The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

Dead Rising seemed likely to be my third, I played it the other week and I had a helluva' lot of fun. Like I said on MSN, I partially think I already decided on GoW and am just worried because Halo has name value and will likely have more online players. I love my "shoot stuff to shit" kind of games so if "Gears..." is really that kind of thing I think my decision is almost certainly set unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Gears of War to be honest. It looks great, but it bored me. I only had it a few days on rental, but I played TopSpin more.

Halo is pretty good, the campaign mode is criminally short however. It has replayability in terms of the metagame and co-op and hunting for skulls, but that doesn't take too long really, I've not touched it since I finished it. Multiplayer is fun, but you do have to deal with a lot of fucking halokids, and they can be bloody irritating*. I still think the franchise as a whole is overrated, but multiplayer with a few mates in a party can be a blast. And rocket races are fantastic.

* Call of Duty has the edge of Halo in terms of general maturity, and I like the upgrading weapons through doing challenges and that, but it's tough to get going, because there's a lot of expert players, and the matchmaking doesn't seem to take experience or skill into account. I was also disappointed with the lack of character customisation too.

I have to have a fucking update on my X-Box to play Assassin's Creed? Wait a minute, what the fuck is going on here? Is this thing fucking serious?

Edit - Well I don't know, it's working now. I went with the update...though I don't know what it could have updated without being online.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Dead Rising seemed likely to be my third, I played it the other week and I had a helluva' lot of fun. Like I said on MSN, I partially think I already decided on GoW and am just worried because Halo has name value and will likely have more online players. I love my "shoot stuff to shit" kind of games so if "Gears..." is really that kind of thing I think my decision is almost certainly set unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I have to have a fucking update on my X-Box to play Assassin's Creed? Wait a minute, what the fuck is going on here? Is this thing fucking serious?

Edit - Well I don't know, it's working now. I went with the update...though I don't know what it could have updated without being online.

Games regularly get patches through XBL. There were a few glitches in AC, such as falling through the level, so the update was probably just a patch to fix bugs or whatever. I don't think you have to update to play, but well, why not? >_>

Well, now that it is working and all, I have to say that Assassin's Creed is fun. I played it briefly and enjoyed what I've seen so far, combat looks to be a bit skimpy, but it doesn't hinder the game for me either. I also rented Mass Effect and that has been pretty cool thus far as well. They are the first new games I have played in ages, and I'm glad to see that both were worth the effort.

Despite the fact it had about 18 posts on the 31st regarding games and the console itself? It's barely past midday in america and it's just about entering prime gaming time for us in the UK and some of europe (especially since I'm sure a lot of people work the Saturday shift). Instead of posting "this is dead now" how about posting something constructive that can be discussed?

Speaking of which, when I get my X-Box with GTA, I need to decide what games to get with it, I usually get a trio of games and since GTA will be one, what do you all suggest as the other two? I tend to enjoy RPG's and 'adventure' games, and whilst I do like FPS' I'm not that great at them so I'd rather not have more than one, which means do I get GoW or do I get Halo 3? From what I gather once you've played one Halo you've played them all, but it IS the franchise player of the console.

Bah, I have to send my replacement 360 in sometime for a repair I think. The little bastard turns on fine and all, but anytime you put in a disc, even a brand new one, it makes a bunch of scratchy noise before it loads up. Which of course scratches the disc, and that's just fucking lovely. Nothing huge mind you, but enough little scratches to cause it to load slower, which in turn allows more time for the scratchy noise to work.

No matter though, I'll send it off once I buy a new 360 later on with my refund money and sell my old one to my roomate. Still, it's going to cut into my funds to buffer my discs every few days...

Edited by Ekin Jones

My/Ad's Madden was throwing a bitchfit today too, crashing for no apparent reason, and taking ages to load menu screens. Lost two drafts (and subsequently did worse the following times) and a bunch of player edits - like I'm going to let some scrub rookie wear 51 or 34!

I really hope Franchise gets fixed for 09. The stats are bugged (e.g. double INTs). AI-controlled depth charts are a mess - heading into my fourth season, the Raiders have five quarterbacks, all of whom were drafted this offseason. New England has 6, the Vikings have 3 that were all drafted this season and I'm sure there's another team with 5 or 6. Meanwhile, Baltimore have no ROLBs and won't accept a trade for one. And I can't sign some free agents because I'm told I'd go over the cap, which is blatantly untrue. And IR is completely useless, as it doesn't free up a roster spot. That commentator has to go to, I miss Madden and Michaels, and that's saying something, considering we've heard the same recycled junk from those two since 03.

Supposedly, they had a three year plan for getting the gameplay up to standard on the next-gen consoles (06-08), and starting this year, they're going to ramp up the presentation. I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, another complaint about Franchise, Front Office Mode is not a mode, it is a bunch of graphs that are completely meaningless. And scouting doesn't even fucking work, it has no effect or bearing on anything whatsoever.

Madden should be pretty good this year, even though I think that it should be good every year. If they can improve the presentation just a bit and if they fix all of the little glitches and bugs in the game, then it'll definitely be a great game. I'm looking for this year's game to simply be more polished rather than having a bunch of new features.

I can do without new features, but they do need to revamp Franchise. And if they insist on making training a big part of it, we'll need more minigames, and minigames that actually make sense per position. And the ability to improve any stat, not just the weapon stuff.

I actually don't think it's a bad game, other than the inhuman coverage skills and camera angles, it's just annoying that just a bit more care and attention to detail would push the game over the edge and we'd have the greatest football sim ever.

Oh, and there is absolutely no excuse for uniform inaccuracies when you have the exclusive NFL license.

Gamertag: CQI13 (creative I know). I'm usually on after 6pm on weekdays and varies during the weekend. Always looking for someone to beat me in Madden or FIFA...

As for the Madden commentary:

Would it be too difficult to have local guys do the commentary for their respective teams?

Edited by CQI13

King Ellis says:

if only

you need to post about it, rally the stragglers

llike kaney and oldskool

This is rallying, you fags. Saints Row soon. HOW SOON? I DON'T KNOW BILLY.