General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 04/11/2015, 11:56:48, Benji The Friendly Ghost said:

Opening episode of season one or two?

Two. I watched the first season when it aired last year and decided to give this a shot too. I've now seen episode two as well and I'm still just as into it. 

I've been watching X-Files since Halloween night and I've noticed that David Duchovny constantly looks like he's lost and trying to figure out where he is. "Did I turn left back there or..."

I think I'm really going to dig John Noble on Elementary this season. Perfectly fine season premiere, by the way. I'd call it a solid B+.

On 11/6/2015, 11:16:09, Cloudy said:

I think I'm really going to dig John Noble on Elementary this season. Perfectly fine season premiere, by the way. I'd call it a solid B+.

Elementary's season premiere was the Daniel Bryan of season premieres? Does that mean it'll go on an indefinite hiatus as soon as it starts gaining momentum?

Catastrophe is easily the best comedy Britain's produced in years. It has an incredible fusion of English and American humour, and I think everyone on here would like it. It's very funny, but also very dramatic and charming, and one episode in particular, challenged and addressed a very delicate situation in a really interesting and emotionally engaging way. 

Three eps into Master of None and suitably impressed. I've always liked Aziz Ansari, but, perhaps unfairly, I had questioned his ability to lead a show. I've found the first three episodes to be funny and charming, and showing a lot of promise for the rest of the run. There's some really interesting influences: it sounds like it should play out closer to something Noah Baumbach should make, but I've seen a little of Woody Allen's influence, especially in the way it's shot. The first few episodes of comedies are usually quite weak for me, but the fact I've enjoyed what I've seen so far suggests a fair bit of potential. 

• Like 3

I'm loving Master of None. It sort of reminds me of Louis in the way that it'll sort of tackle one topic, although the topics are coming from quite a different perspective. I like Aziz Ansari a lot more in this than I ever have in Parks and Rec.

Masters of None is interesting. I didn't find it really that funny, the first two episodes at least. I thought the second episode did such a great job of presenting viewpoints to TV. Not just in diversity, but in narrative. The extended opening was one of the most interesting things I've seen on TV in years. They framed these seemingly meaningless interactions between son and father and explained the emotional significance of the fathers interaction with their kids. It was pretty deep to think about how even the tiniest interaction with a loved one can be framed in an emotional battleground. 

• Like 2

Forth episodes of Masters of None about Indian stereotypes on TV is great. Seriously enjoying the way that the show is shot, not only is that well told, it has a really different approach to most comedies in its visual language. Seems like another success for Netflix. 

Caught up on Fargo. Spoiler, I still love Fargo.

I think the biggest thing left that I want an answer to is what Dodd's done that makes Hanzee so loyal to him specifically? Because Dodd is the dirt worst, so there has to be some specific backstory there that I'm missing.

• Like 1

Oh man, that second episode of Master of None resonated with me so goddamn much. I've had that dinner with my parents and with my friends' parents, nearly word-for-word (I mean, no slaughtering of pet animals, but the arranged marriage bit, or about working in a factory, holy shit). That might be my favorite episode of any show this year. It was done so well, and really interesting the way they brought up first generation Asian Americans and compared them to their parents. I don't think I've even seen it done so well on TV before.

Also, was it just me or did it feel like a totally different TV show from the first episode? The only thing both episodes had in common was that the main character was Dev.

20 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Oh man, that second episode of Master of None resonated with me so goddamn much. I've had that dinner with my parents and with my friends' parents, nearly word-for-word (I mean, no slaughtering of pet animals, but the arranged marriage bit, or about working in a factory, holy shit). That might be my favorite episode of any show this year. It was done so well, and really interesting the way they brought up first generation Asian Americans and compared them to their parents. I don't think I've even seen it done so well on TV before.

Also, was it just me or did it feel like a totally different TV show from the first episode? The only thing both episodes had in common was that the main character was Dev.

I've just watched episode six (which is stunning), and it seems like the show is confident enough to do self-contained episodes and have them take slightly different forms each episode. Like, in Episode 5, we get some quite whacky comedy that doesn't quite feel like it belongs in the show, but it just seems more than happy enough to continue to take different forms which is great. I also just love its confidence in letting things play out in long takes or one-shot, makes viewing something like this so much more engaging. 

On 05/11/2015, 07:41:34, Lineker said:

It looks like a good concept, but only because the beeb has always been so annoying at picking and choosing what goes out as a DVD or shows repeats of. Presumably if this had happened a few years ago Lee & Herring wouldn't have had to buy the rights to Fist of Fun and release it themselves.

There's also that bit of annoyance that I'd have to pay £8 for a series of the Saturday Night Armistice while 4oD lets me watch all of Drop the Dead Donkey for free. I'd love to binge watch Fantasy Football but I'm not paying £30 to do so. First world problems...

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly