MMA News and Discussion Thread

I wish this crowd would chant WEC, WEC, WEC, if only because it would quickly sound like ECW, ECW, ECW.

Haha.

But yeah, great show. Aldo and Henderson will have to seek new challenges. I can't see Gamburyan challenging Aldo whatsoever, and Benson has virtually cleaned out SF's Lightweight division.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's weird to say this after such an entertaining show, but I don't think it was a success.

Why? Because what do they do next? Even if they're willing to wait half a year until they can have another "best possible" drawing power card ready to go (which makes the most sense), it's not going to have the interest of this show. Faber/Aldo was the one fight that could supercede anything else WEC could offer in terms of draw value, but the wrong half of that equation won and nobody's going to be clamouring for a rematch.

They didn't build any other interesting fights, I have no interest in seeing Aldo vs. Gamburyan coming off of that, nobody on that show could really challenge Henderson, they didn't even interview Miguel Torres to get him over.

This show was budgeted so that 75,000 buys would be a success...with Faber coming off a decisive loss, there's no way they can even match that number next time.

Edit: Apparently the reason the card was 'Aldo vs. Faber' and not 'WEC' was because the prelims were on Spike and Versus has exclusivity to the WEC name on TV.

A good night of fights, Aldo looked brutal, i love Faber, but the guy was totally outclassed.

I agree with the question of where to go from here, but interviewing Torres to get him over would be stupid MPH (thats sounds harsh.. But it would have been a waste of time, despite Torres being a name), the guy isn't near the title following his loss at the last event, but it would have been nice to see some sort of coverage of the Bantamweight title and whats next in each division. You also have to question where is next with Faber? There are no obvious fights in the future for him, or for Aldo that are exciting (sorry Manvel :/ ) and the lightweight division has Roller vs Bendo as an option, but its not a fight that will sell PPVs, however we shall see in 6 months when they will be looking at the next PPV... Maybe if Varner does well Hendo vs Varner II (Varner's heel status could be a seller) but the fights aren't real obvious right now

I may have forgot Torres lost to Bowles. :shifty:

How could you froget the bloody mess that Torres was following his loss to Benevidez as well?

Personally I can't wait for a rematch between Cruz/Benavidez, but obviously this would be over 5 rounds :)

Tito Ortiz has been arrested for beating up Jenna Jameson and she's said she will press charges.

Now, I hate Tito already, but if he really did hit her, I almost hope he gets his neck snapped if he ever fights again.

Tito Ortiz has been arrested for beating up Jenna Jameson and she's said she will press charges.

Now, I hate Tito already, but if he really did hit her, I almost hope he gets his neck snapped if he ever fights again.

I already laughed at it in the UFC thread, Dana has apparently already said that if its true the UFC should cut Tito.

I already laughed at it in the UFC thread, Dana has apparently already said that if its true the UFC should cut Tito.

That would be a literal cutting, right? It's Jenna Jameson, God damn it!

Honest to god, I have to say there is no organisation that puts as consistent high quality cards on as WEC, I have been watching the cards through since the first event without the welterweights... and my god are they some good fights and cards out there, Benevidez vs Cruz from WEC 42 was amazing.

I am going to start a Bellator discussion following this weeks card <_<

I figured once we hit the semi's I can comment on who I think will win to go on to face the champions from season 1... as long as the 155 winner is Huerta I am happy, I would love to see Alvarez vs Huerta

I must admit, going back and watching the WEC cards a second time is awesome, I love me some Miguel Torres :wub:

Trust me try the WEC, the smaller weight classes put on such a good show, its owned by Zuffa so the production values are as good as UFC... And they only put on a show every 6/8 weeks so its not hard to keep up with, and if you're American its on Versus :)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Josh Barnett is putting his MMA career on the back burner and wrestling for Antonio Inoki's IGF. I guess that answers the questions about drug use.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

In other news (more to come perhaps as I read through the Observer, will edit it into this post if that's the case), Garcia vs. Zombie doubled its audience from beginning to end.