The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I have no interest in the expanded stuff right now unless it's years before (Knight of the Old Republic, as an example). Yoda, Han, Chewbacca or Boba Fett prequel stuff does not sound interesting to me.

I'm really excited for Episode 7, especially if they bring back Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, The Falcon, Lando, R2-D2 and C3-PO. I'd think they have to. Han probably would need to be written out in Episode 7, but I'd love to see him have a big role in the film. Chewie can stick around (because, not to discount Peter Mayhew, anyone can play him), as can The Falcon (though for Han to go down in the ship, it would be fitting). Lando is another character that can be written off (depending on Billy Dee Williams willingness to spend act 6-8 years from now). R2-D2 is another one (not to discount Kenny Baker) that can stick around as long as they feel his character is important. C3-PO is a tough one because Anthony Daniels is in his late 60's. He certainly can just do dialogue and let somebody else don the suit, but it's really up in the air as to whether he could do the whole trilogy. Leia could have a side role in the trilogy but Mark Hammil's involvement could range from small to large depending on what they want to do.

Obviously there will be plenty of new characters but I think there is plenty of opportunity to bring back all the main stars of the original trilogy in some fashion. It would do a good job of bridging the movies together.

Edited by Universal

I would absolutely hate a Boba Fett movie. I hate the idea of resurrecting him, and the prequels already killed the mystique he had.

Boba Fett was cool precisely because we knew very little about him. As soon as you the mysterious masked bounty hunter not only unmasked, but as a child, that intrigue is gone.

It's hard for me to imagine what exactly I would want to see. I would not mind something covering the gap between III and IV, however I don't want to see movies taking place after VI that would be based on materials from the expanded universe; I feel the two should exist separately. Not to mention that given the ages of Hamil, Ford and Fischer, a lot of stuff might be difficult to pull off :shifty:

I also wouldn't mind something covering the early careers of Qui-Gon or Mace Windu. In ANH, we're given a brief bit of history on Obi-Wan, but nothing like that for Qui-Gon or Windu. Windu's supposed to be this badass swordsmen, yet what we saw in III wasn't quite...badass, given the other fights that were witnessed. I want to see his insane Vaapad fighting style. The biggest problem with all of this is the lack of a credible threat, going by the information that we have.

Seeing Boba Fett as a kid - was pretty lame, I agree. I didn't like that at all.

But I'm fine with anything Fett related just as long as he's in full armour by the time the movie swings around. But come to think of it, the way that movies work.. that'll probably never happen. I have no problem with the EU bringing him back to life. The whole thing with Dengar isn't actually all that bad in my opinion.

Seeing Boba Fett as a kid - was pretty lame, I agree. I didn't like that at all.

But I'm fine with anything Fett related just as long as he's in full armour by the time the movie swings around. But come to think of it, the way that movies work.. that'll probably never happen. I have no problem with the EU bringing him back to life. The whole thing with Dengar isn't actually all that bad in my opinion.

Yeah, there's no way we'll get a Boba Fett movie where Fett is in the armour the whole time. Even for a character like Boba Fett, for a property as huge as Star Wars, Hollywood turns to shy away from movies where the lead character's face is constantly hidden.

The beauty of the original Trilogy is pretty much perfectly illustrated, for me, in the Cantina, and in Jabba's palace. There are all these alien races, all these creatures, all these colourful characters that you know nothing about. It creates the illusion of a huge universe, full of interesting characters and stories, and that you're only getting a glimpse at.

The prequels kill that by drawing completely needless connections between characters and events. It's hard to still imagine an expansive, multi-layered universe when it turns out that Anakin Skywalker built C3PO, Yoda buddied around with Chewbacca, and so on and so forth. It was mystery, and just enough being left to the imagination that made Star Wars what it was, and that's the reason it fired off so many ideas in people's imaginations. The more you fill in the gaps, the less interesting it becomes.

What they should be doing is telling new stories within the Star Wars universe, but not involving the major characters we know - or if they do, only on the peripherary. There's a whole universe to play with, it seems nuts to me to just say "well, we could do more with Yoda, then".

Yeah, there's no way we'll get a Boba Fett movie where Fett is in the armour the whole time. Even for a character like Boba Fett, for a property as huge as Star Wars, Hollywood turns to shy away from movies where the lead character's face is constantly hidden.

The beauty of the original Trilogy is pretty much perfectly illustrated, for me, in the Cantina, and in Jabba's palace. There are all these alien races, all these creatures, all these colourful characters that you know nothing about. It creates the illusion of a huge universe, full of interesting characters and stories, and that you're only getting a glimpse at.

The prequels kill that by drawing completely needless connections between characters and events. It's hard to still imagine an expansive, multi-layered universe when it turns out that Anakin Skywalker built C3PO, Yoda buddied around with Chewbacca, and so on and so forth. It was mystery, and just enough being left to the imagination that made Star Wars what it was, and that's the reason it fired off so many ideas in people's imaginations. The more you fill in the gaps, the less interesting it becomes.

What they should be doing is telling new stories within the Star Wars universe, but not involving the major characters we know - or if they do, only on the peripherary. There's a whole universe to play with, it seems nuts to me to just say "well, we could do more with Yoda, then".

That was the idea for the Star Wars TV show that will probably never get made, and it was a damn good one. Though now with Disney's money behind it, I guess it could get put into production. I'm betting it'll depend on how SHIELD's ratings are.

I missed the whole discussion about character-specific films. Again, what I said about there just being too many movies.

I do like that Ford is coming back to play Solo, if they're going to have the same characters it really helps to have the same actors for obvious reasons. It's obviously unfeasible in some circumstances, but I like it to be done when possible. One of those little things that helps me enjoy the movies a bit more as opposed to having an unnecessary comparison take place in my mind between the previous and current actors.