Your Favourite Sporting Moments...That Don't Involve Your Team

Adam

No idea if we've done anything like this before, but I thought I'd pose the question anyway...what are your favourite sporting moments, matches and memories that DON'T involve your own team or favourite player? So @Baddar can't mention Man Utd, @B-li Manning can't say anything about the Giants, and @Lineklaus...he might struggle with this one to be fair!

My contributions...

1. The infamous Sergio Aguero goal that won Man City the Premier League in 2012. I do not like City and have no big investment in the top clubs, but I've never seen anything so dramatic not involving my own team. We were in our local pub watching the City-QPR game whilst a bunch of Man United fans chanted songs about being champions as they watched their game over the other side of the bar, and when Aguero slammed in that winner we all absolutely lost it. Jumping on tables, screaming and hugging...and not one City fan among us! Honestly, it still gives me goosebumps.

2. I however am going to take the liberty of mentioning the New York Giants and David Tyree's incredible "Helmet Catch" on the winning drive of Super Bowl 42. I believe this was the first game of NFL I ever watched, purely out of curiosity as I was a sports sponge when I was younger (still am tbf) and was attracted to the American glitz and glamour. I had no team but would choose the Arizona Cardinals the following year, so this easily falls within my remit. Tyree, an unlikely hero of the Giants offense, made an improbable catch in a game that helped me to fall in love with the sport - and what a story this was anyway. The unfancied Giants knocking off the "Perfect Patriots" of Tom Brady and co. and doing so in ridiculous fashion. The NFL won't let me embed their video of it so here is a Secret Base (SB Nation) video on it instead.

3. Hey, this one only happened a few days ago! Isn't sport wonderful? I had already had the idea for this thread kicking around my head but this just feels like an appropriate addition. I have always been a Williams supporter in F1, and my favourite drivers to root for down the years are Alonso, Webber and Raikkonen. In fact, I have a reasonable dislike for the Racing Point/Force India/soon to be Aston Martin team for various reasons, but none of which are Sergio Perez. This is a guy who has driven for a decade in Formula One without ever winning a race despite having bags of talent and, at times, a very capable car. This year, he has been ditched from the team despite helping to keep it afloat and get the current owners on board yet is being shunted aside so that the owner's son, who is an inferior driver, can race alongside multi-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel. Anyway, Perez signs off after this weekend with a win under his belt having crashed on the first lap and fought his way through the field to win what was an insane Sakhir GP in Bahrain, full of drama and excitement.

Alright, let's hear your choices - post videos, tell stories, just make a list if you want! What are your favourite sporting moments and memories that DIDN'T involve your team?

• Like 1

James Paxton throwing a no-hitter in Toronto was pretty fun, even if it was against our team. 

The Dee Gordon home run after Jose Fernandez passed away and the no-hitter by the Angels after Skaggs passed away were both pretty incredible. 

• Like 1

Actually only a few weeks ago, the Super League Grand Final between bitter rivals Wigan and St Helens. It's 4-4 with literally one minute left and Wigan have a penalty to go 6-4 up and this happens....

• Like 1

Aguero has to be up there for me. Pub split between Everton and Liverpool fans with the Everton fans wanting United to win the title and Liverpool fans wanting City. I don't think there'll ever be a title race with the same ending again or one quite as dramatic. 

Wigan beating City in the FA cup final is probably the last real magic of the cup moment in a final. The oil state backed team full of superstars against plucky Wigan who somehow kept surviving against relegation and for them to score 91st minute will be something that won't be forgotten by many. Ben Watson will always have that moment for the rest of his life. 

Tiger Woods winning the masters in 2019 was a feel good story. A once former great who was plagued with his back and out of sport troubles and tbh wasn't doing very well in a lot of tournaments but having that one big final tournament win was good to see 

Eagles winning the Superbowl against the Patriots. Just coming up against this unstoppable force with a backup quarterback starting and winning your first Superbowl was fascinating to watch as an outsider. 

Ruiz/Joshua is one that I most recently think of in terms of boxing. No one gave Ruiz a chance and although Joshua schooled him in the second fight I do love an underdog upsetting the odds so seeing him floor Joshua several times and winning was fascinating 

I do wish I could post about Liverpool ha! There's so many mad moments 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GA! said:

The best ending to a football match ever. For those who can't remember, if Leicester score the penalty they're through to the Play-Off Finals...

I feel obliged to say that Doncaster Rovers did this exact same thing a week or two earlier and in my opinion it is a better finish because it meant we won the league over our opponents Brentford rather than "just" reaching a Play Off Final, especially as Watford lost at Wembley after all this. :P

Still absolutely crazy of course, and Michael Oliver actually refereed both games! Wonder what he was thinking after Deeney scored.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam said:

I feel obliged to say that Doncaster Rovers did this exact same thing a week or two earlier and in my opinion it is a better finish because it meant we won the league over our opponents Brentford rather than "just" reaching a Play Off Final, especially as Watford lost at Wembley after all this. :P

Still absolutely crazy of course, and Michael Oliver actually refereed both games! Wonder what he was thinking after Deeney scored.

I forgot the Doncaster one was basically the week before! I prefer the Watford one but here it is anyway, still a cracking finish:

• Like 2

Jimmy Glass's last-minute winner for Carlisle to keep them in the Football League. It was such an outpouring of emotion for an unlikely hero.

72 Jimmy Glass Saves Carlisle Utd - YouTube

Then there's South Africa winning the Rugby World Cup in 1995. In and of itself, that was a significant moment, but seeing Nelson Mandela present the trophy to a great ovation was such a memorable sight in both a sporting and non-sporting context.

Nelson Mandela & Francois Pienaar moment at RWC 1995 - YouTube

• Like 2

Favourites that I attended live - 

• Handball at the London Olympics, seeing Hungary save a penalty, counter attack and score to equalise against the more favoured Iceland with literally seconds on the clock to take it to extra time. Then win in extra time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYPuZKAes8

Favs from TV etc - 

• Euro 2000: Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia. Mental game that Spain needed to win to qualify from their group. They were 3-2 down in injury time and won 4-3. Rarely have I been so buzzed about a football comeback not involving a team I support. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvN3atq9Xpg

• Goran Ivanesevic winning Wimbledon as a WildCard qualifier. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DFF said:

Goran Ivanesevic winning Wimbledon as a WildCard qualifier. 

How did I forget about this? I don't think I've heard a cheer like that at Wimbledon ever, even when Andy Murray won. I'm still a bit annoyed that the rain delayed the match until Monday, so I missed it because of school.

Oh yeah I remember the Goran victory at Wimbledon. Due to rain and the move to Monday, ESPN didn't air it live if I recall. So I went on their website and spoiled the moment for myself. The Monday crowd was absolutely incredible though and it's a shame we usually just get all the aristocrats and oligarchs politely clapping during the Wimbledon final and not near-riotous Aussies and Croats every year.

Murray was a special moment too but I don't think as loud as it was for Goran. Just based on the nature of the people who made up most of the audience.

It's actually a big reason, while Wimbledon feels the most significant of the tournaments, the US Open or Aussie Open under the lights is probably the most entertaining tennis there is. More of a working class crowd at both. 

Easy choice for my favourite as I remember watching this on a small colour TV in my Dad's room when I was 13. Was absolutely blown away by how the French team managed to claw their way back into the game against what seemed like an unstoppable New Zealand team.

I'm not sure if it counts as "don't involve your team" - I don't actively support Norwich but naturally have an affinity for them on account of being born and raised here - but the Delia Smith "Let's be 'avin you" moment stands the test of time. Also the hype around Norwich beating Man Utd in 2005 (and again, to a lesser extent, in 2012 and 2015) was great.

Greece winning Euro 2004, the miracle of Istanbul, and South Korea beating Germany at the 2018 World Cup are up there.

In terms of all-time though, it has to be this: