The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Because they're both children's films?

That's probably it, yes! Though in the same respect, they're both childrens films that appeal to people of all ages. I feel like connecting to a wide audience is going to be key to making the new films a success. And considering Toy Story 3 was a kids film that was also made to appeal to an audience of people that have since grown up, it makes a lot of success.

All I need now is a fun cast and confirmation that the entire thing won't be CGI this time around and I'll be very, very happy.

So, Abrams has ruled himself out but Jon Favreau seems to be putting some feelers out for directing.

Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, he did a fantastic job with Iron Man and was instrumental in kicking off the Marvel film franchise, not to mention he's done a lot of sci-fi. But... on the other hand, Iron Man 2 wasn't exactly great and Cowboys and Aliens was terrible.

Iron Man 2 wasn't great because it was a rush job. I didn't see Cowboys & Aliens, but the guys who wrote it also wrote shitty Transformers and the somehow even shittier Transformers 2, so that probably didn't help.

Michael Arndt + Jon Favreau should be a winning combination. I still think Gore Verbinski should direct though, the feel of the first Pirates movie is exactly what Star Wars needs.

It's going to be an interesting one because it's going to be a case of looking at the directors body of work for how well they can direct a film, rather than write it. I've got quite a bit of confidence in Jon Favreau to make a good looking Star Wars film that flows pretty well. Again I'll say though, I really don't want the shiny, futuristic Star Wars of the prequels. I'd really prefer the broken down, are we really trusting this old piece of junk to keep us alive feel of the future from the originals.

It's going to be an interesting one because it's going to be a case of looking at the directors body of work for how well they can direct a film, rather than write it. I've got quite a bit of confidence in Jon Favreau to make a good looking Star Wars film that flows pretty well. Again I'll say though, I really don't want the shiny, futuristic Star Wars of the prequels. I'd really prefer the broken down, are we really trusting this old piece of junk to keep us alive feel of the future from the originals.

Didnt the Star Wars movies take place in the past? Or is the opening line meant to show that someone is telling the stories long after they happened? And if thats the case I guess that means everything turned out ok :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...
So it turns out that newly revealed Star Wars writer-producers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg may not be writing Star Wars: Episode VIII and Star Wars: Episode IX after all.

The Hollywood Reporter says "that while Kasdan and Kinberg have indeed been hired to work on the Star Wars franchise, they will be writing separate projects (hence the reason why they also would receive producer credits), not necessarily Episode VIII and Episode IX."

It gets better. Lucasfilm is apparently following the Marvel Studios blueprint of laying out an extended, shared universe on the big screen. THR explains:

"Their scripts could turn into official 'Episodes' in the main Skywalker storyline, or they could form the basis for spinoffs focusing on side characters. Disney CEO Robert Iger said the goal is to release a Star Wars movie 'every two to three years,' and some could easily focus on other pieces of the expansive mythos (similar to Marvel’s Avengers universe). Disney and Lucasfilm declined comment."

Bad news for those of you who want them to leave the franchise alone; good news for those of us who're excited for all this. Disney will be following the Marvel route of releasing films that might not fit into the main storylines, but exist alongside.

As much as I've been a sceptic for most of this thread, I actually really like the sound of that - making Star Wars feel like a larger universe again is the way forward, and that's a logical way to do it, and leaves a lot more scope for people with vision and a passion for the franchise to do their thing, rather than having to fit within the framework of a more rigid continuing narrative.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently JJ Abrams turned down the chance to direct Episode VII.

Pretty interesting as I would've thought he'd be a great choice but the Star Trek attachment would've been kind of weird, had he accepted.

I'm still really curious to see who they'll hire but I hope it's not Jon Favreau because he would just make the same film 1000 other directors would. I still think Matthew Vaughn would be the best choice out of the ones that have been rumored for the gig.

Yeah, I don't have much enthusiasm for Jon Favreau. He could make a great movie but it's not assured he'll make a great movie, and I want someone for this where it's a sure thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Zack Snyder will not be directing Star Wars: Episode VII, but that's not going to keep him from playing in the Star Wars universe.

As many have suspected in the wake of Disney acquiring Lucasfilm, we're going to start seeing a whole lot more stories set in a galaxy far far away, and now Vulture reports that the Man of Steel director will be the first to give a parallel story a shot. They say he's making a film loosely based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai-- which of course, was also the inspiration for the classic Western The Magnificent Seven. Snyder's film would reportedly take place sometime after the events of Episode VI, which means we're leaping into the future, and probably a time that has nothing to do with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader or all the rest. The film wouldn't have a number like all the other entires, but it's possible it might be intended to kick off a brand new Star Wars series all its own.

Given that Disney CEO Bob Iger has said they intend to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years, this kind of parallel movie-- potentially made on a smaller budget than you usually expect for Star Wars-- could help make that possible. It's unclear when Snyder would have the time to start the film, since he's presumably in line to direct a Man of Steelsequel if that one succeeds, but you have to assume he'll make a Star Wars movie a priority.

Is Zack Snyder the right guy to make a Star Wars movie, even if it won't be an official sequel or prequel? Do you like the idea of telling parallel stories set within the same universe? Sound off below.

I mean... I'll hold off until Man of Steel to really form a proper opinion on this, but right now, I'm meeting it with a great big GULP.

Zack Snyder will not be directing Star Wars: Episode VII, but that's not going to keep him from playing in the Star Wars universe.

As many have suspected in the wake of Disney acquiring Lucasfilm, we're going to start seeing a whole lot more stories set in a galaxy far far away, and now Vulture reports that the Man of Steel director will be the first to give a parallel story a shot. They say he's making a film loosely based on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai-- which of course, was also the inspiration for the classic Western The Magnificent Seven. Snyder's film would reportedly take place sometime after the events of Episode VI, which means we're leaping into the future, and probably a time that has nothing to do with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader or all the rest. The film wouldn't have a number like all the other entires, but it's possible it might be intended to kick off a brand new Star Wars series all its own.

Given that Disney CEO Bob Iger has said they intend to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years, this kind of parallel movie-- potentially made on a smaller budget than you usually expect for Star Wars-- could help make that possible. It's unclear when Snyder would have the time to start the film, since he's presumably in line to direct a Man of Steelsequel if that one succeeds, but you have to assume he'll make a Star Wars movie a priority.

Is Zack Snyder the right guy to make a Star Wars movie, even if it won't be an official sequel or prequel? Do you like the idea of telling parallel stories set within the same universe? Sound off below.

I mean... I'll hold off until Man of Steel to really form a proper opinion on this, but right now, I'm meeting it with a great big GULP.

I'll say the same thing I said when he was given the Man of Steel job: as long as he's not writing any of it, it should be decent. It's not a coincidence that his two best movies (Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen) are ones he didn't also write.