The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

After playing Smash Bros for a week or so, I've definitely moved some new guys into my regular rotation of characters. I've always been a huge Jigglypuff and Pikachu fan, but I've really enjoyed playing as Shulk, Mega Man and Greninja. Mega Man and Pikachu are the two guys I constantly play as. Mega Man B attacks are okay, but his powered A attack are great.

REVISED SOUSA SMASH BROS. POWER RANKINGS:

1. Peach

2. Captain Falcon

3. Duck Hunt

4. Little Mac on the right level

5. Shulk now that I've figured out Monado Arts

6. Bowser Jr.

7. Wii Fit Trainer

8. Yoshi

9. Robin

10. Lucina

FUCK THESE GUYS:

1. Pac-Man

2. Kirby

3. Ganondorf

4. I don't know everybody else is fine I guess

Peach is slowly creeping up my rankings. I fucking love her. And her Final Smash is probably one of the most effective ones in the game.

I played online the other day. Every match I wasn't Pikachu, I lose. Every match I was Pikachu, I win. My husband gets mad when I play as Pikachu, because I just end up slaughtering him.

Sousa favourite Fire Emblem: Awakening is £18.99 on Amazon in the UK right now. Might be worth looking at if you've been curious about it previously but were put off by the way that holds it's value in the traditional Nintendo system way and then some. Seriously, CEX are still charging £40 for it.

• Like 1

I only played it for all of about ten minutes, but I didn't enjoy Pac-Man at all; I played as him first, because I'm a Pac-Man nerd, but he was very slow, didn't jump too high, and seemed a bit fiddly. Didn't help that I was still getting used to the game, I guess.

I aced it as Wii Fit Trainer, though, she was superb.

I'm disappointed by the lack of a story mode in the style of the last game, as far as I can tell...could barely make head nor tail of the board game thing, and the other "story" type mode seemed incredibly lazy. Considering more often than not there'll only be two of us playing, that's quite disappointing to me, as it takes a lot of depth out of the game.

Pac-Man kicks ass, as does Bowser Jr., because I play with guys who know I'm terrible at getting juggled and getting out of it - so to have those down B moves to clear the ground below me is a blessing. At the same time, once you get used to the fact that you can curve his left/right B and do some insane stuff with that it's pretty awesome to do a 'C' shaped attack and smash someone out that way.

Also we were playing and one of them was spamming Jigglypuff's heal, and my fire hydrant pushed her off the edge without waking her up like three times.

The best things about Bowser Jr. are the cannonball and the fact that his forward Smash lasts about half a second longer than everyone seems to expect, so everyone I fight seems to be like "NOW I WILL ATTA--OH SHIT A DRILL."

Only thing more fun is littering the battlefield with shooters from Wild Gunman and exploding cans (did i mention i fucking love Duck Hunt because i do).

And yeah you guys should totally have Fire Emblem Awakening, it is the best.

Yeah, I'm awful as King Dedede, but have played as him a few times due to my love of the Kirby cartoon, and he's perfect for the sort of situation Sousa described - the only person better for that is Donkey Kong, but he's kind of dull because he's just unchanged forever.

Really? Just... really? I guess I won't doubt you but man, I have a hard time believing that a full game version of an alright mini-game can be that mind blowing.

The Captain Toad levels were awesome. The full game has inventive, addicting gameplay and it's charming as all fuck. All the secret stuff is rad, too. You also get bonus levels if you have a 3D World save. The first few bonus levels are weird, but they get to be pretty rad.

So yes, really. It's awesome.

I'm super psyched for Captain Toad to come out over here, but I have my doubts about the length. Sounds like you can beat it in a few hours if that... and Nintendo doesn't tend to release games any cheaper over here than £40.