The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Lucas should be somewhat involved, just less than he was for the prequels... or Empire and Jedi, which were movies he didn't direct.

And I just don't get this "leave it alone" mentality. Why? No one says that about Marvel, DC, Star Trek, Bond, Buffy, or any other "nerdy" franchise. It has weaved itself directly into the culture and its massive universe have so many places you can explore without even touching the Luke Skywalker story, why not? I suppose you could make the argument that someone should try to make a new Star Wars, not literally, but some new pop culture phenomenon, but that doesn't mean Star Wars can't be further explored. And explored well.

Some stories reach their natural conclusion, sure... but Star Wars is one of those things that just doesn't need to.

The problem, so far, is that outside of the Clone Wars - which even then, fall into this trap too often - new Star Wars almost definitely will touch the Luke Skywalker story, and then you fall into the problem I talked about earlier, of shrinking your universe, and losing that appeal. If they want to do more films and projects that explore the wider universe, then by all means. But Episode 7 suggests a direct prequel, and suggests that it's one of the "other" trilogy that George Lucas totally definitely actually already wrote guys, so it will be directly connected to the Luke Skywalker story. And we don't need that.

I think the problem about episode VII is the impact the Movies had on my childhood. They were my childhood. I even adored the prequels. And I know no matter how good the rest are, I will inevitably end up disappointing.

(Not really calling you yourself out for this post, more for the thought that tends to stem from this attitude.)

Man, I hate this attitude so much. You see it a lot with Star Wars fans -- the fact that Lucas had the gall to make new Star Wars movies ruins their childhood. No. Someone making new movies based on a thing you like does not invalidate your childhood. They are helping make someone else's. Quom (I think) said it best, these are movies for kids. If adults can find something they like in it too, awesome, it did better than it had to. But I also have spoken to a lot of kids who really like the prequels because that's the Star Wars that they grew up on. And, in a few years there will be a new batch and that's awesome for those kids.

What? Were did I say my childhood was ruined by this? I just said I would be disappointed because nothing can live to my ridiculous expectations because I adored the films as a child. I know you were not calling me out personally, but still,. ;(

• Like 1

Lucas should be somewhat involved, just less than he was for the prequels... or Empire and Jedi, which were movies he didn't direct.

And I just don't get this "leave it alone" mentality. Why? No one says that about Marvel, DC, Star Trek, Bond, Buffy, or any other "nerdy" franchise. It has weaved itself directly into the culture and its massive universe have so many places you can explore without even touching the Luke Skywalker story, why not? I suppose you could make the argument that someone should try to make a new Star Wars, not literally, but some new pop culture phenomenon, but that doesn't mean Star Wars can't be further explored. And explored well.

Some stories reach their natural conclusion, sure... but Star Wars is one of those things that just doesn't need to.

The problem, so far, is that outside of the Clone Wars - which even then, fall into this trap too often - new Star Wars almost definitely will touch the Luke Skywalker story, and then you fall into the problem I talked about earlier, of shrinking your universe, and losing that appeal. If they want to do more films and projects that explore the wider universe, then by all means. But Episode 7 suggests a direct prequel, and suggests that it's one of the "other" trilogy that George Lucas totally definitely actually already wrote guys, so it will be directly connected to the Luke Skywalker story. And we don't need that.

And honestly, I'm fine with connecting it to Luke too, so long as they don't recast Luke, Han, Leia, etc. Then my cynicism would start rising.

I don't see why it can't connect to Luke and the others but still be nothing to do with them? They were integral to the Rebellion that took down a Galactic Empire. They're going to be god damn legends for years and years to come after the original trilogy ended. They don't need to be anything more than that. I'd like to see them go a good few hundred years ahead in time, when some new kind of evil rises. I'd actually like to see the Sith play a smaller role for once and rather see the Jedi faced with a new enemy. But then I guess if they use the Force and are evil, they're Sith just by that alone really.

Always thought it'd be cool to take the Firefly type story in that Universe. A smaller group of heroes in the big wide world, just trying to get by, maybe running into some pretty big evil, but not quite on the scope of the original Empire. A character more along the lines of what Cade Skywalker sounds like (who I only know from reading Wookiepedia) would be pretty sweet.

Honestly, I'll probably like it so long as it's better than the prequels and the look is closer to the original. I hated all the sleek, new starships. Give me old buckets of junk that look like they need a good kick to get going.

Star Wars theme park/section of a park? I'd put money on Disney doing it.

Where you listen to the Cantina band forever...

You say this like it's a bad thing?

Anyway, I hope the new one is all about Qui Gon Jin returning from the grave to do something for some reason. Also loads of podracing.

• Like 1

I'm REALLY optimistic about this. Really smart move by Disney. They will get that 4 billion back 10-fold in the next 50 years. I agree with what was said about Star Wars being compared to Marvel or DC. There will always be more. The Universe is just as expansive as those and they will always make more. Disney is no worse than any other company and they actually have some really creative people in their family of film makers that they work with and have deals with.

As far as the next Star Wars goes, JJ Abrams is certainly a realistic possibility and so is Joss Whedon but the Star Trek and Avengers franchises might interfere with that. Given his relationship with George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy and Disney tho, I wouldn't be surprised if they threw a curve ball and got Steven Speilberg to direct Star Wars 7.

Edited by Universal

Crazy, almost certainly untrue speculation on my part, but Matthew Vaughn recently dropped off the X-Men: First Class sequel for undisclosed reasons. Seems like they've been planning to go ahead with this sale and film for at least a little while. Lucas says they've been meeting with writers recently and Vaughn is a self-described "Star Wars fanatic" who by virtue of First Class has handled both fanboy expectation and budget with success. Just saying it would make more sense than Abrams, Whedon or Nolan. shifty.gif

Crazy, almost certainly untrue speculation on my part, but Matthew Vaughn recently dropped off the X-Men: First Class sequel for undisclosed reasons.

Actually, reports are saying it's likely so that he can work on The Secret Service, a project he's developing with Mark Millar. :P

Crazy, almost certainly untrue speculation on my part, but Matthew Vaughn recently dropped off the X-Men: First Class sequel for undisclosed reasons.

Actually, reports are saying it's likely so that he can work on The Secret Service, a project he's developing with Mark Millar. :P

A likely production title for Star Wars Episode VII: The Secret Service. shifty.gif

I feel like by 2025, every movie I grew up with will have a sequel, prequel or remake.

I mean maybe it'll be good with the right casting/directing etc., but I'm just not that optimistic about it, whether Disney has a better reputation with this things or not.

Nothing could be worse than the Star Wars Christmas Special, I hope I'm not proven wrong in a few years.

• Like 1

If the right person runs these things (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) then it could be great. I'll withhold judgment until more news comes out, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I know this response has been done to death, but wut.

I think the problem about episode VII is the impact the Movies had on my childhood. They were my childhood. I even adored the prequels. And I know no matter how good the rest are, I will inevitably end up disappointing.

(Not really calling you yourself out for this post, more for the thought that tends to stem from this attitude.)

Man, I hate this attitude so much. You see it a lot with Star Wars fans -- the fact that Lucas had the gall to make new Star Wars movies ruins their childhood. No. Someone making new movies based on a thing you like does not invalidate your childhood. They are helping make someone else's. Quom (I think) said it best, these are movies for kids. If adults can find something they like in it too, awesome, it did better than it had to. But I also have spoken to a lot of kids who really like the prequels because that's the Star Wars that they grew up on. And, in a few years there will be a new batch and that's awesome for those kids.

I would normally agree with this 100% but I really feel like the Transformers part of my childhood was invaliated by Michael Bay.

If the right person runs these things (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) then it could be great. I'll withhold judgment until more news comes out, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I know this response has been done to death, but wut.

I would normally agree with this 100% but I really feel like the Transformers part of my childhood was invaliated by Michael Bay.

I felt the same when I read that he was going to make TMNT into aliens. SO glad that movie seems like its dead now

tumblr_mcq3uh6qVZ1rk5dgco1_r1_1280.jpg