it.

• Like 1