The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

• 1 month later...

IMBD have this on their front page

Here's a report you can accept as fun or tantalizing or ridiculous: Latino Review, an establishment thathas landed some scoops in its day, says Disney wants Ryan Gosling and Zac Efron in Star Wars: Episode VII. "As for what role Efron would be playing, we don’t know. He could be a Solo kid," Latino Review writes. "But what I was told for sure is the Gosling went in for Skywalker’s son. Yes, that’s right Luke’s kid." Disney is expected to make some official Episode VII announcements at its D23 expo starting Aug. 9.

Latino Review tends to go both ways, their news can be completely out there and not close to true, or entirely on the spot. I'm interested in Gosling in Star Wars and I've not exactly got anything against Zac Efron. I'm sure with a good script and director he could probably do a good enough job. I imagine he'll get a lot of hate for being the High School Musical guy, but eh, I'm willing to give him a shot. I'm entirely sure the internet will be outraged over this, regardless.

Luke had a kid in the EU. He was developmentally disabled and died trying to pry toast out with a knife and making himself part of the circuit.

• Like 1

Zac Efron could fit, I don't see Gosling working at all, nor do I like the idea of Luke having kids.

What's the issue with Luke having kids? Presumably he's going to be at least 40, so why wouldn't he?

Zac Efron could fit, I don't see Gosling working at all, nor do I like the idea of Luke having kids.

What's the issue with Luke having kids? Presumably he's going to be at least 40, so why wouldn't he?

There's the whole, Jedi don't have kids thing. Granted, with the state of the Jedi in the last three films, it's not like he'd really have any way of learning that. I don't mind it, I always hoped he'd bring about a different kind of Jedi order.

Honestly, that was a really stupid addition to the mythos. "Oh, Jedi aren't supposed to love! We're supposed to give ourselves over to Christ Yoda and live for the benefit of others. Selfishness is the way of the dark side."

Okay, no. Making love to someone isn't inherently selfish. Making her wear that leather BDSM outfit and making her call you a Star Destroyer when you're shafting her, that was selfish, but inherent emotion for another human being IS A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF BEING HUMAN. This is the problem when we let George Lucas keep writing these movies. The guy is a goddamn robot, he understands human emotions about as well as he understands microcellular biology, AKA NOT AT ALL SO SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP TRYING TO TALK ABOUT THEM.

• Like 1

Not to mention that the whole "bringing balance to the Force" thing that Luke did kind of contradicts "Jedis aren't supposed to love" anyway. Jedis aren't supposed to get angry, but it was getting angry - yet not allowing that anger to consume him - that allowed Luke to be victorious.

Alternatively; George Lucas makes it up as he goes along, and every single bit of expanded universe bullshit is silly and awful, and the worst kind of unimaginative hack fanfiction ever.

"We've killed off the Emperor, so who's the new bad guy gonna be?"
"Er...clone of the Emperor?"

"Brilliant, you're hired."