FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

The good news is this US team definitely feels like they'll have chances to equalize. The bad news is their whole group stage felt like "oh, if their finishing was better they'd have scored."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Still trying to be positive. One goal doesn't mean it's over

This kind of early goal gives the US a great chance to tweak their response and keep piling on the attacking pressure they had going. Netherlands are gonna be evil and try to wear them down, which is the smart thing to do when you have so many reliable and calm passers of the ball.

Expecting the US to crank up the pace and force a mistake. The big risk is another fluid counter attack from Netherlands.

• Like 1

It was a lovely passing move for the Dutch goal. Van Gaal can stick that to the national press if they win now.

11 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Pulisic failing to convert a sitter really fucking hurts now.

I wouldn't say it was a sitter, he just didn't catch it right. If USA can keep their heads on, they have chances in this game to get it back.

It's a shame Brian McBride isn't still around.

4 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

It's one on one with the keeper. Inside the box. There's no excuse for failing to score there, especially if you're Christian Pulisic.

Well known prolific goalscorer Christian Pulisic.

It wasn't a sitter. He should have done better, but that's not the same thing.

I had Weah for a SOT that I thought might have been a bit hopeful, so I'll take that strike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On the Pulisic front it's so funny that they insist on calling him Captain America when he is not the captain and from what I've seen decidedly not the best player on the team. He's more of a U.S. Agent, really.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The good news is this US team definitely feels like they'll have chances to equalize. The bad news is their whole group stage felt like "oh, if their finishing was better they'd have scored."

If we ever figure out how to finish, we could be fairly competitive.

And damn. :(