Summer Transfer Window 2021

Lineker

19 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Simon Stone saying City aren't signing him, but idk about his credibility

Stone is, despite apparently being on the outs with the hierarchy of both Manchester clubs, really the go-to guy for news about both clubs - he broke City pulling out and United going in before Fab did.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, damshow said:

Not to rain on what will likely be a happy day for Man Utd fans, but I don't see how Ronaldo fixes their most glaring hole. Still an upgrade for their attack mind you, not going to take that away. But don't think he's what launches them to the top of the PL or Europe.

It fixes the please don't sign for fucking City hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I have no doubt Cristiano Ronaldo can still be useful, but, while still very good, he is no longer the ridiculous goal scorer he was in his peak years in Madrid.

I know people know this but I just feel no matter what he does it will feel like a disappointment, because people may be expecting him to do things he hasn't done in a while.

It seems very likely he'll end up at Man Utd now. City are out.

21 minutes ago, Malenko said:

I have no doubt Cristiano Ronaldo can still be useful, but, while still very good, he is no longer the ridiculous goal scorer he was in his peak years in Madrid.

I know people know this but I just feel no matter what he does it will feel like a disappointment, because people may be expecting him to do things he hasn't done in a while.

It seems very likely he'll end up at Man Utd now. City are out.

Didn't he score 31 goals last season?

I am curious to see how this plays out. I think Ronaldo is actually a better fit for United then City because he's not going to press like Pep wants his ST to, although with how much possession they'd have, I guess the penalty box predator that he now is could cancel that flaw out.

However, there's a reason why Ronaldo and Bruno weren't starting together all the time at the Euros, and when they were on the pitch together against better opponents, they didn't particularly play well together, from what I remember.

Also: 

18 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Didn't he score 31 goals last season?

I am curious to see how this plays out. I think Ronaldo is actually a better fit for United then City because he's not going to press like Pep wants his ST to, although with how much possession they'd have, I guess the penalty box predator that he now is could cancel that flaw out.

However, there's a reason why Ronaldo and Bruno weren't starting together all the time at the Euros, and when they were on the pitch together against better opponents, they didn't particularly play well together, from what I remember.

Yes, but with no disrespect to the Italian league, at the moment it's not as strong as the english or spanish leagues (at least while he played there). Ronaldo at his peak which I would say was between 2011/16 would score over a goal por game and some 50 goals a season while still playing a fake Left wing position. He's not able to do as much now - even though he plays more like an out and out striker these days - and it's easy to see when you watch him play. His last couple of years with Madrid were already a bit worse.

Again, I didn't say he's just crap now. I did say he's still very good at what he does but at some point in his career he was arguably the number 2 in the world, and he's not at that level anymore. The name Ronaldo still carries weight and it comes with the memories of all the goals he scored the last decade. I think some (I would even say many) people would be expecting that and they're probably not getting that.

As for Bruno, I think that'll mostly depend on the manager. As you can see, Ronaldo's NT goalscoring increased since the new manager arrived because he has the team play for him at all times. Even though there was a slight decline in goals at club level he started banging them in (if you just check the stats) for Portugal, as if he was actually improving and reaching his peak. When you actually watch those goals, it's not hard to see why he's scoring more now.

I'm pretty sure if Bruno is allowed to play the way he did last season for Man Utd it wouldn't affect him THAT much.

6 minutes ago, damshow said:

Biggest problem Bruno and Ronaldo might have playing together is who gets to take penalties.

Cue images of them both trying to run to the spot and be the first one there.

This is a good problem to have.