Do you still care about achievments/trophies?

Your Mom

I'm starting this topic because I just finished Spiritfairer (amazing game by the way) and I checked and I guess I'm 2 achievements short of 100% completion. 1 I just missed and the other was kinda unfair because it was based on a choice and there was an achievement for each choice so you would have to play it twice no matter what.

Anyway my question is would you replay the game just to grab those two achievements? Or would you just say "oh well great game" and just leave it at that? Also would you play a game you didn't like just for the gamerscore/trophies?

I will deliberately get some to annoy @9 to 5 but I've stopped really using them as anything other than a general guide on things to do. Some of them are just deliberately annoying.

If it's as per your example and I've played through and just missed a couple i might just look how easy they are to do. If i have to play 70% of the game again to make the choice for the second trophy then I'm probably not doing it.

I definitely don't play games I'm not enjoying for them.

It depends on the game and the nature of them. All the trophies in Elden Ring have substance so I was interested in getting them all - and currently just lack the trophies for seeing the different endings. But a lot of games made their trophies either unnecessarily hard to get or tedious collectathons. And I don't care about those since that's not really playing a game, it's doing a job.

I never really have been. There are so many games out there and so little time to play them that I just can't be bothered with achievements. As long as I get through the story and get that to 100% then I feel like I've done enough to have warranted the purchase.

Now maybe when I'm 60 and retired with not a lot to do, I'll focus on those trophies but I feel like my reaction times will be even worse than they are already so I'll just play mobas like everyone else. <_< 

My first exposure to them was when they were introduced to World of Warcraft, and honestly -- I cannot still care about achievements and whatnot because I really never did. The only time I can be bothered to do them is when there's some kind of bullcrap reward tied to doing it, and really only if it's a reward that has actual utility as opposed to something cosmetic. I don't need bragging rights, I played video games for years before they were a thing. 

Besides, they don't give an achievement for beating Super Metroid using an ergonomic keyboard :shifty: . 

If I absolutely love the feel of a game and want an excuse to keep playing it I'll go for trophies. I did that for Spider-Man on PS4 last year. Otherwise I'll go "oh that's cool!" when they pop up but pretty much leave it at that.

I like ones that have actual interesting actions behind them, like the Half Life 2 one for carrying a gnome through the entire game to the final area location, but other than ones where I'm close to completion anyway I don't bother. I don't mind them at all but I dislike ones that are just sheer busy work like playing so many hours or completing so many online matches etc.

I absolutely care about them until they become too difficult, and then I immediately stop caring. 😝

This can be a bit self-defeating. For example, while the obvious thing is to mop up trophies in post-game or a second playthrough, I will want to be as perfect/efficient as possible right from the off. This leads me quite often to get frustrated and put a game back on the shelf "to come back to later" while I'm barely 20% into it.

But then, this "must be perfect immediately" issue pervades most of my life so it's not like video games should be any different to me.

• Like 1

Achievements are a possible guide to fun things to do in a game that I might not have thought of otherwise, I think they can be great for that reason. If something is unfair or too hard to go back and get I don't really bother. I don't really begrudge people who want to 100% things either. I think that getting everything out of a game - especially if you can't buy a ton of them is a good way to do things.

Never did, but when I get one on Xbox I’m at least interested in reading what it was for.  Never bother looking into PlayStation trophies.

I've been using them to motivate me in getting through my massive backlog of PS3/4 games. Not too fussed about the fact that many platinum trophies are unattainable due to online servers being switched off. Some of them are a bit too much effort for no real reward, also. Basically, if I don't achieve it through a normal playthrough, and it isn't something you can complete within a single session of focusing on getting it, I tend not to bother.

Fallout: New Vegas is proving especially clunky to play right now, so I've been stuck on that for most of 2022...