The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Episode VIII: The Execution Of Jar Jar.

First R rated Star Wars movie. First 3 hour Star Wars movie.

Again, what I said about Darth Maul - he's a nothing character. Ooooh, he looks cool and has a two-sided lightsaber. Who is he? Why is the fight with him a big deal?

Wasn't the point of him that he was supposed to be mysterious? Two Jedi get randomly attacked (when they were supposed to be off the grid) by a guy trained expertly in the Jedi Arts which sets up the plot point for the entire prequels that the Sith, long thought extinct have returned and now the Jedi have to contend with whether the guy was the master or apprentice.

Yes, he was supposed to be mysterious. Fine. But you can do "mysterious" without being a blank slate. From a narrative standpoint, your grand climatic battle scene should be between characters with some kind of personal or moral issue, some reason for the viewers to be emotionally invested in the fight scene because they care about the outcome, not because they like the nice flips and fancy footwork. Not just "care about this fight scene because the music tells you to".

No way he'd do it, which is why I asked. He even tried to get Lucas to kill Han Solo off and apparently didn't really like playing the character. What's going to change his mind now?

Didn't he say for years that he didn't want to pay Indiana Jones again and eventually reprised that role in a that really crappy movie?

Actually, quite the opposite - Ford pretty much always said he'd be open to playing Indy again, but never wanted to play Han Solo again, and he never liked the part in the first place because he felt the script was terrible ("you can write this shit, George, but you can't speak it").

I've never heard any story of him wanting Han killed off in Return Of The Jedi, but the whole point he was frozen in Carbonite at the end of Empire was as a way to write him out if Ford didn't return for the next movie, but not kill him off, so he could be brought back if necessary. Lando was introduced as the potential replacement of Han - hence the plot point of him being the previous owner of the Falcon.

So that's why the first thing Lando does when he gets the Falcon back is raid Han's closet.

Again, what I said about Darth Maul - he's a nothing character. Ooooh, he looks cool and has a two-sided lightsaber. Who is he? Why is the fight with him a big deal?

Wasn't the point of him that he was supposed to be mysterious? Two Jedi get randomly attacked (when they were supposed to be off the grid) by a guy trained expertly in the Jedi Arts which sets up the plot point for the entire prequels that the Sith, long thought extinct have returned and now the Jedi have to contend with whether the guy was the master or apprentice.

Yes, he was supposed to be mysterious. Fine. But you can do "mysterious" without being a blank slate. From a narrative standpoint, your grand climatic battle scene should be between characters with some kind of personal or moral issue, some reason for the viewers to be emotionally invested in the fight scene because they care about the outcome, not because they like the nice flips and fancy footwork. Not just "care about this fight scene because the music tells you to".

But at that point, we knew enough about Darth Maul. He was the apprentice to a Sith Lord that infiltrated the Imperial Senate, who was scheming to produce a war and take over the Republic. And Maul's specific role was to kill these two Jedi that were in the way of all that happening.

I've never heard any story of him wanting Han killed off in Return Of The Jedi, but the whole point he was frozen in Carbonite at the end of Empire was as a way to write him out if Ford didn't return for the next movie, but not kill him off, so he could be brought back if necessary. Lando was introduced as the potential replacement of Han - hence the plot point of him being the previous owner of the Falcon.

Ford tells that story in amongst other places "The Empire of Dreams" documentary that is on the special features disc of the first DVD release of the original trilogy. Ford was only signed on for the first 2 movies while Mark Hammil and Carrie Fischer were signed for all three. By the time "Jedi" was in production, Ford had become equally famous as Indiana Jones and thought it would be the perfect way for his character to come full circle would be to sacrifice himself for the rebellion, but Lucas convinced him that the saga needed a giant happy ending.

I think I'd be fine having someone else play Han for Star Wars VII: Ewoktric Boogaloo, especially if you're churning these out every 2 or 3 years and are trying to lock someone down like in a Marvel contract, which I can see Disney wanting to do.

Yeah the idea of Han dying in Return was Ford's idea, and actually might have been interesting. Ford thought it would raise the stakes.