The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Well, time to cancel Smash Brothers, nothing's gonna top that.

• 2 weeks later...

The first Hyrule Warriors was the first game I played for the Switch, primarily to get accustomed to the controller. The story mode was a good reason to keep going.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Golf Story on the Switch and it's a pretty fun little game. Hybrid classic RPG and golf game, the golf aspects are fairly simple (though I don't play many golf games so I don't have an idea of how it is vs, say, Tiger Woods Golf). It's got a lot of charm and pretty lighthearted in tone. You gain XP and money mostly through challenges, which can lead to the simple (make a basic shot in three tries) to the surprisingly difficult (complete a hole, but your approach has to come entirely from deep rough... in a hole with not a lot of it).

It's funny, I managed to beat the minigolf challenge in one go, but putting is arguably my weakest point in Golf Story. Most of my birdies are done by chip-ins. Managed to win the first tournament match with a -4, though I was hoping for more courseside antics.

@Bobfoc do you get XP for running courses a second time? Just trying to figure out if grinding is a thing.

And finished Golf Story. Really fun little 20-25+ hour romp. The sidequests seemed harder than the actual tournaments and match play moments though, the only tournament that gave me any trouble was the final one and even then I managed in my third go.

Though the last match challenge had an incredible moment when f'n Lara hit a Hole in One :O. I replied by getting a hole in one immediately after (my only Albatross at that!)

Come to think of it, I think Lara was the only one I never shut out. Everyone else was either 5-0-1, 5-0, or otherwise never got a point.

• Like 1