UEFA Champions League 2019/20

Lineker

I don't like Red Bull very much, it has quite an unpleasant taste. But I guess it's better tha an reputation laundering tool for the government of a Middle Eastern slave state, so I hope they win their semi.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 1

A) Be arsed with English team backed by sport washing slave state. 

B) Be arsed with French team backed by sport washing slave state

C) Be arsed with the team basically bank rolled by a drink that tastes like rust (although it's a lesser evil then said above two)

Basically I want Bayern to win. Whilst it's a boring choice I think they've played some really good football lately. Think if Barca don't win it, this summer will be very interesting and there could be a big spark for change across the club. 

Suppose if I can't have Bayern I'd settle for Leipzig. 

• Like 1

Other than the blatant OTT sponsorship what's people's problem with RB Leipzig? They run that football club brilliantly and have brought top level football back to prominence in East Germany for the first time since reunification.

I know they skirt the 50+1 rules in Germany but are they really different to Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg or Bayer Leverkusen who are/were all owned by massive corporations who use it for sponsorship? The same Bayer who used concentration camp slave labour during WW2? But a shitty energy drink draws all the shit.

Not just Germany either, nobody is bothered that PSV were literally called after Phillips and had their name on the branding for their whole existence.

• Like 5

I don't really understand the anger that gets directed toward Leipzig. I think it's a lot of cynicism because they place the sponsorship all over the clubs, whether it be Salzburg, New York, or Leipzig. It's also a bit odd because Leipzig is essentially a newly created club with no history. But all of that is a good thing for me. The fans in Leipzig have a world class club and that simply was not happening without a major investment like that of Red Bull. They're pretty entertaining to watch. It's certainly better than blood money laundering operations that have sprouted up everywhere else. Though, I'm sure if we dig deep into Red Bull's portfolio will find some level of unsavory ties, but *shrugs*.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TCO said:

Not just Germany either, nobody is bothered that PSV were literally called after Phillips and had their name on the branding for their whole existence.

This is a horrific comparison unless you're suggesting that RB Leipzig started a decade ago as an after work activity at a bottling plant.

I don't dislike them to a huge extent, but it's just another example of football club as plaything, and I can't support that over Atletico. Yes it's good that an Eaat German club has ascended, but there were plenty of options I'd have preferred that didn't involve the team being literally branded with an energy drink. We've discussed gambling sponsorship in the EFL thread, but that really isn't much better.

• Like 2

The Red  Bull thing is a marketing exercise. Which I suppose can ring quite hollow and artificial verses clubs founded for recreational purposes in the 19th century.

German reunification scewed the East German teams over in a lot of ways. Its kinda ironic that capitalism and a multi national company is what it took to get an team from a place in the former DDR into a competitive force. And maybe a little sad.

Also that they took over an existing club and rebranded it. Football clubs as franchises kind of alien in europe.

I'm not sure its wholly fair to compare them with clubs founded a century ago for or by workers in industry. Which is a little different.