The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Hey guys sorry if someone mentioned this before but for some strange reason my ps3 keeps shutting down when I play the two games I got yesterday.The two games are Uncharted 3 and MW3. I've been looking online and there are people with the same problem but the mods don't seem to be responding. Those are the only two games that my PS3 shuts down on. I have a 60 GB system and at first I thought it was the YLOD but I can play my other games just fine. Has anybody else had this problem and fixed it?

Edited by SilentHitman

Does your system have good clean ventilation?

If you have it sitting on carpet or inside an entertainment system that's enclosed they can do that. My old phat would sound like a turbo jet when playing Uncharted 2, they shut off automatically to avoid damage to the system.

I'll admit the spot I normally had it in didnt give it much space but when the problems started to occur I moved it and cleaned it. The fan is quieter and the system isn't as hot but Uncharted would turn off even quicker. It went from shutting off an hour in to shutting off 5 minutes in. Then I tried out MW3 for the first time and it shut off an hour in as well. I'm not sure whats going on. :(

Edited by SilentHitman

I'll admit the spot I normally had it in didnt give it much space but when the problems started to occur I moved it and cleaned it. The fan is quieter and the system isn't as hot but Uncharted would turn off even quicker. It went from shutting off an hour in to shutting off 5 minutes in. Then I tried out MW3 for the first time and it shut off an hour in as well. I'm not sure whats going on. :(

Unfortunately it sounds like you're heading in the direction of YLOD. As I said in my previous post I had the same issue with my fat PS3, it cleared up for a while but finally crapped on me a few months ago so I ended up getting a slim.

The only thing I can recommend is make sure you keep it in a properly ventilated area make sure all of your exhaust vents are dust free, I'm assuming we're talking about a fat here so you're most likely outside of warranty but if you still are in your warranty period get it back to Sony for repair. If you're outside of your warranty period check Craigslist for someone local. The YLOD repair is a common fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news keeps on coming for Vita:

Due out in February, the PlayStation Vita starts at $250, but those who would like to be able to save their games will need a proprietary memory card that isn't included with the device. Unlike Sony's last handheld, the PSP — which accepted relatively cheap run-of-the-mill memory sticks, the Vita demands special memory sticks that range from $20 to $100.

Kotaku relays Sony's pricing for the device's accessories, noting that the Vita memory sticks are less expensive than what was expected, compared to Japanese pricing. Players will be able to buy Vita games in downloadable and boxed forms, but downloadable games and some of the retail titles will require the memory stick to save progress.

Those who run out and buy the Vita who aren't aware of the requirement will probably find themselves doubling back to the store unless they plan on playing games to their completion in one sitting. Which won't be easy to do, given that the device reportedly has a three-hour battery life.

Theres an article that was written that has the pricing of the cards about 1/2 of what was originally reported. I think the 8 gig one was like 29 bucks or so, but I can't quite remember.

Personally I think just getting a 4gig one and playing your games until the proces on the cards drop (which they will, of course) would be a wise idea. Only cost 20 bucks.

Personally I think just getting a 4gig one and playing your games until the proces on the cards drop (which they will, of course) would be a wise idea. Only cost 20 bucks.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a price drop. All the bullshit gaming expenses: controllers, the 360's hard drive, etc. never seem to come down in price. I think it's more likely that Sony will allow for generic memory stick usage, if it's physically possible. Ya know, like you've been able to on the PSP for the last seven years.

Nah, the proprietary card is apparently a move to combat piracy. If there's only one type of card available, it's a lot easier to shut down any potential exploits. Price drop's more likely, not from Sony, but retailers, if not as a straight cut, then some sort of offer with software or something.

So there's no shot of this getting release as a generic brand for absolutely nothing?

Story of the day is relatable to this. I went out looking for an HDMI cable for my new TV today, I stopped at Best Buy since it's close and I was checking prices. I found a 6' Sony HDMI cable for $20. Seemed a little steep but it's a Sony product so I let it slide. Other HDMI cables were even more. Before I left the store a guy saw it in my hand and told me Five Below sells the same product for, you guessed it, $5. I had to go to 2 stores since they sell out fast because it's such a good deal but I saved $15 today. Thank goodness.

memory is usually the one thing that grows with time, so I can see a price drop for sure. I dunno about the 360 drives, but you could put a normal drive into the sony and they get cheaper as the size went up, same with the psp over time.

I think demand to have them lowered and the retaliation for having it somewhat pricey at the start will drive them down.

Battlefield 3 is cheap enough in Gamestop, yay or nay on the whole?

Hell yea on the whole.

Nay for singleplayer. Yay for multiplayer.

I found the singleplayer to be a damn good experience, it wasn't as adrenaline filled as MW3 but the gritty presentation and engaging plot kept me interested long enough to take me away from the multiplayer for a few hours each day. Multiplayer is ace, I've always loved Battlefield and COD but they've each drawn the line pretty clear on what type of experience they want to provide.

With Battlefield you're going to have a lot of fun being able to find a niche in some class and actually feeling like you're contributing to your team even if you have a .20 K/D ratio whereas in COD I get frustrated because if I'm not killing someone there's really no other way I can gain XP outside of the objective based gametypes.

Not to turn this into a COD vs Battlefield post but it's an inevitable discussion anytime you bring one or the other up.