The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Because I latch onto things way behind everyone else (*cough* Rocket League *cough*), I've been playing and enjoying Fortnite. In terms of games to buy next, I'm tempted by Sonic Mania and Mario Tennis Aces. The latter mostly because of this:

4p01Bir.png

He's got a tennis racket in his mouth good metallic doggo 😍😍😍

• Like 2

I got Mario Tennis Aces today. It's alright, fairly standard Mario sports really, but I'm hoping it's a bit more exciting when I play more challenging matches and use the motion controls instead of a standard controller.

I've heard meh things about the story mode (still really wishing they'd allow them to do a full out RPG like the handheld games used to be) and baffling things missing like stage select and the length of a match - but I can imagine it's still great for playing with other people, etc.

It's just basically a line of whacky tennis matches with weird courts and mechanics. You do level up stats, but the mode from the GBC days where you'd join a Tennis Academy and work your way through the levels while taking classes to level your stuff up, had free roam around campus, etc - was so refreshing and I don't think any amount of new, whacky mechanics to the actual game is going to change that.

At least Mario Golf got something in the way of Golf Story but I always preferred the Tennis games more.

If you're a fan of JRPGs, you gotta give Octopath Traveler a shot. At least the free prologue demo! You get to choose one of the eight characters as your 'main' character, and then you meet the others on your quest. I'm an hour in (I am not sure how much more of the game I can see) and already in love with it.

I first picked the barbarian/hunter lady, because that's who my wife said. But I didn't like the way she was speaking. So I switched to Tressa, the merchant girl. She's spunky, and has a cool ability! And speaking of...each character has their own special 'path abilities', which let you do neat things outside of combat. Tressa, you can buy things from people who normally don't sell things (usually at a better price...and not things for sale! I got some spiffy armor right off the bat). With Primrose the dancer you can make people follow you and fight for you...the knight, you can honor duel people, the barbarian you can un-honor duel people, with the cleric (one of the people I was considering) you can make people follow you, the thief lets you open locked chests (another I was considering...but decided to step outside my comfort zone), and not sure with the scholar or the apothecary can do. 

This is going to  be one of my favorite games of the year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ruki said:

If you're a fan of JRPGs, you gotta give Octopath Traveler a shot. At least the free prologue demo! You get to choose one of the eight characters as your 'main' character, and then you meet the others on your quest. I'm an hour in (I am not sure how much more of the game I can see) and already in love with it.

I first picked the barbarian/hunter lady, because that's who my wife said. But I didn't like the way she was speaking. So I switched to Tressa, the merchant girl. She's spunky, and has a cool ability! And speaking of...each character has their own special 'path abilities', which let you do neat things outside of combat. Tressa, you can buy things from people who normally don't sell things (usually at a better price...and not things for sale! I got some spiffy armor right off the bat). With Primrose the dancer you can make people follow you and fight for you...the knight, you can honor duel people, the barbarian you can un-honor duel people, with the cleric (one of the people I was considering) you can make people follow you, the thief lets you open locked chests (another I was considering...but decided to step outside my comfort zone), and not sure with the scholar or the apothecary can do. 

This is going to  be one of my favorite games of the year. 

I was worried I would only be able to use one path ability. But! Picked up the scholar, and you can use both. His ability allows him to get information out of people, resulting is discounts or the location of secret items

Fallout Shelter and West of Loathing have been taking my time up on the Switch

Would highly recommend West of Loathing as a fun, silly RPG game. 

3 hours ago, DMarriocco said:

Fallout Shelter and West of Loathing have been taking my time up on the Switch

Would highly recommend West of Loathing as a fun, silly RPG game. 

I remember the Kingdom of Loathing browser game. I spent a lot of time with that.

Fallout Shelter is the sort of game I should hate, just time-based "click this and wait" mobile nonsense, but I've been sinking a fair bit of time into it too. I was doing okay until everybody died.

Lumines Remastered has been just what I hoped it would be:  a relaxing way to make some squares and focus on something else for a while.

If anyone is wanting something close to Rogue Legacy on the Switch, go nab Devious Dungeon.  Not as deep as Legacy, but manages to feel very similar in the "eh, run these levels, upgrade my gear, whack a boss" rogue style games.

Once finances allow, I think I'll nab Hollow Knight.  Hearing a lot of great things about it and $15 doesn't sound like a bad price for a game supposedly that deep.

2 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

Lumines Remastered has been just what I hoped it would be:  a relaxing way to make some squares and focus on something else for a while.

Speaking of making shapes, I'm amazed at how generous the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo is. You get the standard and Swap modes, as well as local multiplayer, and nothing I'm bothered about is restricted to the full game. It's remarkable how, in a day and age where very few publisher-funded games even have demos at all, there's one that bypasses any temptation to buy the full game.

• Like 1