What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Saw Underworld Awakening on Thursday and was surprised with how much I ended up enjoying it. The story is nothing special or memorable, but the action scenes were great and were non stop through out. Only problems I had with it, was the lack of Michael and that when it ended, nothing really changed, rendering this one kind of pointless. But if you enjoyed the previous three Underworld's I would think that you would enjoy this one. Better than the second, but not as good as the first or third one.

Just watched the Smash pilot for the 2nd time, I know it's getting slack as cashing in on the Glee train, but it's miles ahead of Glee IMO. Being more reality based with lots of good characters to go for, plus using actual Broadway choreography/singers/composers make me geek out quite a bit since I enjoy musicals. Definitely going to be a show I keep up with this season.

Watched Moneyball and wasn't a fan. Jonah Hill was the only character worth a damn. Brad Pitt had a few enjoyable scenes, but the entire movie was full of undeveloped characters and relationships, unexplored avenues, wasted film and muted dramatics. Maybe I'll feel differently about it later in the day when things have soaked in more, but on first impression, it's lucky it came out in the disappointing year of 2011 rather than going up against juggernauts from 2010.

It was no Major Leauge

Paranormal Activity 3

Watched on Blu-ray tonight, nice that all the scenes from the trailers that were cut in theaters were added back in. I also think it was a brilliant move to cut them in the first place, I hate when all the best scares are given away in the trailer. I still say it's the best movie of the series even if the scares aren't quite up there with one. The characters are rounded out better though (especially for a horror movie) and everyone's incredibly likable. Can't wait for 4.

I can't wait for Parnormal Activity 8: The Activitying.

It will be better than Paranormal Activity 7: The Paranormaling Paranormaler

That one is just going to be a crass money grab.

On a side note, watched it on BR this morning and yeah I loved this one too. I kept waiting for a fucked up bit of continuity, especially in regards to late 80's clothes and design, but for the most part they nailed it without being way OTT (I'm looking at you Take Me Home Tonight and Wedding Singer), with the exception of the babysitter character's dress. "Hey look at me I dress like Madonna to watch little kids and study". It had a few really good scares, but like Zero said there were far less of them, which I was actually 100% okay with. At this point the half of the scariness and creepy factor comes from the build and waiting to be scared and creeped out. Far better than the second one, which while I liked it felt like a massive let down from the first, and almost on par with the original. I wonder how far back into the past they can go with the fourth one now, or would it be better to try to another sideways sort of film. I also liked the fact that they went with relative unknowns again, as it works much better than using actors I have seen in half a dozen TV shows and movies (Sprague Grayden).

Watched Moneyball and wasn't a fan. Jonah Hill was the only character worth a damn. Brad Pitt had a few enjoyable scenes, but the entire movie was full of undeveloped characters and relationships, unexplored avenues, wasted film and muted dramatics. Maybe I'll feel differently about it later in the day when things have soaked in more, but on first impression, it's lucky it came out in the disappointing year of 2011 rather than going up against juggernauts from 2010.

It was no Major Leauge

I saw it last night and loved it. Jonah Hill gave a very good performance and despite not quite agreeing with his Supporting Actor Oscar nod I do kind of understand it.

Watched The Ides Of March as well. Man I wanted to like it so much, I just didn't. It wasn't so much bad as just kind of there. Ryan Gosling is such a great actor, but you sure as hell couldn't tell it from this. George Clooney also gave a less than inspired performance. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was all over it though, much better than he was in Moneyball, and despite their small appearances Marissa Tomei and Paul Giamatti were great. I might be alone on this, but I simply do not like Evan Rachel Wood. I watched a special feature where they explained why the changed the script from the play Farragut North and, well, they shouldn't have.

• Like 1

I though it was pretty good but perhaps less so than it should've been given the talent around it. I wouldn't say it was bad by any means (and I don't really get the Gosling not showing he's a good actor in it thing) but it's nowhere near as good as it could, or really should, be. And I quite enjoy Evan Rachel Wood but she was fairly nondescript in that role.

Paranormal Activity: The Chronology

Continued my obsession with this franchise by watching the 4.5 hour digital download of all three movies placed in their proper chronological order. A few new scenes that aren't on the DVDs and very cool to watch all three films like this. I like 2 better with repeated viewings, 3 still scared me even though I just watched it Friday and 1 is still a masterpiece.

I watched Tape last night. Imagine the relationship between House and Wilson, but House is played by Ethan Hawke and Wilson is still Robert Sean Leonard. I thought it was a good movie to watch alone, but not something that would be great for a party.

I quite like that film, can't say I've been tempted to watch it again though. Leonard shines though.

The newest Fright Night was okay, but nowhere near as good as the original. It was missing some of the best scenes from the original. For example, they totally cut out the part of when Danridge talks Ed into joining him. Instead, Danridge took Ed against his will. Not bad though, I didn't feel like I wasted my time.

Edited by hot rod

I though it was pretty good but perhaps less so than it should've been given the talent around it. I wouldn't say it was bad by any means (and I don't really get the Gosling not showing he's a good actor in it thing) but it's nowhere near as good as it could, or really should, be. And I quite enjoy Evan Rachel Wood but she was fairly nondescript in that role.

He was just there, rarely did I feel for him or worry for him or wonder if he was going to overcome anything. He was an emotional void (for me) so far as the film went. I want to blame that on Gosling's performance, but in retrospect maybe that was down to Clooney's direction or the script, as I suddenly realize I didn't really feel for anyone in the movie at all.

I watched Abduction yesterday and dear god that was shit. Alfred Molina, Sigourney Weaver, Maria Bello, and Jason Isaacs, all of whom are great and I almost always enjoy, could not save this shit movie from itself and the absolutely terrible one note job Taylor Lautner did. I was expecting a relatively idiotic script, and I got one, but I really thought Lautner would, you know, act. Instead he brooded and frowned and cried a lot, with a touch of smiling and some of the most unbelievable fighting scenes ever. I love it when movies shoehorn nonsense scenes into the early part of the movie that you know are simply there to "foreshadow" their inevitable inclusion in the final act, but man this film did it with like 10 different things. What saddened me the most was seeing the special feature where everyone, including John fucking Singleton, jizzing all over Lautner's face for 15 minutes about how he is the greatest young actor/newest action star. Actually, looking back on it that was Oscar worthy performances from them all. So to sum up, Fuck you John Singleton for putting your name on this piece of shit, and fuck you Taylor Lautner for somehow being a worse actor than Robert Pattinson. And okay, fuck you TGC for sitting through the whole movie and then the 3 special features you watched after too. Man I must have been into self torture yesterday.

Watched Killer Elite and I quite liked it. I'm a huge Statham fan anyways, but this was one of his better movies I thought. Add in Clive Owen, Robert DeNiro, and Linc from Prison Break, and the cast was excellent. Can't say it's the greatest thing ever, but it was an enjoyable two hours.