UEFA Champions League 2019/20

Lineker

13 minutes ago, Colly said:

I can't understand how they're so bad, they're getting beaten by utterly basic stuff.

Coutinho's on loan isn't he? Are there not rules against that in the Champions League?

He should score 4 OGs at pace.

Apparently UEFA don't enforce it. There was talk in a thread somewhere, maybe even this one, about Chelsea not wanting Courtois to play in goal against them for Atletico Madrid a few years back. Atletico disputed it and UEFA backed them, so presumably it's a universal rule in European competitions now.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/uefa-step-in-to-ensure-courtois-can-play-against-chelsea-after-all-423456

18 minutes ago, Colly said:

I can't understand how they're so bad, they're getting beaten by utterly basic stuff.

Coutinho's on loan isn't he? Are there not rules against that in the Champions League?

He should score 4 OGs at pace.

That rule never existed in the Champions League. Famous one was Morientes scoring and knocking out Real Madrid with Monaco in 2003!

I remember Patrick Roberts scored for Celtic against Man CIty a few years back too.

Coutinho coming on to score 2, and assist on another, is just the greatest part of the scoreline.

Coutinho contributed to more Bayern goals, as a Barca player, than Barca scored in the match.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Just realized I think this is the third time in a row Barcelona have gotten kicked out of the UCL with a trashing. 4-0 last year, 3-0 to Roma in 2018.

They only know how to spectacularly crash out of the Champion's League these days. 

They were also kicked out 3-0 by Juventus in a game not too long ago. 2016? 2017?

• Like 1

Is Coutinho, through no fault of his own, the worst transfer in history? Like, there's signing a player who is terrible and a total flop and that's where it ends, and I don't think Coutinho even was that, but everything wrapped in to how that transfer has gone is just comical.

• Spent about three years trying as hard as they can to sign him, unsettling him the whole way.
  • Eventually sign him for a club record fee of potentially £142m.
  • Fuck him around, and get on his back after basically giving him no time at all, when he's not even playing terribly to begin with.
  • Bafflingly loan out said £142m player to a European rival.
  • He comes on in a Champions League quarter final against them, provides an assist, then scores twice against them while they're paying at least some of his wage.
  • If he wins the Champions League with Bayern, they then have to pay more towards that transfer fee to Liverpool.
  • Liverpool, meanwhile, have used that money to go towards signing players like Virgil van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho and become pretty much the best team in world football, while things have gone from bad to worse for Barcelona.

Barcelona's transfers have been utterly mystifying for about a decade, but this one has just been out of this world farcical.

Also, Thomas Muller is basically Thanos isn't he. Any fading giant seeing him on the opposition team sheet should be fucking worried at this point.

muller.jpg

edee2497039605d79d3b630c468cdd60

• Like 3

Somewhere out there, there is a traumatised Brazilian Barcelona fan who just sees Thomas Muller every time they close their eyes.

I'm trying to think of as bad a transfer as Coutinho, the only ones I can think of that might be in the same ballpark are all recent Barcelona transfers.

Dembele - 145m Euros on a player with attitude issues whose hamstrings explode every time he makes a sprint.

Griezmann - 120m Euros on a player they seemingly don't want to play and whose best position is occupied by the greatest player of all time.

Arthur - 31m Euros, swapped at 24 for a slow, 30 year old midfield player and 12m Euros

• Haha 1