The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Matthew Vaughn is an interesting choice for director. Less because X-Men, more because Kick-Ass and Stardust.

But as I was walking my dog, it hit me: Gore Verbinski.

He's a proven money-maker for Disney and Pirates of the Caribbean was basically Star Wars on a boat anyway, so why not? Most importantly, Star Wars has to be fun, and Pirates of the Caribbean is probably the most fun blockbuster popcorn flick I've seen in the last decade that wasn't based on a comic... and it's easily the best movie based on a theme park ride.

Star Wars is now 35 years old. Even a 10-year old who saw the film in theaters in 1977 is now 45 years old. It is time for the films and the fandom to be passed to a new generation. Heck, even the teenagers that saw "The Phantom Menace" in theaters in 1999 are approaching their 30s, of which I am one of them. I think Disney proved with PIXAR that they are more than happy to let the company run itself and just make a bunch of money for not doing much work.

Also, did anybody else like The Phantom Menace? I honestly contend if you watch the movie without any prejudice or ungodly expectations going in, it's a decent film and Liam Neeson is pretty good in it.

• Like 1

I agree it's not a horrible film, but IMO the weakest of the movies.

Though Attack of the Clones was pretty much entirely redeemed by Yoda fighting.

I enjoyed Ep. 1, but it might have something to do with it was the first time I saw a Star Wars movie, it's the only thing I've ever done with my uncle, and I was 10/11 at the time.

I was like 12 when Episode 1 first came out. But by then I've already seen the original trilogy several times. In fact, my parents would get me out of school early to see the Special Edition in theatres. Easily the highlight of my fifth grade year. Well, that, and the near-daily trips to 7-11 which fueled my slurpee addiction.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

So, basically, what I'm suddenly getting from this thread was that Disney got tired of constantly paying to license Star Tours and the Indiana Jones attractions at Disneyland and Disney World, so they decided, "Fuck it, why don't we just buy it so we pay ourselves for the licensing?"

A question that comes to mind, though: which direction in the time line do you think they'll be going? Considering we've got The Old Republic as a new MMORPG, it'd make sense to do something from that time line more than it would from something post-RotJ. Less need for the original cast, for example.

Also, I was fine with The Phantom Menace. The only major gripe I have with it is that some of the film's plot requires knowledge of the other films. That shouldn't have been the case for that film, on the off chance that some people didn't see the 1997 re-release of the original trilogy (or the subsequent VHS release). It doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets, though. Sure, Jar-Jar is vaguely racist, but the character doesn't really deserve the hate.

So, basically, what I'm suddenly getting from this thread was that Disney got tired of constantly paying to license Star Tours and the Indiana Jones attractions at Disneyland and Disney World, so they decided, "Fuck it, why don't we just buy it so we pay ourselves for the licensing?"

A question that comes to mind, though: which direction in the time line do you think they'll be going? Considering we've got The Old Republic as a new MMORPG, it'd make sense to do something from that time line more than it would from something post-RotJ. Less need for the original cast, for example.

Also, I was fine with The Phantom Menace. The only major gripe I have with it is that some of the film's plot requires knowledge of the other films. That shouldn't have been the case for that film, on the off chance that some people didn't see the 1997 re-release of the original trilogy (or the subsequent VHS release). It doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets, though. Sure, Jar-Jar is vaguely racist, but the character doesn't really deserve the hate.

Everything I've read so far says that it will be following Han, Luke and Leia after Episode 6 and will be a completely original story (meaning throw out anything you know about that time period from books and other means)

It'll be after Return Of The Jedi. It's called Episode VII.

As for Phantom Menace, I can't believe anyone actually likes it. I'm not talking about it as a "betrayal", or as a bad Star Wars movie, it's just a fucking horrendous film. The plot is paper-thin, and filled with constant tedious dialogue about trade negotiations and senate meetings IN SPACE. This isn't fucking Foundation, keep your clumsy sci-fi politics out of my Star Wars.

"The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute." - well I'm fucking gripped now. You may as well sell the rest of my seat, because I'm only going to need THE EDGE. Not exactly "It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire", is it?

Jar Jar isn't just "vaguely racist", he's a fucking hate crime. Doesn't help that his sole purpose is as comic relief, and he's never once funny. If it weren't for the fact that Watto, the sinister big-nosed untrustworthy, greedy, miserly, slave-owning, covertous space Jew (who, in the following film, wears a fucking Kippah), appears in the very same film, he'd be the worst part of any Star Wars movie ever.

Pod-Racing. The most tedious, tension-free and over-long "action" scene this side of fucking Quidditch. Actually, I'll take Quidditch over that shit.

It's also full of George Lucas' terrible, terrible dialogue. Not that the original trilogy wasn't - but there's a big difference between hearing a bad line expertly delivered by Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing or Harrison Ford, compared to hearing it woodenly spat out by Jake Lloyd, or Ewan McGregor's smarmy Alec Guinness impersonation. Why Obi-Wan Kenobi was suddenly a wise-cracking smug git, I have no idea.

Again, what I said about Darth Maul - he's a nothing character. Ooooh, he looks cool and has a two-sided lightsaber. Who is he? Why is the fight with him a big deal?

"Are you an angel?". Worst line delivery ever, cringeworthy attempt at romance by someone who can't write romance for shit. Oh, and apparently they have ANGELS in their ill-defined space religion now.

Midochlorians.

Anakin Skywalker built C3PO. Not only is it enormously unlikely that DARTH FUCKING VADER built the comic relief who happens to pop up in his life decades later, it's just stupid. It kills the illusion of a wider universe when you needlessly draw connections between any two fucking characters you choose. Also, if you were an eight year old kid, and you built a robot, why would you give it a generic serial number name? Also, C3PO is fluent in over six million forms of communication. I'd be willing to bet that Anakin Skywalker isn't.

Anakin's mother is calld Shmi.

Anakin Skywalker was born through immaculate fucking conception. This is not a plot point you can just fucking throw out there, guys.

The script is fucking awful. I know I already said that, but it bears repeating.

And then if you look at it as a prequel...even worse. Not just because it's such an inferior film to the original trilogy, but because none of it makes sense, or else it's just full of terrible decisions. The universe-shrinking thing pisses me off just as much, if not more, than the massive continuity errors - it's the antithesis of what Star Wars was. The original trilogy consisted of stunning sets, incredible make-up and costume work, just for nameless background figures. Things you barely saw were lavished with detail. It created the illusion of a vast universe, which is completely undone when you have shit like Darth Vader building C3PO, Yoda buddying around with Chewbacca, and constant fucking cameos and call-backs. We'd still realise it was Star Wars without Bib Fortuna and little kiddy Boba Fett (fuck Boba Fett) showing up.

The Jawas, rather than having what could at least potentially have been a complete language in A New Hope, now apparently are only capable of saying "UTINI".

Liam Neeson was good, though. Especially with such a generic character, he made it work. That might be the only good thing I have to say about that movie.

• Like 7