The New New Kit Thread

Baddar

I'm on record about how much I love Hummel kits, but I'm not a fan of this. The concept is great, but it actually looks worse than the inspiration. The sponsor ruins it of course, but the way the sleeves join on looks cheap and shit and the crest and Hummel badges look washed out by comparison. 

• Admin

Aston Villa’s new shirt sponsorship deal with a controversial online betting firm has attracted fierce criticism from the club’s own supporters’ trust.

The Premier League club have agreed to a partnership with the Asia-based online betting firm BK8 until the end of the 2025-26 campaign, when English top-flight clubs will withdraw gambling sponsorships from the front of their matchday shirts.

Norwich City agreed a sponsorship deal with BK8 in 2021, but cancelled it after just three days, following complaints from supporters over its sexualised online marketing material involving young women.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Aston Villa Supporters’ Trust (AVST) labelled the sponsorship deal a “cynical attempt” at financial gain and accused the club of ignoring fans’ concerns about gambling sponsorship.

“Though we acknowledge the commercial reality, we sadly feel the club has failed to listen to the legitimate concerns of fans about the role of gambling sponsorship in sport,” AVST said in a statement.

“The BK8 agreement is a cynical last-minute attempt to scoop the financial gains ahead of the voluntary ban on front-of-shirt gambling sponsors,” the statement added.

“While we understand fans, players and club staff alike want Villa to be as successful as possible, that should not come at the expense of exposing fans to the exploitative practices of gambling operators, especially during a cost-of-living crisis.”

In a statement announcing the partnership, Aston Villa said that BK8 will make a contribution to a local charity in Birmingham for every sale of the club’s new third kit.

“The move comes off the back of BK8’s previous work over the past two years, working with charities and programmes involving mental health awareness, and this initiative is the first of what will be a number of collaborations,” the club statement added.

AVST said they welcomed the funding but added “it should not come at the expense of others”. The supporters’ club added it had highlighted the social and mental harms caused by gambling addiction, and expressed concerns about BK8’s “misogynistic” marketing practices in a joint statement with other Villa fan groups in January.

“At the time, we were given assurances of the club’s due diligence process and advised that the misogynistic practices were that of a BK8 affiliate,” AVST said. Reuters has contacted both Aston Villa and BK8 for comment.

The new home shirt, designed by Castore, also features a redesigned crest inspired by the badge worn by Villa’s 1982 European Cup winning side. Midfielder John McGinn posed with the new shirt after announcing a contract extension, keeping the Scotland international at the club until 2027.

John McGinn with the 2023-24 Aston Villa home shirt.

• Sad 1

It's arguably worse this time around. The initial reactions from Norwich fans was "...who?", before the dodgy website and sexualised advertising was known about. Villa have gone into this knowing that stuff caused an uproar and that they can't wear it while playing in Europe.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2023 at 10:20, Gorka said:

Adult-Home-2-23-24-Web-V01.jpg

Adult-Away-2-23-24-Web-V01.jpg

Loving the away kit.

This taught me that a) Joe Allen is still playing b) having looked it up he's only 33. I could've sworn he was older.

I know that Standard Chartered has been on Liverpool's shirts for ages, but I think something about the particular shade of green in both those kits really triggers something in my brain to think "wow these kits look like actual branding from a bank's website".