Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

3 minutes ago, Colly said:

Is Tammy Abraham going to be your starting striker too? I know the number 9 doesn't guarantee it at Chelsea, but that's a lot of pressure on him.

It's mainly been him or Giroud in pre-season. I imagine the choice between them will be a stylistic one depending on the opposition.

Think that's what has thrown me with Chelsea. It's a bit unpredictable as to who will play up top. 

In a way, the loanees coming back could be a boost as they might be given a chance to sign but I just can't get a feel of what Chelsea will line up like 

If I had to guess how Chelsea would line up at the moment (note that there are injuries like CHO and RLC), I would probably go with:

(4-2-3-1): Kepa; Emerson, Luiz*, Zouma, Azpilicueta; Kante**, Jorginho; Pulisic, Barkley, Pedro; Abraham

* - Christensen if Luiz does bugger off

** - Kovacic if Kante still isn't quite fit yet

3 minutes ago, Colly said:

You've still got Alonso haven't you, is he on the way out?

I should bloody hope not, I don't think we have any other left-backs. :shifty: 

Alonso could start too, but Emerson has been used more in pre-season I think.

• Admin

Manchester City have confirmed that Leroy Sane has damaged the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Sane was injured during the Community Shield on Sunday and the winger, who was a target for Bayern Munich, will need to have surgery.

• Admin

Premier League clubs have been urged to pay all staff above the minimum wage after spending £1.41bn on players.

Many cleaners, security guards, caterers and other staff do not earn enough money to cover the cost of living, the charity Citizens UK said.

It said only four out of 20 Premier League clubs are accredited by the Living Wage Foundation.

The clubs who have not signed up have been accused of losing touch with "the lives and struggles of workers".

Companies accredited by the Living Wage Foundation commit to paying all staff and any third-party contract workers the voluntary rate of £9 an hour and £10.55 in London, higher than the statutory UK National Minimum Wage of £8.21.

Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea and West Ham have all made the pledge - while some football clubs outside the top league, such as Championship side Luton, also pay the voluntary rate.

"I struggle to put food on the table for my family and I often have to have cut-price meals," said a cleaner who works at Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium.

"Considering the amount of money in football, it would be great to see the club paying all their staff a fair and decent wage," he said.

Premier League clubs made a record combined revenue of £4.8bn in the 2017-18 season.

By the end of transfer deadline day on Thursday the top clubs in English football had spent £1.41bn in a summer of signing new players - just short of the £1.43bn record set in 2017.

Citizens UK said a new football season was starting with employees "left on the breadline" which was "not right when clubs are splashing out record fees on players".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49288182

22 hours ago, Lineker said:

Manchester City have confirmed that Leroy Sane has damaged the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Sane was injured during the Community Shield on Sunday and the winger, who was a target for Bayern Munich, will need to have surgery.

6 months out minimum, it seems. At least he won't be leaving City during this window now.

• Admin

Arsenal's Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac, who were involved in an attempted carjacking by an armed gang, have been withdrawn from the squad after "further security incidents".

The two players were targeted in north London last month, with security camera footage showing Kolasinac confronting the offenders after they approached Ozil's car.

The pair were unhurt during the incident in Golder's Green.

In a statement, the Premier League club said the players "will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police".

It added: "The welfare of our players and their families is always a top priority and we have taken this decision following discussion with the players and their representatives.

"We are liaising with the police and are providing the players and their families with ongoing support.

"We look forward to welcoming the players back to the squad as soon as possible."