The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

12 minutes ago, RPS said:

I have been playinhmg Breath of the Wild. All my previous thoughts on this game were wrong. It is probably the greatest game I have ever played.

For a while I was really on board with Call of the Wild, then some of the temples got really frustrating. I need to get back into it.

6 minutes ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

I was watching someone on Twitch play that last night and it looked like something I would love to play. I've been putting off buying a Switch because there aren't a lot of titles that only come out for the Switch and no other console.

You won't regret it. The only thing I've played on my X-Box One is Red Dead Redemption 2, and before I got that for Christmas I hadn't played it in months. 

The biggest thing that interests me about it is that it's basically portable. It would give me something to play while sitting on the couch pretending to watch television with my wife. :shifty: I'm just not sure how much I would use it since I bought a DS about two years ago and barely use it.

13 minutes ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

The biggest thing that interests me about it is that it's basically portable. It would give me something to play while sitting on the couch pretending to watch television with my wife. :shifty: I'm just not sure how much I would use it since I bought a DS about two years ago and barely use it.

I have not played my PS4 since I bought my Switch a year and a half ago. It is the ideal way to game.

17 minutes ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

Do you have a flash cart for it? I love my 3DS

Nah, I don't have any of that. I just bought the 3DS, Final Fantasy IV and Ocarina Of Time.

I've decided I am going to get a switch but it's still probably a couple months away. Mario, Lets Go Pikachu, SSB and Zelda are worth it alone.

As much as I don't mind acquiring "back ups" of other entertainment, I tend to stay away from that when it comes to video games. I would much rather buy the physical game. There are tons of games that I want to get for the 3DS but I need to start playing it more to justify those purchases.

1 hour ago, iDOL said:

TIL Nintendo is still making games for the Wii! Just Dance 2019 was for sale for Wii at my local WalMart

Pretty sure Just Dance is the only series still releasing games for the console, but it's crazy that it's apparently still profitable enough for them to bother releasing on it.

20 hours ago, Owen said:

Pretty sure Just Dance is the only series still releasing games for the console, but it's crazy that it's apparently still profitable enough for them to bother releasing on it.

When I was running a game's store, it was painful how many people would come in and get Just Dance every year for the Wii. This was post Wii-U launch too. Or, Wii owners would come in looking for something new, find out that Nintendo wasn't making games for the Wii anymore, see the newest Just Dance on the shelf and buy it literally to spite us. "SEE! They still make games for it. Why should I buy a new machine?" ... as they came in looking for a racing game or fighting game or something, and leave with Just Dance simply because they needed to feel like their machine still had some worth to it.

Coincidentally, we used to get a ton of people trading in Just Dance (Wii) not long after purchasing it. <_<

On 19/01/2019 at 22:51, Owen said:

Just Dance 2018 for the Wii outsold every other version of Just Dance combined.

• Like 1

Just now, Ollie said:

Just Dance 2018 for the Wii outsold every other version of Just Dance combined.

God damn! I guess the Wii is still popular as a fitness thing? Which makes sense because Just Dance is a real active game, and obviously the console did a lot better than other similar products like the Kinect and Playstation Move.

The FIFA games tend to cling to old consoles for a long time. 14 was the one that came out on virtually every system from PS2 onwards, after which PS2 support was dropped. They still come out on PS3 and Xbox 360 now, though.

Looking back at FIFA's history, what stands out is FIFA 95. That was a Mega Drive exclusive for some reason, whereas all the others were on more or less any contemporary system you could wish for.

2 hours ago, King Ellis said:

Was it like Fifa 13 or 14 that came out on everything under the sun? Like PS2, 3 and 4, PSP, PSV, 3DS etc etc. 

Yep, FIFA 14 came out on PS2, 3, 4, PSP, Vita, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, 360, One, Windows, Android and Apple. Which is amazing.

Also I originally came in here earlier to talk about Smash Bros and how much I fucking adore it because I realize I hadn't actually gushed about it at all yet.

There's going to be a Nintendo Europe with an Indie focus tomorrow. Really hoping for a release date for Wargroove or maybe even a stealth drop for the game - since the developers were teasing that it would be playable 'sooner than you think' but that might be wishful thinking.