Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

I was worried about a new type, but I've come around. I trust that they wouldn't just throw something like that in and have put a lot of thought into it. Plus, it's a lot better than the Sound/Light types that people were going on about.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I haven't played Pokemon since forever (like since Red/Blue/Yellow), but I've had an urge to play recently. What would people suggest as the most enjoyable games in the series? I've read that Gold/Silver/Crystal are generally considered the best but having never played beyond Generation 1 I have no idea. Help!

Play Fire Red. It's fucking sweet. Probably my favorite

In other news, I just got an R4 card, so hopefully I'll finally play Heart Gold and Black and White 1 & 2 soon.

I remember really not enjoying Diamond and Pearl, is there any reason to really go back to that? I think part of it was my raising expectations but I also remember getting really lost. Also is there any way to trade with an R4 card?

So I haven't played Pokemon since forever (like since Red/Blue/Yellow), but I've had an urge to play recently. What would people suggest as the most enjoyable games in the series? I've read that Gold/Silver/Crystal are generally considered the best but having never played beyond Generation 1 I have no idea. Help!

You've read right. Play one of those or one of the remakes(Heartgold or SoulSilver).

• 3 weeks later...

Today's batch of new information:

- Xerneas is Fairy-type, Yveltal is Dark/Flying. Their abilities power up Fairy-type and Dark-type moves respectively.

- Pancham's evolution is Dark/Fighting and evolves in a new method.

- Squid Pokemon, Maika and Karamanero, both Dark/Psychic which is pretty cool. One of them has a move that reverses stat changes.

- Pink bird that's a fairy type exclusive to Y, Shushup. A pink fluffball thing that's a fairy type exclusive to X, Peroppafu

- Clauncher is exclusive to X, Skrelp is exclusive to Y.

- The Professor will battle you

- The new group are called Team Flair/Flare, their entire goal is to make money and that's it. They look positively ridiculous and awesome as such.

Apparently, next month's CoroCoro has the "scoop of the century". Interesting.

Any way of trading Pokemon with yourself? I've got my R4 card and kind of want to complete the Pokedex on Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Is there any way to do that using the online trading stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Spoilered for being longer than the media coverage of the royal baby:

h2F8B7D4D.png

• Like 2

Just had the best online battle I think I've ever had. Possibly one of the best battles I've had in a Pokemon game full stop.

On a whim, I decided to compete in the last Black 2/White 2 online tournament (the reward for playing 5 matches is you get to be in the first X & Y tournament, which seemed a fun idea). I'm pretty much just using three Pokemon: Venomoth, Starmie & Haxorus and following a simple game plan.

Venomoth opens with Sleep Powder; if it misses, I'm in pretty bad straights, which is an issue. Venomoth then switches out to Haxorus, who uses Dragon Dance then tries to sweep with Outrage (he has a berry to cure Confusion if it sets in). If Haxorus goes down, then switch back to Venomoth, who'll try and Sleep Powder again, then Quiver Dance and Baton Pass out to Starmie, who uses Life Orb Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt to try and sweep.

Mostly the issue is that I'm playing against people who exclusively are using legendary Pokemon, which means I'm at a stat disadvantage almost from the off. I've had some close battles, but this last one saw my team against a Conkeldurr, Bisharp + Deoxys team. Venomoth hit Conkeldurr with Sleep Powder, but it woke up when Haxorus switched in and KO'd him with Rock Slide & Low Kick. At this point I'm thinking I'm in trouble, but I got lucky second time and Quiver Dance > Baton Pass to Starmie came off with it only managing to Rock Slide once, so Starmie's health was still good. Surf OHKO'd both Conkeldurr and Bisharp then, but Deoxys survived with about 10% health left. It then used Psychic...and Starmie, even after three Life Orb attacks, managed to survive with 11HP. One more Surf and Deoxys was down. Rather damn pleased.

Only thing I might swap next time would be to put a Focus Sash on Haxorus, since it would probably guarantee being able to KO one with Dragon Dance Outrage.

• Like 1

Is Emerald worth playing? I like the look of the dude on the front.

I like Emerald, and if you're looking for a region different to the one in Blue, then you can't go wrong with it. But in terms of post-game content, Fire Red/Leaf Green is way better in my opinion.