The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Or he could buy it now and enjoy it for the price of an evening at the cinema?

I see new movies in the theater for $5, so that comparison is way off for me. Even an evening show at the newer, fancier theaters is only $12.
  • Like 1

Last time I went to the cinema it was £10 for two tickets on a deal (usually about £16 for two), then £10 for food and drink. Which equals out to about $30. I'm pretty content to spend that much for a few hours of Metal Gear Solid, heck, I love the cinema but at least I get to keep the game and experience it as many times as I want for that one time cost.

That's all not keeping in mind parking, which ends up being about £6 for three hours, so in theory that's another $10.

On the Ground Zeros front, I can see the argument both ways, but in the end it comes down to how much you can justify spending £20 on a demo. I've got the expendable income that it's not really a concern and I like the franchise enough to warrant it. I can definitely see how a lot of people would say it's a waste of money, though.

But hey, I'm the guy that spent £15 on a beta key one time. For a game that was confirmed to enter open beta eventually.

You're getting hosed when it comes to theater experience. Pay for parking to go to the movies? Ridiculous I say!

But yeah, it's $30 for essentially a demo. We shouldn't be encouraging them with this idea.

Very few people could've got away with even this idea - Kojima is one of the few. And I kind of trust the reason he stated this was done for. I gladly paid the 30 dollars and I would do it again the next day. It's an amazing experience, for sure more than a demo and I'll gladly support the studio.

You're getting hosed when it comes to theater experience. Pay for parking to go to the movies? Ridiculous I say!

But yeah, it's $30 for essentially a demo. We shouldn't be encouraging them with this idea.

Have you played the game? I'm not really sure how you can make that call when you haven't put the money down.

I disagree. It's a slice of triple A for half the price. I've paid £20 for indie games that didn't provide much more content, but they tend to get a pass because they're not big releases. Ground Zeroes has been fairly up front about it was, it's not trying to trick anyone into thinking this is a full length Metal Gear game. Fuck, I spent £45 on Uncharted 3 and that was like 7 hours long. That I felt ripped of by.

• Like 1

It's interesting how reputation can make such a difference. If EA did something like this, they'd be swarmed with criticism and hounded by pretty much every media outlet around, whereas plenty of Metal Gear Solid fans have voiced concerns, but are still happy to put down the money for Ground Zeroes, anyway. If Valve employed a similar business model for the next Half-Life game, they'd probably get away with it more easily still.

The point about certain indie games is a good one, though, especially when you bring alphafunding and Steam's Early Access scheme into the equation. The alpha version of Uber Entertainment's Planetary Annihilation, for example, could be purchased through Steam at a price of $90, and for that price, customers received a jarringly unfinished product with only the flimsy promise of features that may or may not be added at a later date. A surprising number of people were willing to pay that much under the principle of "supporting the devs", a mission objective that seems to hold much more weight among consumers of indie games that those produced on larger budgets. Can you imagine the flak Activision, EA or Ubisoft would get if they charged that much money for a raw, bug-riddled build of Battlefield, Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed?

In the end, it's up to consumers what they spend their money on, and while I don't begrudge anyone the right to pay extra for a taster of a future release, I'd rather this business practice didn't become an industry standard. Next-gen game prices look as though they're probably going to remain higher than those of the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii era, and I've no doubt that some publishers and developers need little excuse to squeeze extra money out of their potential customers, so I'm hoping this is more of an isolated case than a precedent.

How much was that GT 5 prologue game on release?

I'd forgotten about that one. It was apparently $39.99 in the US, which seems insane to me. Then again, I'm not much of a racing sim fan, so I'm not part of the game's target audience. According to this article, it sold 4.81 million copies, so Sony, at least, probably won't begrudge Konami the right to adopt a similar approach with Metal Gear Solid V.

Man, the grind for gold on Diablo 3 is rough. Just saying I would buy a Bluetooth headset for the sole purpose of chatting with anyone who wanted to help me out. :shifty:

Though it has allowed me to discover some of the funnier gags regarding its items. For instance: my main-hand weapon for the longest time was The Ancient Bonesaber of Zumakalis, an Aqua Teen Hunger Force reference. One of my current rings is called Unity. The description talks about it being "good for leaving an imprint on someone's head", a reference to Chappelle's Show.

D3 has spoiled me in regards to going back and getting trophies, though. Stick of Truth doesn't allow you to go back to previous battles/missions unless you save separately beforehand. Boo-urns.

How much was that GT 5 prologue game on release?

I'd forgotten about that one. It was apparently $39.99 in the US, which seems insane to me. Then again, I'm not much of a racing sim fan, so I'm not part of the game's target audience. According to this article, it sold 4.81 million copies, so Sony, at least, probably won't begrudge Konami the right to adopt a similar approach with Metal Gear Solid V.

£19.99 if I remember correctly. Or £24.99 otherwise. I was working at Gamestation at the time when it came out. PS3 was still pretty new so any game under full price was guaranteed to be a big seller.

EU PS+ games coming on April 2nd:

PS4 - Mercenary Kings

PS3 - Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

PS3 - Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

VITA - Hotline Miami

VITA - MotoGP 2013

Hotline Miami and Sly Cooper are listed as cross buy so you should be able to get them on both PS3 and VITA, maybe even PS4 in the case of HM since I think it's out or due out on there soon.

There seems to have been more crossover between the Americas and EU lists as of late, so I imagine Mercernary Kings will be what you get too. Got a sort of Metal Slug vibe going on so it looks like it could be fun. PES would have been better for me last year when I sold FIFA off early but Sly Cooper is something I've always meant to look into so having that is cool.