2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

I like the Wayne Gallman pick.  The Giants were supposedly interested in signing Blount but after the Gallman pick I don't see the need.  He's a good power back to complement Paul Perkins.

Don't know anything about Avery Moss other than that he was dismissed from Nebraska for showing his cock to a classmate.

Giants mercifully end their day early by trading their last 2 picks to move up a few spots in the 6th to get Adam Bisnowaty.  They were always going to add a lineman in this thing eventually.

You never know with these things but initially I'm happy with who Reese got.  The only one causing serious debate is using a third rounder on Davis Webb because he's clearly not going to be starting in the next 2 or 3 years.  But I thought it was a good value pick there, if he doesn't appear ready in the next couple of years when Eli retires there is nothing stopping them from taking somebody else.

I think Jake Butt is going to be used as a prime example next year when even more players choose to skip out on the non-playoff bowl games.  It is estimated that he's going to lose between $3-4 million in guaranteed money based on where he was projected to go prior to the injury vs. where he actually went.  Sitting out the bowl games clearly didn't make teams think less of guys like Fournette or McCaffery.

Jaylon Smith was the prime example, Jake Butt just hammers the point home even more. These guys are risking lucrative careers playing for free and they should stop doing that as soon as their value peaks.

At least Smith still went pretty early in the draft and got himself $6.5 million with $4.5 million of it being guaranteed.  Not what he would have made had he gone in the first round but still a nice starter contract especially since it's up in the air whether or not he'll be able to play again.

Butt was projected as a top 50 pick and fell 100 spots.  His contract is likely to guarantee him only about $400k.  He'll sit this year out but if he makes a full recovery he'll be playing for peanuts for three years.  In his case he's fortunate to have had a good insurance policy in place.

Butt's the biggest injury-related drop I can remember seeing.

I was hoping the Lions would take Jake Butt, but I can see why they took the TE that they did. He's huge, 6'7 and weighs..a lot but is lean and muscular. He has huge hands, doesn't drop passes, and is a very good blocker. He'll be a good red zone target for Stafford.