The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

2 hours ago, LL. said:

Holy shit. It took me 7 hours just to get through the prologue of this thing. 

I'm just about to finish the first chapter!

Make sure you do the side quest where you get the boat! Get items while you're not playing!

Just now, Ruki Returns said:

I'm just about to finish the first chapter!

Make sure you do the side quest where you get the boat! Get items while you're not playing!

Yeah I did all the side quests I could before heading to the next location. Every time I stop playing now I make sure to leave it on explore. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LL. said:

Yeah I did all the side quests I could before heading to the next location. Every time I stop playing now I make sure to leave it on explore. 

Same. The first time I did? I got 10k gold.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I've been trying Mario 64 and just can't get into it because of the sucky camera. Is it like that on the other 2 games too? I think I might get rid of it if that's the case because I just can't navigate this messy stuff

Sunshine's camera is better. Galaxy is an amazing game. In my opinion the Galaxy series are the best 3D Mario games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Galaxy is excellent, but Odyssey surpassed it for me. I think getting rid of the lives system was a good idea.

I do not actually prefer the open world approach in Odyssey. I love the Galaxy/3D World approach where they have a small world that I explore in a time limit and everything is so curated and immaculate. I think to some of the worlds in Odyssey and think some of them are not as interesting. 

• Like 3

Just started chapter 2, and it's already obvious who Adelle's sister is. Really liking the class system though! I had Gloria as a white/black mage the whole game, but now I have her as a berserker... the ability to healing HP/MP on physical strikes (which she gained from Black/White mage) is great. I am training Gloria in White Mage to do the same. 

I want to like the thief and gambler class, but the steal rates are really low and the gambler, it costs money (which I accidentally spent all mine) for a lot of the skills + you might not get JP at the end of battle (which sucks, because I want the level 10 ability to get rare items).

6 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

Just started chapter 2, and it's already obvious who Adelle's sister is. Really liking the class system though! I had Gloria as a white/black mage the whole game, but now I have her as a berserker... the ability to healing HP/MP on physical strikes (which she gained from Black/White mage) is great. I am training Gloria in White Mage to do the same. 

I want to like the thief and gambler class, but the steal rates are really low and the gambler, it costs money (which I accidentally spent all mine) for a lot of the skills + you might not get JP at the end of battle (which sucks, because I want the level 10 ability to get rare items).

I was wondering what the benefit of mastering a class was. Does the class need to be equipped to get these rare items? And when do said rare items come into play? (I already mastered Black Mage with Elvis)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LL. said:

I was wondering what the benefit of mastering a class was. Does the class need to be equipped to get these rare items? And when do said rare items come into play? (I already mastered Black Mage with Elvis)

The rare item drops actually come from the gambler ability, where there's like a 10% chance of them dropping I think? But the point to mastering a class, you get a second passive ability with them.

I have Elvis mastered Black Mage (prevents all attack spells from being nullified or absorbed, but doesn't stop damage debuff or reflect.), Gloria mastered White Mage (all healing spells benefit all party members), and Adelle has mastered Vanguard physical attack power and crit chance are raised based on how likely the user is to be targeted). I've not mastered any classes on Seth yet, but got him high on Freelancer, Monk, and Beastmaster. I'm thinking of going back to freelancer, just to get the second JP up ability. But the class is just so boring and meh. 

On 08/03/2021 at 08:09, RPS said:

I do not actually prefer the open world approach in Odyssey. I love the Galaxy/3D World approach where they have a small world that I explore in a time limit and everything is so curated and immaculate. I think to some of the worlds in Odyssey and think some of them are not as interesting. 

I think Galaxy has the finest levels of the 3D Marios. 64 is definitely dated, I loved it at the time but it suffers from some problems that by the time Galaxy came around got corrected. Odyssey is a blast and so much fun to return to from time time just to collect more. But it does suffer from some camera problems.

Galaxy is a fantastic game. I just really really wish Nintendo included Galaxy 2 in 3D All Stars. I bought the game anyway, but dammit that's the one I wanted the most! I already own Sunshine 3 times at this point as well!

I think Galaxy 2 is probably the greatest 3D platformer ever made, just an absolute masterpiece of level design married perfectly with controls and gameplay mechanics. Everything that Mario titles are great for, but just done to perfection.

My simple test of if a game is well made or not is if, when you're doing badly, you blame yourself or the game. If you're blaming the game - the camera's in the wrong place, the controls are too clunky or unresponsive, the level design is unclear, or there's something just cheap like an enemy you don't see until the last second - it's poorly made, but if every time you fuck up you know that it's on you, you know what you should be doing to achieve, and you're happy to keep going until you manage it rather than getting frustrated, then it's well made. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 nail that probably better than anything I've ever played.

• Like 4