The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Kind of confused with the Let’s Go Pikachu/Lets Go Evie games... are they like the main games on the handhelds or are they heavily tied into Pokémon Go? Thinking about getting my wife her own Switch and one of the games (would be her first Pokémon experience) but I’m hesitant if it isn’t like the games I’ve played on the handhelds. Would there be any benefit to me getting Evie and her Pikachu? Could we trade Pokémon?

It has the catch mechanic from Pokemon Go, but battles are like normal. You can trade and battle with other users, and otherwise it's a remake of the first games. I find it massively refreshing and I hope some things (like visible Pokemon in the field) carry over from it. There are version specifics as well like normal.

A mainline game is coming next year.

• Like 2

I will add my friend code or whatever once I get everything updated and linked to my account. Need to try and remember my details, setup them up years ago on the 3DS and it's just stayed logged in ever since.

Hearing the little 'click' is oddly satisfying when connecting the Joycons!

EDIT: Friend code is SW-7299-5659-0193

• Like 2

Yeah I'd rather not do digital with this console given the limited space. I have Bayonetta 1 because it came with Bayo2 but unless there's something I really want that's digital only I'd rather get hard copies.

Can't you just put an SD Card in to expand the memory?

I mean, realistically, I want cartridges because I can trade them with my friends, it doesn't eat up bandwidth and if it turns out I won't play it anymore, I can always sell a physical game. But I'm pretty sure you can expand the memory on the switch with an SD card. I've had to make that concession because certain games are only getting digital releases, or they are impossible to find in my area. Like, seriously, I haven't seen Bomberman for Switch since the first month it came out.

I very much lean physical only but I think the way that Nintendo titles hold their value and the portable nature of the system has me in two minds about going digital. Like, when I got it I think there was a sale here in the UK that was just in it's last days. You had stuff like Mario Odyssey and DK Tropical Freeze for like £33. Those are still going for like £40 physical. Zelda is, what, a year and a half old at this point? Still like £45-50 physical.

I just hate not having a physical copy of a game I purchase. Fair enough if a game is digital only, I’ll deal, but I like collecting and trading - and if I’ve learned anything with the N64, the Nintendo only titles keep their worth many years later.

11 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I just hate not having a physical copy of a game I purchase. Fair enough if a game is digital only, I’ll deal, but I like collecting and trading - and if I’ve learned anything with the N64, the Nintendo only titles keep their worth many years later.

This is almost infuriating sometimes, haha. I bought a Nintendo 64, but I can't find an expansion pack so that I can save my progress on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater... so I'm thinking, okay, I'll just shelve that game until I stumble upon one... but I go to look at other games, and the cheapest Mario Kart I can find says that it's not guaranteed to work, but is still $50. So I look for Mario 64... cheapest copy in town? $75.

If I could go back in time to tell myself one thing, it's that I should never get rid of any of my nerd stuff... ever. I used to have comics that bottom out at $500 a pop in decent condition. I used to have video games that go online for $100 or more now. I used to have action figures that I see go on eBay for enormous amounts of money. It's insane how much money I threw away over the years because of how often I moved growing up.

8 hours ago, Gabriel said:

This is almost infuriating sometimes, haha. I bought a Nintendo 64, but I can't find an expansion pack so that I can save my progress on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater... so I'm thinking, okay, I'll just shelve that game until I stumble upon one... but I go to look at other games, and the cheapest Mario Kart I can find says that it's not guaranteed to work, but is still $50. So I look for Mario 64... cheapest copy in town? $75.

If I could go back in time to tell myself one thing, it's that I should never get rid of any of my nerd stuff... ever. I used to have comics that bottom out at $500 a pop in decent condition. I used to have video games that go online for $100 or more now. I used to have action figures that I see go on eBay for enormous amounts of money. It's insane how much money I threw away over the years because of how often I moved growing up.

Sold my entire n64 collection when I went to college and immediately regretted it. It’s taken a few years to get back what I had. And I still haven’t been able to get legit copies of the Mario games

8 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Yeah, I looked into a Mario Party from the 64 and it was like $60 at the cheapest. 

I hope they're planning on porting over Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 to the Switch as well. That's a series of games I could see myself sinking good time into in handheld mode. It was awesome to see the X-Men play a role in the trailer too.

• Like 1