MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

It still guts me that he had to retire from public life last year before he had the chance to appear with the 1969 Mets for their 50th anniversary celebration.  In hindsight, it was clear how severe his dementia had become for him to need to make that decision to not be seen.

I'm glad he's no longer suffering but I feel like I lost a grandfather.

• Like 1

Fangraphs' Playoff Probability % has seven AL teams at 97%+ chance of making the playoffs and the eighth (Blue Jays) at 84%, miles ahead of the next closest team (Tigers at 17%).  That's based on their current record now along with remaining schedule.

Obviously, with a short season all it takes is an unexpected shutdown or a team to have a bad week to turn things on their head, but imagine how much this would suck to have eight-team playoffs in a normal season?

If there were only five spots up for grabs, this would mean three fun divisional races and a tight wild card race.

But because playoffs were expanded and the AL could well work out to being eight good teams and seven crap ones, there's a chance there will be very little drama over the final couple of weeks.  This year in particular because there is no real incentive to winning your division or getting the best record, you're just getting a best of three crapshoot anyway.

This is why I've said for years that playoff expansion in baseball is idiotic. You don't play 162 games to still let half the league in. This year, different circumstances, whatever. But everybody that wants to expand it moving forward don't realize how incredibly lame it would be. 

So each LDS and LCS will be held in the other league's stadiums? Interesting....

(I actually like that idea.)

*edit* They should hold the World Series in Seattle, just to rub it in the faces of the Mariners' fans.

Edited by GhostMachine

We're bubbling up for the post season.  The AL series will take place at Dodgers Stadium and Petco Park, with the ALCS happening at Petco.  The NL series will take place at Globe Life Field and Minute Maid Park, with the NLCS and World Series happening at Globe Life Field.

lol, enjoy living in Arlington, TX for awhile :lol: