UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

• Admin

Jan Vertonghen has sparked fears that he may miss the Champions League final against Liverpool after suffering a foot injury at the end of Tottenham’s dramatic semi-final, second-leg victory over Ajax.

It is unclear how the defender sustained the problem. He was involved in the celebratory pile-on that followed Lucas Moura’s 96th-minute winner and the wild post-match celebrations. He would later be filmed by Belgian TV getting on to the Spurs team bus with the aid of crutches and with his right foot in a protective boot.

Vertonghen had played in a face mask to protect the damage to his nose that he suffered in the first leg in London and which had forced him off towards the end of the first half of that match. He and the club will anxiously await the results of medical investigations into his latest problem.

The final in on 1 June in Madrid. Vertonghen is certain to miss Spurs’ final game of the Premier League season at home to Everton on Sunday. The club have all but wrapped up a top-four place and qualification to next season’s Champions League.

I will add though that while I was charmed by Ajax, I was antagonized by Onana and his antics and his time wasting since literally the second Ajax scored in the first leg all the way till Lucas’s goal so I’m glad he lost and was sad at the end :shifty: 

• Admin

Manchester City say they have provided “comprehensive proof” of their innocence to the Uefa body investigating allegations of financial fair play irregularities, and the club is expected to contest a referral to Uefa’s disciplinary process.

A strong view that City should be referred for a full hearing of the issues, with a possible Champions League ban if the allegations are proven, is thought to have been expressed by members of Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) “investigatory chamber (IC).” The chairman and chief investigatory, Yves Leterme, the former prime minister of Belgium, is currently considering whether he agrees with that view, that City do have a case to answer.

If he does, it is understood that Leterme will refer City to Uefa’s “adjudicatory chamber” for a full consideration of the facts and a potentially strong sanction, because the investigatory chambers disciplinary powers are limited to a warning, reprimand or fine up to a maximum €100,000.

City are principally facing the allegation based on emails published by the German magazine Spiegel that the club falsely overstated the amounts coming to the club from sponsors based in Abu Dhabi, when in fact the money was coming from the owner Sheikh Mansour, of the emirate’s ruling family. In a strongly worded statement, the club denounced alleged leaks of the process to the New York Times, and said:

“Manchester City FC is fully cooperating in good faith with the CFCB IC’s ongoing investigation. In doing so the club is reliant on both the CFCB IC’s independence and commitment to due process; and on Uefa’s commitment of the 7th of March that it … will make no further comment on the matter while the investigation is ongoing.

“The New York Times report citing ‘people familiar with the case’ is therefore extremely concerning. The implications are that either Manchester City’s good faith in the CFCB IC is misplaced or the CFCB IC process is being misrepresented by individuals intent on damaging the Club’s reputation and its commercial interests. Or both.

“Manchester City’s published accounts are full and complete and a matter of legal and regulatory record. The accusation of financial irregularities are entirely false, and comprehensive proof of this fact has been provided to the CFCB IC.”

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

Match tickets sorted!!!

Congrats!

Curious, what was the criteria for tickets for Tottenham? 

Liverpool had it so fans with 7 games this season (so basically had to have been an away game and all the home ones) are guaranteed a ticket and then if you've been 6 games you're in a ballot. Last season I ended up like 8000 on a waiting list. 

Gotta wait until Friday to find out if I'm eligible for a ticket