The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I got Spiderman (along with a bunch of other games) for Christmas. I'm still early on but it's fun just swinging around getting the collectables. I tend to grab the backpacks and locations on my way to the next mission.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2018 at 23:59, Ruki said:

I got Spiderman (along with a bunch of other games) for Christmas. I'm still early on but it's fun just swinging around getting the collectables. I tend to grab the backpacks and locations on my way to the next mission.

By accident I've already gotten all the towers, backpacks (rocking that suit now) and bases. Oops.

• Like 2

I've been splitting my time between Chapter 2/3 of Life is Strange: Before The Storm (which as, before, tugs at my teenage emo heart) and We Happy Few.

I'm enjoying We Happy Few. It's quite generic in its gameplay but I like the graphical style (which is good as it hides major graphical shortcomings compared to current AAA titles) and I think the story and feel are tremendous. Little nuggets of the past are being fed to you (I'm just sneaking around in the camp of all the old army guys with their bayonets) and, to be honest, it's not surprising the population went onto the Joy.

On 31/12/2018 at 01:45, Ruki said:

By accident I've already gotten all the towers, backpacks (rocking that suit now) and bases. Oops.

I just finished act 1! As well as all the cats, pigeons, and science labs... Why are the collectables so fun in this?

Also... Do I need the dlc for the platinum?

5 hours ago, Ruki said:

Also... Do I need the dlc for the platinum?

Na, the DLC is under a separate title under the trophies menu, so while it does have trophies, you don't need them to get the platinum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen said:

Na, the DLC is under a separate title under the trophies menu, so while it does have trophies, you don't need them to get the platinum.

Cool. I might go for it then, since it doesn't seem too crazy?

The Last Remnant was always one of those games that I was kind of fascinated by, but never actually played because they said it was real bad.  I'm hearing the remaster is much less bad and its only $20 so I think I'll dive in.  Although the last thing I need right now is another game.

26 minutes ago, Maxx said:

The Last Remnant was always one of those games that I was kind of fascinated by, but never actually played because they said it was real bad.  I'm hearing the remaster is much less bad and its only $20 so I think I'll dive in.  Although the last thing I need right now is another game.

Oooo you've just reminded me that I wanted to buy that.

I also don't need another game, tbf.

Is a PS4 Pro worth it? I've been weighing up finally getting a PS4 for a while (I've almost cleared my PS3 backlog!) but having just got a 4K TV will I even notice the difference? Is it just the resolution difference or is there anything else? 

I think some games also get a slight frame rate boost. As far as I know, it's a fair purchase if you can afford the extra expense, but it really doesn't do anything crucial the stock PS4 doesn't already. For example, no PS4 models play UHD Blu-Rays, whereas the considerably cheaper Xbox One S does.

If you can afford it I'd recommend the Pro. The difference isn't massive but it is significant enough that when the wife and I play she wants to use the Pro because of the graphics and the fact it loads a little bit faster. 

I've had my original PS4 since launch, and I've said since the Pro came out that I'd upgrade if mine broke down, but wouldn't bother otherwise. Now that we're even closer to the next generation it seems like an even smarter move. Just hoping my console holds out for that long. Haven't had a single issue with it yet, either.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JeReindeer said:

I'm at that point now where my console feels a bit long in the tooth and I don't know whether to get a pro or just wait it out. Hope they sort some sort of announcement soon.

My guess is that the next consoles will launch at the end of next year. Sony's missing E3 this year, and I'd have thought that they'd be everywhere they could if they were releasing a new system this year, but they've also said that we're approaching the end of this console generation.