Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

31 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Klopp has the whole aura for TV, that's for sure.

Maybe he's eyeing up the Klinsmann role of reasonably well-liked/sympathetic to English tendencies studio pundit.

5 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

Congratulations Liverpool fans - because Steven Gerrard was unwilling to wait just two more seasons at Rangers, you're spared the spectre of a mass media campaign to get him the Liverpool job.

It's a bloody relief that he's turned out to be rubbish.

Otherwise, it'd be all very Souness.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dang117 said:

Even as a United fan Klopp is a manager any club would be lucky to have. Shame he's going. Is it too soon for Alonso? He's doing really well with Leverkusen so might not even risk it at this moment 

I have to say if Alonso wins the Bundesliga with them this year it'll be somewhat of a "mission accomplished" moment and he'll likely entertain offers from bigger clubs.

2 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

There's a weird tone in the video. Not to speculate but it feels potentially a health related matter? 'I'm running out of energy.... I will have to announce it at some point' is a quote to take note of

He said "I am healthy" in the video, I'd say to dispel any notion of this. I reckon he's just burnt out, he has won literally all there is to win at Liverpool and now facing another rebuild (which he's made a great start of) probably with Salah going in the next year or two, he doesn't feel up to leading it 

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Thinking of who's next - Liverpool surely have to make a run at Xabi Alonso.

Makes all the sense in the world. The timing couldn't really be better, he's hit the ground running as a top level manager, is a club legend and will pull off an unbelievable achievement this season if he leads Leverkusen to the Bundesliga title ahead of Bayern.

Beyond Alonso, I'm struggling to see who the obvious candidates are.

Is anyone really going to risk Mourinho again?

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

It's really surprising in one way but; he's in his 60s, he's a grandfather, and he cut short a break to manage Liverpool initially 9 years ago.

I read this, found it surprising but wrote it off as "fair play, he's looking good for it", but no he isn't!

I highly doubt ex Chelsea and Man United manager Jose Mourinho would accepted by the fans. Not to mention his football is completely against what Liverpool fans would want from the team. Alonso seems the obvious candidate, beyond him though, I do agree it's hard to see who else fits the bill.

The term irreplacable fits.

Edited by The Radical Moongoose

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Optimistically speaking, I'd hope it was already known internally for a while (and it seems he told FSG in November of his intentions) and wouldn't make a difference. But of course, if it doesn't end up happening it'll painted as because of Jurgen leaving.

It's really surprising in one way but; he's in his 60s, he's a grandfather, and he cut short a break to manage Liverpool initially 9 years ago.

Comparably Shankley-esque in terms of his impact on the club. I'm kinda nervous as to who follows him.

He's actually still only 56

Should let Klopp suplex Paul Tierney in the centre circle on the final game of the season. Be the only fitting way for it to end

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Is anyone really going to risk Mourinho again?

I read this, found it surprising but wrote it off as "fair play, he's looking good for it", but no he isn't!

1 hour ago, Szumi said:

He's actually still only 56

Yeah, I since realized I had somehow convinced myself he was older.

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

I am sad we’ll miss the Gerrard at Liverpool trainwreck era though, that would have been fun.

Al-Ettifaq or nothing I'm afraid.