MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

8 hours ago, DMN said:

Defense hasn't mattered in baseball since the 80s.

A run saved in the field is just as valuable as a run driven in.

I would know, as Sandy Alderson routinely ignored defense in his team composition the whole time he was here.  He viewed second base and shortstop as offense-first positions and as such every ground ball pitcher the Mets had struggled mightily.  Defense cost them at least two games in the 2015 World Series.

During their brief run of success this decade the Orioles had a big focus on bringing in and keeping players who were great at defense. The 2012 team went from good to contenders when Machado came up and basically turned into Brooks Robinson at 3rd.

Defense bails out subpar pitching much more than elite pitching bails out defense. Obviously your ideal scenario is a pitcher who just rarely puts balls in play, but that's hard to find.

• Like 2

My friends and I were chatting about the Angels. Since the 2002 World Series which they won with an almost entirely homegrown team they have produced 2 multiple-time All-Stars. Trout and Jered Weaver. Almost all their major moves have been signing veteran FAs, most of whom haven't worked out. Josh Hamilton, CJ Wilson, and Albert Pujols are all-time bad contracts.

They've slowly turned the corner on player development so possibly once Trout is in his mid 30s there will be a very good team around him finally.

Also, the organization absolutely destroyed Shohei Ohtani who is basically just a regular DH now.

12 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

That Jays win yesterday is exactly what I love about baseball.

All negates everything anybody said about being up 7-0 and unwritten rules.

Yeah, these unwritten rules of baseball are pretty garbage. The game can turn on a dime and teams should be playing to win at all times, regardless of how many runs they are up.

With the two wins yesterday, the Jays now have a 49% probability of reaching the post-season and are in possession of the final playoff spot in the American League. The team hasn't been consistent enough for me to start the parade, but they are battling hard and proving the doubters wrong currently. A lot of us said that they could be dangerous, especially in a shortened season, and got laughed at, but the talent is there. If they can tighten up defensively and the bats don't disappear, they have a legitimate shot at post-season baseball.

• Like 1

Good trade for the Phillies. Pivetta has been a perpetual "guy with promise" it seems. At this point you probably can't expect anything from him. Seabold is a dime-a-dozen prospect who might crack the majors but won't make an impact. This might actually help their bullpen, but they're basically giving up nothing to do it.

1 hour ago, damsher hatfield said:

Proud to announce that the Orioles do in fact actually suck.

We did a good job of hiding it for as long as we did.

Please be good Mountcastle...

• Like 1