What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Warrior.

It was pretty good. Not as good as The Fighter, but I enjoyed it plenty. Nolte was great and Edgarton was pretty good too! Surprisingly Tom Hardy didn't really wow me all that much.

Thought the movie was great. It didn't look at all like it was gonna be good, and surprised the shit out of me. Definitely the performance to look at was Nick Nolte. He deserves so much more commendation for that role.

Warrior.

It was pretty good. Not as good as The Fighter, but I enjoyed it plenty. Nolte was great and Edgarton was pretty good too! Surprisingly Tom Hardy didn't really wow me all that much.

Thought the movie was great. It didn't look at all like it was gonna be good, and surprised the shit out of me. Definitely the performance to look at was Nick Nolte. He deserves so much more commendation for that role.

Yeah, I probably could have worded this better. I thought it was great, I just thought The Fighter was amazing. And yeah, Nolte completely took me by surprise. Really a fantastic showing, it was pretty heartbreaking at times. Kurt Angle playing a world famous Russian fighter also made me chuckle.

Why didn't they make Mulholland Drive into a series? That would've been amazing. :crying:

Watching Inland Empire for the first time tomorrow, then I'll rank all of Lynch's films.

Even though it's heralded on the Internet as the greatest thing ever, I didn't think much of The Straight Story at all. Hokey cod-Oscar bait.

Inland Empire is... Just... I don't know. It's what people who have never seen a David Lynch film think a David Lynch film is: something that jumps off the deep end before it begins, gets out of the water to dry itself off, then jumps back in again. It's an interesting film I'll think about for days to come but I didn't especially enjoy it. And I'll be buggered if I ever watch it again.

13 Game of Death

Pretty fucked up. I've never seen someone eat shit in a movie that wasn't directed by John Waters.

Series 7: The Contenders

Was worried this one wouldn't have aged well ten years later, but just as good as I remembered. The added bonus of now knowing Will Arnett is the narrator makes it even better.

Danger 5 was amazing. Can't wait for the full series.

Been watching Dragon Ball currently. What a fucking fun show.

EDIT: They sit down to eat, Launch says "Let's say our grace first." Everyone says "Our grace first" and chows down.

We watched The Lorax tonight. I didn't hate it, but fuck you, Dreamworks.

You helped make it the number one movie in America. I might have seen it had the horrible cross promotional ads not irritated me so much I said fuck you, Dreamworks.

We watched The Lorax tonight. I didn't hate it, but fuck you, Dreamworks.

You helped make it the number one movie in America. I might have seen it had the horrible cross promotional ads not irritated me so much I said fuck you, Dreamworks.

Dude, it was going to be the #1 movie in America with or without my contribution.

I mean, it wasn't bad. I am just about the biggest Dr. Seuss fan you'll find anywhere, especially now that I'm a student of language and can appreciate that he was so damn good at what he did. The story is there, and it's still endearing, but it's buried under layers of shit I normally wouldn't touch with a ten-foot clown pole. I was talking to my wife about this, and the thing that differentiates Dreamworks from Pixar (and the Aardman Animation guys) is that Pixar and Aardman generate emotions by virtue of creating characters whom the audience likes and understands. Look at WALL-E; they manage to create a timeless, endearing character by putting us with him, alone, for nearly an hour. With no dialogue. By comparison, Dreamworks gets laughs from lousy slapstick and references to shit music and Mission Impossible and oh yeah having cartoon people dance to old disco because that is fucking hilarious.

The parts where it felt like Dr. Seuss (basically everything in the "flashback" bits in the middle that were straight from the book) were generally good to great. Everything surrounding it was awful.

Didn't The Lorax have something like the most promotional tie-ins of any modern movie? I swear I heard that on the Daily Show or something.

It may well have. I will say that it makes your big environmental fable about embracing nature and rejecting a false, plastic existence when your whole fucking movie looks like it's available now at Toys R Us.

Looking at you, That One Doe-Eyed Brown Barbaloot That Shows Up In Like Every Scene.

P.S. They did not call them Brown Barbaloots in their Barbaloot Suits ever and that irritated the shit out of me they are not bears guys come the fuck on.

Josie and the Pussycats

My wife found it at Walmart tonight and you would've thought she had seen a white bengal tiger in the wild. I'm thinking, "Really? This totally tanked and looked really dumb."

Based on the little I remember from 2001, it may have had the worst ad campaign for a movie, ever. Turns out, it's actually really cute, witty and waaaaaay ahead of its time. I'm sure I'm way behind on this, but I had no idea the movie was about what it was about, let alone the fact that it's really fun. Pleasantly surprised.