Summer Transfer Window 2020

Lineker

36 minutes ago, Colly said:

What I would say is it feels like Liverpool do have a few in that role already in Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho, surely one has to make way?

Wijnaldum is apparently off to Barca, who can sign him as they've sold Rakitic. Their other deals - Ajax's Sergino Dest and Lyon's Memphis Depay, depend on their ability to get rid of Nelson Semedo and Luis Suarez, as La Liga have instituted a one-in-one-out rule.

All these stats are for people with no souls. Back when I was a lad football was about the romance of the occasion, passion, community, nation, shared journeys, but now it's just a long sad trudge through a Tifo video about expected goals in the Belgian second division.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, metalman said:

All these stats are for people with no souls. Back when I was a lad football was about the romance of the occasion, passion, community, nation, shared journeys, but now it's just a long sad trudge through a Tifo video about expected goals in the Belgian second division.

One of the lads in some of my undergraduate classes did his undergrad thesis on analytics. He found out that newly promoted teams in the Premier League defend more than the previous season when they were in the Championship.

Ground breaking.

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

One of the lads in some of my undergraduate classes did his undergrad thesis on analytics. He found out that newly promoted teams in the Premier League defend more than the previous season when they were in the Championship.

Ground breaking.

So we know promoted teams defend more. And we also know promoted teams don't do as well as in the Premier league as they did in the championship.

Thus the more a promoted team defends the worse their league position will be.

15 hours ago, Colly said:

What I would say is it feels like Liverpool do have a few in that role already in Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho, surely one has to make way?

Thiago is better than everyone else we have in those roles (Wijnaldum, Henderson, Keita, Ox, Milner), and Fabinho is best as the deepest player. Apparently we are also foregoing buying a 4th choice CB and will just plug Fabinho in there and will just make up the difference with the surplus of midfielders we now have. I imagine our best midfield is now Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago, but the depth there is insane. Also it looks like Gini may not be off to Barca after all.

Seems like this is the death knell for Ox as a meaningful central midfielder, though.

6 hours ago, Nerf said:

Thiago is better than everyone else we have in those roles (Wijnaldum, Henderson, Keita, Ox, Milner), and Fabinho is best as the deepest player. Apparently we are also foregoing buying a 4th choice CB and will just plug Fabinho in there and will just make up the difference with the surplus of midfielders we now have. I imagine our best midfield is now Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago, but the depth there is insane. Also it looks like Gini may not be off to Barca after all.

Seems like this is the death knell for Ox as a meaningful central midfielder, though.

Unfortunately Ox cannot stay fit anymore. He's going to go the way of Lallana soon, most likely. A good player who just couldn't stay healthy, and fell way behind as a result

4 minutes ago, Adam said:

There's talk amongst journalists that Liverpool are keen on Diogo Jota now as well.

Hoever is going to Wolves for approx 10mil + Add-ons. Hopefully got a buyback clause but that's silly money for a kid who has played in a total of 4 games for us in the cups. 

Rather get Jota in then Sarr given they want about 30+mil for him 

2 hours ago, Nerf said:

Rory Smith now saying a deal for Jota is "pretty close." Wtf is going on today.

Jorge Mendes is moving the Portuguese pieces into position for Liverpool's retaliatory signing of Ronaldo next summer when Messi signs for Man City.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Hoever is going to Wolves for approx 10mil + Add-ons. Hopefully got a buyback clause but that's silly money for a kid who has played in a total of 4 games for us in the cups. 

I reckon he'll clean up at Wolves.

237022069?$rsp-pdp-port-1080$

• Like 2