FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

Lineker

The Netherlands/Glorious Nippon match yesterday was probably the best one in terms of quality, I really enjoyed it. Really tasty goal from Japan as well and yeah, that was a soft penalty.

• Like 1

Said when it was announced that it was time to train players nor to try and find a team mate with crosses or whatever but try to hit an opposing players arm and with VAR also coming in to ensure that any collisions are picked up this is to be expected. There will be a lot of harsh decisions decided on this basis but by the letter of the law they'll be correct.*

*this is a general observation throughout the tournament, I've not actually seen the Japan one yet and going on what I was told.

6 minutes ago, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

That was the most bullshit handball. She was actively moving her arm away when the kick came. There was literally nothing that could be done about it.

As was said, it's unfortunately the letter of the law as of this tournament, it's a bullshit rule, but ti's a rule, hopefully they'll use this tournament to realize it's bullshit, but they probably won't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EddieG said:

As was said, it's unfortunately the letter of the law as of this tournament, it's a bullshit rule, but ti's a rule, hopefully they'll use this tournament to realize it's bullshit, but they probably won't.

Is it though? I've looked at the rule changes and I see nothing that changes the 'unnatural' position thing other than the line that says if your arm is above shoulder height it's handball (Sissoko). The major handball rule change seems to be in relation to attacking players.

This feels like one of these pundit led things where they actually haven't looked at the Laws of the Game.

Also, they've got rid of contested drop balls which is a fucking travesty.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, MDK said:

Ex Orient player Dave Morrison was ahead of the game

morrison.jpg

He played in Ireland with Bohs for years and wasn't a bad player at that level. Saw him plenty. He took throw-ins too, which should have been a foul throw automatically by rule!

3 minutes ago, TCO said:

He played in Ireland with Bohs for years and wasn't a bad player at that level. Saw him plenty. He took throw-ins too, which should have been a foul throw automatically by rule!

I remember him being pretty good for us. One time the ref gave him a telling off for shirt pulling which I thought was a bit harsh.

5 hours ago, Colly said:

Is it though? I've looked at the rule changes and I see nothing that changes the 'unnatural' position thing other than the line that says if your arm is above shoulder height it's handball (Sissoko). The major handball rule change seems to be in relation to attacking players.

This feels like one of these pundit led things where they actually haven't looked at the Laws of the Game.

There were two changes, one of them is that if it hits an attacking player a goal can't be scored if they get an advantage from the handball, the other is one that is designed to stop players running around with their hands behind their back in case it hits their arms. I think this is to do with the "natural silhouette" interpretation. While going over the rules I saw an article where one of the International FA Board people said this

"We've changed it to say the body has a certain silhouette," said Elleray. "If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

"Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette."

It's the second part that may be what's causing the slight misinterpretation and confusion in a sense. What is the rule book definition of a natural silhouette, exactly? From the description there it seems to be the little man standing straight, next to the bus and Nelsons Column to show how big a dinosaur was in a kids book. Even if it makes contact accidentally, i.e. someone kicks it at your hand while running if your hand is not fitting that natural silhouette regardless of intent it is a penalty/free kick. So far, we've seen decisions covering a fair few seemingly natural movements and still getting called up, even after VAR confirmation which implies that two of the match day officials at least agree that it's unnatural. 

I fully understand the attacking advantage rule change, it seems that referees interpretation of the other change is the complication over this. 

We were great last night. Just can't get over how good Lucy Bronze is. Surely Nikita's off penalty duties now? Very excited to see how he match up against the US or France. 

On 26/06/2019 at 09:32, MDK said:

The Netherlands/Glorious Nippon match yesterday was probably the best one in terms of quality, I really enjoyed it. Really tasty goal from Japan as well and yeah, that was a soft penalty.

That was the match of the tournament for me and was absolutely gutted for Japan, who played the Dutch off the park in the second half. They were so technical and totally deserved a win, really felt for the player who hit the bar. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

That was the match of the tournament for me and was absolutely gutted for Japan, who played the Dutch off the park in the second half. They were so technical and totally deserved a win, really felt for the player who hit the bar. 

Its unfortunate but these things happen in football. Sad for Japan, but go Netherlands because Vivianne Miedema is as cute as a button.