Summer Transfer Window 2021

Lineker

John Percy typically knows, so I’d say that this is legit.

Hopefully the efforts to convince him to stay work, but I’m pretty sure he’s off sadly.

Basically boils down to trophies vs statue outside Villa Park. Depends on what kind of legacy he wants. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Maybe a romantic idea, but you don't think it's possible he can go win trophies, come back and still get a statue? It's hard to turn down City I imagine. 

Theoretically possible I guess. There’s a lot of fans that won’t forgive him for leaving though, that’s a wound that won’t heal for a long time I reckon. I’m already seeing people saying that he owes the club for standing by him during the lockdown breaking, driving offences, and partying. Those people will see anything less than a new contract as betrayal.

I don’t think we’d go the way of Birmingham when they let Jude Bellingham go, that’s for certain.

I’m torn on it. Wouldn’t be as angry as many, but it’ll be a punch to the gut all the same.

Where's this Grealish statue talk come from? I mean he's a good player in an improving side but we're talking about a club with history and a European cup, does a floppy haired lad who helped them finish in the top half really compare?

15 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Theoretically possible I guess. There’s a lot of fans that won’t forgive him for leaving though, that’s a wound that won’t heal for a long time I reckon. I’m already seeing people saying that he owes the club for standing by him during the lockdown breaking, driving offences, and partying. Those people will see anything less than a new contract as betrayal.

I don’t think we’d go the way of Birmingham when they let Jude Bellingham go, that’s for certain.

I’m torn on it. Wouldn’t be as angry as many, but it’ll be a punch to the gut all the same.

I find it hard to see that point of view. Much like Kane, I'll be gutted if he leaves, but not angry. With all respect to Villa, Grealish and Kane deserve to be playing at a higher level than both of these clubs are currently at. It'd be amazing if they both stay, and I definitely think there's something in wanting a different type of legacy that isn't just trophies at the richest club in the league, but I'd be baffled by fans who begrudge those players for leaving. 

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

Where's this Grealish statue talk come from? I mean he's a good player in an improving side but we're talking about a club with history and a European cup, does a floppy haired lad who helped them finish in the top half really compare?

I'd say it's all context, isn't it? There's always something brilliant about one of your own sticking with your club for a long period of time, knowing they could've gone elsewhere, but sticking by your team. Especially when they have a one-club career, I see it. 

I mean, it's obviously not the same, but how do you feel about the Shearer statue? 

• Like 1

I'm not a Villa fan, obviously, but to me it would be unfair to begrudge Grealish a move now if he wanted it. He has been a regular in their first team for 7 years, played over 200 games, and would be moving for a huge fee to the best club in the country.

He wouldn't be leaving at the first sign of interest or after one good season, he's been a star for a few years now. And he played a big role in Villa's promotion back to the Premier League too. I don't think he owes Villa anything, he's put a lot in, made a big contribution and would be creating a big cash windfall for the club too.

As a neutral/outsider I'd rather see Kane go to City I think, but there's no reason they couldn't sign both players if they really wanted to.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

I'd say it's all context, isn't it? There's always something brilliant about one of your own sticking with your club for a long period of time, knowing they could've gone elsewhere, but sticking by your team. Especially when they have a one-club career, I see it. 

I mean, it's obviously not the same, but how do you feel about the Shearer statue? 

I just think it's a bit premature. If he stayed and led Villa into some new golden age than you'd think about it, but to be even talking about it for a player who's spent half his time there in the second tier feels very small club, and Villa aren't a small club.

With Shearer he's got the statue because he's the clubs record scorer, and for a team who haven't won anything in over 50 years that feels worth celebrating. If Grealish could stay and achieve something similar then you'd be talking about it but now? I'd sooner put up a Stilian Petrov statue.