The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Cue a zillion fans speculating that Miyamoto himself is Bowser Jr.'s mother.

Also who's getting Super Mario Maker tomorrow? I think I'm going to be able to put it on my Best Buy credit card and pay it off at the end of the month when my check comes in. Yay using credit cards the way they're supposed to be used!

• Like 1

I really want it but unfortunately I also really want Rock Band 4 and Fallout 4 and a lot of other things so it might take a bit. If it had come out a week earlier, though, I would have for sure bought it on release just so Team EWB could have done a speedrun competition on King of Trios weekend.

The day one patch apparently eliminates the waiting period on new blocks, but I can't figure out how to get it to trigger. Scuttlebutt is that it requires placement of a certain number of blocks--which makes sense, as the first level I put together was pretty basic and mostly involved waves of Goombas falling into space.

It's pretty fun. Just seeing what other people are starting to put together with the tools has me excited to get everything. Some rad stuff happening.

EDIT: Here's how to trigger it.

1. Put at least one of every block available, including enemies. Spend a little time tooling around. Try wacky unexpected shit like shaking Piranha Plants and giving them wings and mushrooms and then loading them into a Bullet Bill shooter.

2. The delivery truck will promise new stuff the next day.

3. At this point, lay down an absolutely unreasonable amount of blocks. Just grab a block and drop a zillion of them everywhere. Eventually, the next set of content will appear. It doesn't take more than a few minutes.

4. Rinse, repeat.

This seems to be the most effective way anyway. That said, there's neat stuff in every single truck of content we've gotten so far. You start with the basics (Mushrooms, Goombas, Koopa Troopas, ? Blocks, etc.); then you get Lakitu (whom you can load with anything and he'll throw it) and a few power-ups and moving platforms; then you get underwater levels and Bullet Bill shooters (which you can also load with anything). The castle stuff is next; we haven't gotten it yet.

Edited by Sousa

I've got one level up, code is AC9C-0000-001B-EF1A. I think it's okay. A lot of it is just "let's see what I can do with these tools" so there are some silly jumps and such but eventually I landed on something that almost looks like a theme. Also it has secrets 'n stuff.

EDIT: Second level, Blathers vs. The Music Thieves, is up. 0184-0000-002A-480F. Meant to convey an Indiana Jones-ish underground temple except all Mario'd out. Lots of note blocks. Also a boss battle.

It is strange that you can't view your friends levels, but I'll check yours our later today. 

What I love is designing levels that deviate from the linear Mario experience. I made a maze level! So fun. 

• Like 1

Well I've got 56 lives left after finishing 8 levels, so mathematically I'm... probably going to do it? I've gotten more liberal in my use of the minus button after spending way too many lives trying to beat this "well here's a fuckton of Lakitus for no reason" level that just wasn't happening.

• Like 2

I played again and got to level 5 with 82 lives. The worst is spending a lot of lives on a hard, but potentially beatable level and getting to the end and seeing that it is in fact far too difficult to beat because it requires you to have three precise timed jumps on music note bouncy blocks far apart from each other. 

Edited by RPS

You're going to hate that second stage I put up. :shifty: 

UPDATE: I have beaten Expert-level 100 Mario Challenge! The reward was... another random Mystery Mushroom form. YEAH BABY

(it was the Mario Kart one admittedly which is pretty rad)

Edited by Sousa
  • Like 2