The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I remember 3D World being a solid Mario game that didn't really have a new hook to it in the way that Galaxy and later Odyssey did. That's not a problem and I enjoyed it a lot, but I feel as though you could have skipped it and not missed out on anything redefining.

It is interesting to think because I put it in a separate category as to Galaxy, Odyssey, 64, Sunshine, etc. Even though it is 3D, it is similar in nature to the 2D side scrolling Mario games. To me, it is the best iteration of the side scrolling Mario games (with the exception of Super Mario World) because of the ability to play coop. 

3 minutes ago, RPS said:

It is interesting to think because I put it in a separate category as to Galaxy, Odyssey, 64, Sunshine, etc. Even though it is 3D, it is similar in nature to the 2D side scrolling Mario games. To me, it is the best iteration of the side scrolling Mario games (with the exception of Super Mario World) because of the ability to play coop. 

That makes sense. Its design sensibilities are more akin to the 2D games than the more "open" ones. I like it a lot and am looking forward to playing it on Switch, but I don't think it's going to be remembered as much as the other games you mentioned, simply because it's largely a continuation of the formula. That's no bad thing, though.

This is a very trivial thing but I don't understand the cover for 3D World. Like, at the very top in the background it's almost like it's a transparency layer or something. When I first saw it I thought maybe it was like a slip case because they were also advertising a steel book with pre-orders so maybe there was some special design thing going on. But no, it's just that way and seems like it was that way on the Wii U version too. It's like someone during the design was meant to copy in a Mario background to finish the whole thing off but just forgot to do so.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

There's a full-fledged Nintendo Direct tomorrow, the first since September 2019. I'm more excited for this than I really ought to be.

Oh! I am gonna get my hopes up for an Octopath 2 announcement!

Trying Bowser's Fury, I like it, I just don't like that you have to hold a run button, while controlling the camera AND having to jump. It feels like too much. I was having some difficulty with some of the platforming, but that could be that I was just getting used to the controls or that I was in a bad mood when I tried it. Gonna play more after work. 

Just now, Your Mom said:

Any idea what they might announce today? Hoping something catches my eye outside of Mario. I love that dude but I already have 3 Mario games now or I guess technically 6 :P 

Will be surprised if there isn't some Zelda, given that the 35th anniversary is coming up.

• Like 1